Bolt on turbo kit (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Backing those numbers in to the crank numbers I get 375 hp and 450 ft/lb torque. Holy cow.

The Dyno numbers are in:

Stock Before 121awhp and 170ft/lbs
Wits End TC 214awhp and 277ft/lbs

What formula did you use?

My math:

214hp x 1.3 = 278 hp at the crank ( accounting for 30% drivetrain loss)

The Dyno numbers are in:

Stock Before 121awhp and 170ft/lbs

My math:

That math doesn't work right. You're looking for the original number with a 30% loss. By taking the awhp and multiplying by 1.3 you're adding 30% of 214 hp, versus using:
100% crank - 30% loss = 70% power at wheels
(1 - .3 =.7)
X = crank hp, solve for variable

.7 * X = 214hp.

X = 214hp/.7

X = 305.714 crank Hp.

This way you're solving for the 30% drivetrain from the crank to the wheel.

This is also assuming 30% loss. No real way to know what we're actually losing without a lot of other variables and math.

The Dyno numbers are in:

Stock Before 120awhp and 170ft/lbs

My math:

hp x1.77 to get the 120awhp to the quoted 212 of stock
tq x1.62 to get the 170ft/lbs to the 275 quoted of stock engine

so 378hp 448tq is what I got.

If we wanted real drive train loss % we should have paid Joey to pull the front shaft and lock the case for another pull! At least we could see the loss through the front. It's all speculation at this point.

Last edited:
Took the gain of each (78% hp and 63% torque) and applied that to the stock horsepower and torque numbers (212 & 275).

hp x1.77 to get the 121awhp to the quoted 212 of stock
tq x1.62 to get the 170ft/lbs to the 275 quoted of stock engine

so 378hp 448tq is what I got.

This.

Wait what? I think that’s off by 100

I double checked. I expected 275 at 5 psi. We are clearly seeing efficiency gains. I wouldn’t expect these gains until about 10-12 psi.

What rear bumper is that on the turbo truck?

Blue and red (7.25psi)
None of that will need to be addressed by the end user. That is all part of the tuning process. Using multiple springs inside the waste gate is how Tial sets their pressure so yes 2 springs work fine and in some cases you use as many as 4 springs. But again the end user will not have anything to do with the springs.

MVRspc.png

I double checked. I expected 275 at 5 psi. We are clearly seeing efficiency gains. I wouldn’t expect these gains until about 10-12 psi.

It produced those numbers at around 7.25. Not a huge change, but a bit different

I was hoping for actual HP equivalent to my truck, (2004 GMC Sierra Z71) 285 HP.

Then I was gonna test them side by side. 😗

But unfortunately before this project was finish, my GMC met its demise by in unlicensed & uninsured driver who rolled my truck on the Cajon Pass. Luckily I rolled into the mountain, not off. 😳

1B422D84-5E6C-4084-8ED3-2A43EA0505A2.jpeg

It’ll be fun to see what cars this beast is faster than. 😁

I was hoping for actual HP equivalent to my truck, (2004 GMC Sierra Z71) 285 HP.

Then I was gonna test them side by side. 😗

But unfortunately before this project was finish, my GMC met its demise by in unlicensed & uninsured driver who rolled my truck on the Cajon Pass. Luckily I rolled into the mountain, not off. 😳

View attachment 1956196

It’ll be fun to see what cars this beast is faster than. 😁
Damn! Stolen?

Damn! Stolen?

Nope, I was driving it. Had my 4-year old & mother in law in the car with me.

60 MPH in the truck lane, just crusin & saving fuel going uphill.

B!+ch doing 90 MPH, weaving through traffic came up on me FAST. I tried to correct it while sideways across the # 3, 2, & 1 lane. Soon as I hit the sand it was game over & we went barrel rolling.

I’m really lucky I didn’t hit the point of the guard rail broadside. Had it been 20-30 yards closer, it would have punch my passenger door directly. MIL would have been toast. 😮

Back on topic! Ryan, have you reviewed the data & attempt to extrapolate crank HP from all of this data?

B!+ch doing 90 MPH, weaving through traffic came up on me FAST. I tried to correct it while sideways across the # 3, 2, & 1 lane. Soon as I hit the sand it was game over & we went barrel rolling.

I’m really lucky I didn’t hit the point of the guard rail broadside. Had it been 20-30 yards closer, it would have punch my passenger door directly. MIL would have been toast. 😮

Back on topic! Ryan, have you reviewed the data & attempt to extrapolate crank HP from all of this data?
Oh crap!!! Glad you and fam are safe.

/back on topic......

The extrapolation from AWHP to crank HP is really more voodoo than science/math. Sure we can take the stock numbers and estimate the % of drivetrain loss.

120awhp/212crank hp = 56%

And then multiply that out, but it is very unlikely that all things are 100% even in the calculations.

My estimates would be you would need an engine that made

Around 310-330 crank hp and 400-420ft/lbs to equal the turbo kit.

We should respond like Rolls Royce and Bentley used to say in response to the question of horsepower and torque: “Adequate.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom