Builds Box Rocket 1980 1st Gen Hilux (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are a few things I forgot to add to this thread. We made a simple vertical spare tire "mount" and brackets for a hilift and fuel can along with a weather proof aluminum surplus box to hold tools etc. This was done last year but I forgot to add the pics etc here.

Spare tire mount. After having this in the truck for a while we've decided to move it to the driver side of the bed instead of the passenger side. It blocks visibility in it's current location and works much better behind the driver. Just waiting for my son to be home from college for the summer and we'll make some of these updates.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Mil-surplus medical supply box is being used for tools etc. This is bolted down and we added a way to lock it.

Additional tie-down tracks using Mil-surplus tie-downs from a C-130 cargo plane. Total overkill for this little truck but they're pretty cool parts.

Hilift bracket

The forward bracket for the hilift included a "basket" for a fuel can. There's a cable lock through the fuel can handle and spare tire to keep them from walking away.

Lastly we addressed some of the suspension. The Doetsch Tech shocks were totally worn out and needed to be replaced. I had replaced the Slinky shocks in my 80 with some dual bypass shocks and had the 2.5 adjustable shocks that came off the cruiser so we decided to modify the shock mounts to accept the Slinky shocks. These are pretty firm since they are valved for the cruiser but setting them on the softest setting has been acceptable on the little truck. My son will have them rebuilt and valved properly as soon as he's saved up the money to rebuild them. But these are working soooo much better than the old DT shocks.

I noticed that there are a couple things we've done with the truck since my last post. First off, I had found a great deal on a new Lock-Right locker for a Tacoma 8.4 diff a couple years ago. I bought it thinking I'd just hold onto it for a while because we've planned to get another 1st gen Tacoma for my daughter who will be driving in a couple years. Then I realized we had a Tacoma 8.4 axle on the side of the house in the parts Tacoma that we used for the drivetrain swap on this truck.
The Tacoma axle adds a little width and we could remove the wheel spacers we were using. The 8.4 diff is really an 8" diff like the other Toyota minitruck axles but has a few differences like the two carrier braces that aren't on the other diffs. Those braces add some strength to the diff so it's not a bad option if you're not looking to run e-lockers.
Anyway we pulled the axle off the Tacoma and installed the Lock-Right and threw the axle under this truck. Spring perches are in the right spots so it was essentially a direct bolt in with just a little bit of creativity needed for brake lines and parking brake cable routing. We got that sorted and now the truck has a rear locker. We still have a e-locker 80 series front diff that we plan to install in the front axle at some point. The body, front axle and tcases are the only early truck parts left. Everything else is Tacoma.

The other thing we did recently has been sitting on the shelf for a while. I got a refurbished Warn M8000 winch for my son for Christmas. We got a new synthetic winch rope for it and got it installed on the front bumper. We were worried about whether it would fit because we had looked at the space for the winch and whether my ComeUp winch would fit and it wouldn't. So we thought we might need to modify the bumper slightly. But the Warn winch is a bit narrower and fit in the bumper without issue. Only thing we needed to do was make a custom bracket for the control box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom