Bourbon. What are you drinking right now? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If another one could make it toward Raleigh (or specifically Holly Springs along with Jonathan's) I'd like to try a bottle after all I've heard.
I'm going down to Greenville, tomorrow if you guys can make arrangements,for me to pick up. I can get it your way on the 12th.

The EH Taylor is definitely a favorite daily sipper for me. So when I can find some I stock up. Everything from the small batch up to the seasonal limited releases is always solid. Still hunting a bottle of the Warehouse C Tornado Surviving. Just need to find a trade I am willing to make for it. I have had a chance to try it a few times and it lives up to the hype!
Really? That good huh? I remember seeing the story on that particular bottle, but I've obviously never seen it in person or actually tasted it

I'm going down to Greenville, tomorrow if you guys can make arrangements,for me to pick up. I can get it your way on the 12th.

Great, I have two bottles left so will designate them for @lumbee1 & @SeanLX . Will text you Eric for coordinating handoff.

Great, I have two bottles left so will designate them for @lumbee1 & @SeanLX . Will text you Eric for coordinating handoff.

@forrest5000 was in Greenville today but I was unable to get the bottles to him before he left so I think I can get them to someone to hand off to him on the GA Traverse this coming weekend but we do risk them getting consumed!!

I wish I had joined this thread earlier. I just moved from Memphis and brought about $1k worth of bourbon. I could have brought a lot more.

Cool story bro. What's important in this thread isn't quantity, but quality. What special things did you bring from whiskey country?

I wish I had joined this thread earlier. I just moved from Memphis and brought about $1k worth of bourbon. I could have brought a lot more.

Go back and reclaim your abandoned bourbon. :)

Things just about all of us love in ONSC: Whisky, Meat, Land Cruisers, Good Beer. You're in good company here my dude.

Bought this earlier, but tried tonight before I start my evening work.

Heather and I sipped on small amounts with no ice and no water, and then had a second tasting with a touch of water.

The Jameson was pretty much like all Jameson's - maybe even sweeter. I can drink it like beer . . dangerous.

The Turning Point had a side taste that was . . different. Heather preferred it to the others.

The Four Roses was just "hotter." Maybe something to "work up" to. It seemed to get a lot better with some water, but what do we know :)

20190109_185718.jpg

So if I wanted to get one bottle - pretty decent stuff, not to chase me off - - money is "kinda" important, but say, $50 or so . . .what should I drink as my intro to Bourbon?

Or is this some kinda "you gotta drink the classics first to understand" thing?

I see Four Roses come up a lot and high on the Whisky Advocate radar.

I had a period of trying to drink Scotch and failed at it - never enjoyed it.

We have a lot of good options over at The Mod from Buffalo Trace, but not seeing much of it discussed among the media BS online.

I truly love this question because I am a huge "value-for-money" whiskey/scotch drinker. I want my $30 stuff to taste like a $50 bottle and my $50 stuff to taste like an $80 bottle, etc... I love both the cheap and expensive stuff and there is place in my cabinets for the entire spectrum. Here's my ($.01 + $.01 = $.02) in relative order of price...

• Four Roses Yellow Label (or whatever they re-branded it as lately) - You can find this as cheap as $20 a bottle and it is truly not bad. The beauty of it is you can sip it straight if you like or not feel like a heathen mixing it. It ain't as sexy as it's older siblings, YR - Small Batch & YR - Single Barrell, but for the price you can't beat it. Keep it out in the open (and your expensive stuff hidden) so that when your alcoholic buddy comes and drinks half the bottle you don't resent him the next day.
  • Eagle Rare - When you can find it in the NC ABC stores it is usually in the mid-30's. I've been drinking it for a decade now and it never disappoints. It's kinda like the Toyota Camry of bourbons, super reliable, predictable and doesn't ask for much attention. If you need a respectable cost effective daily-driver...oops I mean daily-drinker it is a solid choice.
  • Noah Mills - This one has just recently landed on my radar screen but dang if I'm not thoroughly enjoying it more and more. Seems like you can find it at around $50. The label and overall marketing sucks but don't let that stop you. At 57%+ alc/vol it is hot like Bookers but feels to me slightly more refined. I don't typically start out with it, but after a half pour of something milder first, Noah Mills is a nice transition.
  • Breckenridge Colorado Whiskey - This is the ultimate sleeper in my opinion. I've commented on it previously in this thread. This usually costs me about $55 but there are times when I've picked it up online in the $40s. This is my desert-island bourbon (in the $50ish price range). I typically can't find it in NC ABC stores but when I see it out-of-state I always have to buy a bottle regardless of how much whiskey I've already purchased at the moment. My best testament to it involves the evening our local whiskey club was sampling a wide range of bourbons and we were working our way up to Pappy Van Winkle 12yr. When I did a side-by-side taste test of the two it was really difficult to tell the two of them apart on the front end. Now on the back end, Breckenridge tapered off in a dignified manner whereas Pappy continued on in veritable thesis of flavors. However, Pappy is essentially in-obtanium and Breckenridge is accessible. You may be thinking... You were 10+ "drams" in by then, doesn't everything taste incredible at that point. The answer is Yes, everything did taste incredible at that point but that doesn't change my recommendation. Buy it, try it, enjoy it!
Now I know the OP had to do with Bourbon but I feel compelled to share the following regarding Scotch...
  • Teachers Highland Cream Blend - The price on a 1.75 liter bottle is around $30 or less and is just a ridiculous value for the money. It is light, sweet, a little peaty, and just down right easy and pleasant to work with. I frequently drink it straight but at that price I don't feel hesitation mixing it with something.
As a side note, friends will frequently tell me that they do not like Scotch. When I press them on the topic they often share stories of overwhelming peatiness, smokiness, and evil circus clowns killing distant relatives with Scotch on their breath. I call BS. Just like Bourbon, Scotch is amazing! Don't give up on either and don't believe the prejudicial hype that one is crap and the other is great. Instead, I believe there is a specific order in which these spirits were made to be drank in. ...An optimal order in which each drink complements the previous yet raises the bar so that you experience maximum enjoyment from each one. Here is my formula for maximum whiskey happiness for a whiskey-drinking-evening: (use small pours so that you can still stand up by the end...)
  1. Start out your tasting evening with a cheaper bourbon or Highland scotch to open up your taste buds
  2. Move on to better quality bourbon or Highland scotch and appreciate the superior flavors your starting to notice
  3. Continue with this pattern until your ready to switch gear to something more intense and exotic
  4. Transition to a scotch hybrid flavor such as: Talisker 10 year, Ardmore Classic (not Legacy), or Bruichladdich Classic Laddie. These have both characteristics of a Highland and an Islay scotch morphed together into the perfect love-child.
  5. When you are done in the hybrid sandbox, introduce yourself to the bigger hitters of the smokey, peaty arena of Islays such as: Laphroig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, etc. (now your taste buds are actually ready for this level of action)
  6. When you are almost done for the evening but need one more half-dram of something, try the following: Balvenie 12yr Doublewood, or Highland Park Dark Orgins. The rich sweetness of these contrasted to the comparative savory taste of the Islays will feel like Creme Brulee after a 5 star Argentinian-Steak-Dinner. You will be so content and happy you won't be able to stand it.
  7. Call an Uber and go home.
Follow this formula and you will find yourself addicted to both Land Cruisers, Bourbon, and Scotch! Enjoy!:clap:

Last edited:
Really? That good huh? I remember seeing the story on that particular bottle, but I've obviously never seen it in person or actually tasted it

Yeah. It is an extremely good pour. I have enjoyed the Seasoned Wood and Four Grain, but the Warehouse C tops them.

Is it wrong to be halfway through the Jameson bottle after two days?

Is it wrong to be halfway through the Jameson bottle after two days?

Not wrong, but try harder next time and you can make it through the whole bottle.

I bought a liter of Ancient Ancient Age 10 year. It was covered in dust and there were two more left for about $20 if I remember correctly. Wow. Whoever recommended that as a distant of Blanton's wasn't far off the mark. I'm gonna have to go back and get the other two.

Virginia Gentleman. No, just no. It is wrong in so many ways. If you have a taste for it, I will give it to you the next time I am down visiting.

Local friend just sent me this from Green’s, our regional liquor store....a bit pricier than what I’ve paid in past in Atlanta so I refrained from having him buy any for me. I'm going to check Total Wine soon to see if they also got some in. Be interesting to see how long it remains in stock.
To clarify: this is not 10 year bourbon but it has 10 stars (???? what does that mean?) It is a 6 year bourbon. It may have been a 10 year at one time, I don't know but happy to have discovered it.

492D7624-3C9A-4EA0-AF31-FFB352F7498E.jpeg

To clarify: this is not 10 year bourbon but it has 10 stars (???? what does that mean?) It is a 6 year bourbon. It may have been a 10 year at one time, I don't know but happy to have discovered it.

One of those “marketing” things to help keep sales up when you have to drop the age of the juice. I do think it was a 10-year at one time. Kinda sneaky to leave the “10” on there, but change what it means.

Like this?

Whiskey.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom