Borgeson U-joint Installation Help Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

74HogGuy

Lifetime Rookie
Threads
I’ve read several different things saying to not weld the borgeson steering U-joint to the steering column and others that say just weld it.

I’m using the 3/4” bore ujoint and it doesn’t come with a provision to pin it. I’ve also read just to weld slow and let cool and keep a wet cloth on the u joint to prevent damage.

Need the collective thoughts on MUD. Thanks!

00419C38-E93C-4AE3-ADB1-3F05B5B15946.jpeg
BF774888-C4AE-4D4B-85D2-A8DBAEEB926C.jpeg

I’ve read several different things saying to not weld the borgeson steering U-joint to the steering column and others that say just weld it.

I’m using the 3/4” bore ujoint and it doesn’t come with a provision to pin it. I’ve also read just to weld slow and let cool and keep a wet cloth on the u joint to prevent damage.

Need the collective thoughts on MUD. Thanks!

View attachment 1699723 View attachment 1699724
I have the joint like the one on the left in your pic. It has adjustment screws on both ends so I had to grind a flat on the column shaft for it to slide over then I tightened with the screws. For the other style I would probably run 2 or 3 short beads cooling in between with water immediately to not melt the bearings. If u weld it on though, how do u get the column out if u need to pull it for some reason? In my experience the more permanent I make something so that it's difficult to service, it seems like said part for some reason I find myself servicing in the near future and upset I made it so difficult.

Internet doing strange things...removed double post

DA689864-865C-415D-9CD8-F4397F133A96.jpeg

Last edited:
@White Stripe - technically the old shaft had a rag joint end on it, so I didn’t see any difference in welding this on over having that big metal flange on it.

I suppose the end was a press fit, but how often are these pulled apart? I’ll probably be eating those words, but really not wanting to source another one. Now I’m curious what IPOR does on their installs since they supplied this.
View attachment 1699772

I just finished a P/S conversion and I ran into the same problem, albeit with the older style steering column. I ended up ordering the same style joint but with set screws on both ends so I didn't have to weld it on, and like White Stripe said it can be easily removed for any servicing that needs to be done. Hope it helps, good luck.

@moonshadow and @White Stripe ...guess I’ll order the right borgeson joint to be safe. Did you guys do the double D and shape the column or just rely on the set screw? Seems like a screw would have the chance to sheer.

I gues technically u still have a square firewall plate u can unbolt to take the column Out right?

I can still pull the entire steering column, but wouldn’t be able to pull the steering shaft from the tube if there was a reason.

Last edited:
Is there material to drill and tap for a set screw? Put a dimple, shallow drilled hole, in the shaft for the set screw to seat in.

You need a different universal joint. When I did mine I picked up a universal with DD on both ends. After cutting off the rag joint end I ground flats onto the steering column shaft and slid on the universal.

DSC00909 reduced.JPG

If you weld on the universal you'll play hell getting it off if it ever needs replacing for some reason.

I did use the DD joint and ground the two flats to match on the steering shaft. Slow and sure though, you don't want to take off too much and have it be sloppy. Then you can drill a through hole for the set screw.

Thanks everyone. I'll try to exercise some patience and order the correct part. Go figure the Borgeson site isn't working for me...

HogGuy, please weld your upper universal joint to the stock Toyota shaft:
1. If you cross drill the stock shaft it becomes too weak.
2. If you set screw people die. I've been involved in set screw law suites.
Problem is when you are out wheeling and the tries come against a rock/boulder, the extreme pressure in your steering system wants to stall the steering, which then causes you to put way too much pressure on a set screw or cross bolt- - -just saying.

@Downey - I confirmed with IPOR this morning and they also recommended stitch welding it to the stock shaft. So I'll be going that route. Thank you for chiming in!

Justin

Looking how those U joints caps and yokes are dimpled for retaining the caps, are you sure they can be replaced. If they can't be replaced, Id be reluctant to weld them in place. I use a more conventional yoke and U joint on that end of the steering shaft, that I know I can get a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom