Bolt on turbo kit (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I still have half your inventory to procure before I go boggin'deep and doin' it for Dale.

Edit: Also curious why I ended up with a 3" PVC pipe cap in my last order from you. Are you missing one? Or is it to help employ the radiator hose kit??

that’s for installing the crank seal
1569021206275.png

[QUOTE="LandLocked93, post: 12607992, member: 142841]
Edit: Also curious why I ended up with a 3" PVC pipe cap in my last order from you. Are you missing one? Or is it to help employ the radiator hose kit??

Pipecap? Heck man!

I got a glo-in-the-dark, party sized Summer sausage “adult toy”.

I wasn’t going to say anything, but now............ :hillbilly:;):hillbilly:
[/QUOTE]

Scary part is, it wasn't glow in the dark before Joey unpacked it

@NLXTACY - I'm preparing for the turbo install - do you suggest a tape type turbo down-pipe wrap like this for your kit? Do you have any concerns about the wrap pre-maturely cracking the down-pipe?

@NLXTACY - I'm preparing for the turbo install - do you suggest a tape type turbo down-pipe wrap like this for your kit? Do you have any concerns about the wrap pre-maturely cracking the down-pipe?

titanium wrap is newer than the stuff I used on my 68 Camaro so I can’t say specifically but in my experience wrap tends to hold in moisture. It’s likely a small issue if you live in drier climates. I know @Briano is using it on his truck now.

FWIW I have a downpipe blanket being developed now.

I wrapped mine, along with the short connector I had made, I’m not all that worried about moisture, I live in Colorado and don’t do much winter driving in my 80!

As a side note, anyone on the fence should go for it, this is the single best improvement I’ve made to my 80!

15F6B5B3-A98C-49FC-84DF-7BB9D96BFA59.jpeg

1D9471C5-8CF3-4A15-A860-B076AE451D70.jpeg

105B16B9-A2FD-4087-A1C4-219FBD0BC00C.jpeg

CF2221F7-3A55-409B-8FAD-BF5A7AAC6066.jpeg

56B75E5A-813D-4135-9ED8-81574EF8C7DE.jpeg

titanium wrap is newer than the stuff I used on my 68 Camaro so I can’t say specifically but in my experience wrap tends to hold in moisture.

FWIW I have a downpipe blanket being developed now.

Haha, my ‘68 Camaro I had wrapped the primaries with a full encapsulated asbestos in coarse TI sleeve.

Install went perfect, started wrap at bottom & wrapped up to the head flange so all bottom edges faced down/away, SS zipties were plenty & not overtight, light brushing of pure silicone oil after wrap/before install (supposed to act like a water barrier) - your basic MUD O/C-d -approved type of install.

Long story short: - It looked like crap by 12K / ~7yrs installed.

At 12K you could see where the SS had burned out the nickel/pitting progressing down to 1/2 way from head flange to merge collector, so ~16” from head.

I was O/C-D putting up in winter, knew all the tricks like motor cleaning was done by hand/ rags & spray bottles, no pressure washer/garden hose ever, ran motor well past self-cleaning temps to avoid any condensation.

Never drove it in downpour rain, maybe drove <30x total on roads that were anything but bone dry, never enough water to spray off the tires on the highway.

Headers were a longtube but budget-friendly set of entry Hookers, weren’t that cheap Chineseium type SS, they were polished decent stuff.
—————

I recently spoke with a sprint car motor builder who builds Outlaw -type that run on clay tracks, he used wrap “back when” but now is 100% in favor of ceramic coating esp when tracks are still green & slinging clay mud.

If I were to do anything for heat mitigation, ceramic coating is the only way for any of us not down in the SW region.
You just can’t win with wrap in the PNW, at least IME.

———Link the local guy sent me later after we talked - I’d only skimmed it but seemed like it was solid evidence for ceramic coating:

I’ve been told the ceramic coating is only 20% efficient. That’s not a tiny amount, but not a bunch either.

Down & j-pipe looks beautiful now. In several it isn’t, I would consider a sandblast & ceramic, but more for looks than function.

If you want to discuss Swaintech, that is another level. But has been determined unnecessary for this application.

I’ve been told the ceramic coating is only 20% efficient. That’s not a tiny amount, but not a bunch either.

Down & j-pipe looks beautiful now. In several it isn’t, I would consider a sandblast & ceramic, but more for looks than function.

If you want to discuss Swaintech, that is another level. But has been determined unnecessary for this application.

TBH, I don’t know enough about the different ceramics, Jet-Hot & Swaintech are the only 2 brands I know offhand - I bet there’s a ton of ones that are just glorified hi-temp paint.

We (Shell refinery) sent out some spoolpieces for Jet-Hot just because the coating kept the exposed SS from corroding too quickly when rained on & water flashed instantly- JH coating extended the life before mechanics had to patch pinholes or change entire pieces, so it was a cost-effective / runtime between replacement -thing.

I just think of heat wrap like 8-tracks & performance coatings are more like the digital age of music.

Each had it’s time, but nobody installs a fresh 8-track in their car anymore.

You could easily get better results with heat tape since you live in the SW - Up here it’s just too soggy for mostly DD type use.

Wheres mine :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom