Bolt on turbo kit (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why sensationalize something that you don't even know is a problem in a thread dedicated to someone who both helps the community and makes a living doing it?

"Hot!" and then you really have no idea if it is hot. You don't know if your sensor is working and you don't give any location for the sensor.

I can tell you without even looking at your setup there is something wrong. An EGT of 2000f an inch from the turbo would mean melted pistons.

that was kinda harsh.
I did explain I had no idea if it was accurate while it is reading a temperature. Other times it shows”open” which means a fault somewhere.
sorry, I’m not a huge motor head. I was just asking a question.
would a PM be more appropriate? I’m sure someone out in the world would have a similar question. Maybe the guages thread would have been more appropriate?
I’m very happy with mine, but just working out some bugs on my end. I thought it was an appropriate thread to inquire.
I had zero intention of offending anyone, I was just looking for advice & knowledge.
Sensor is plumbed into the front exhaust manifold.

Not meant to be harsh, but as a reminder that there are probably 100ish people in the 80 section that will read a majority of the posts and know what is going on and the personalities here. A bunch of people will read 15-40% and a bunch will get here from a search or are only on here occasionally. If the first thing they read in a Turbo thread dedicated to a product is that it is making someone's EGT 2000f it is one heck of a deterrent. I don't believe that you did it intentionally but a better place would have been in your own build thread or even the gauge thread and to do less to sensationalize it and more to ask a question.

Something more like:

"Damn! I bought these new gauges, I am getting faults, I do have an EGT probe in the front exhaust manifold and it shows open and I am seeing readings of 2000f. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with it? I am going to check my grounds, the sensor, and the wiring but just looking for ideas."

I am NOT saying that you can not critique a product, I think this is the perfect place to do that. But I do want the critiques to actually be about the product and not about an ancillary add on that might not be working.

that was kinda harsh.
I did explain I had no idea if it was accurate while it is reading a temperature. Other times it shows”open” which means a fault somewhere.
sorry, I’m not a huge motor head. I was just asking a question.
would a PM be more appropriate? I’m sure someone out in the world would have a similar question. Maybe the guages thread would have been more appropriate?
I’m very happy with mine, but just working out some bugs on my end. I thought it was an appropriate thread to inquire.
I had zero intention of offending anyone, I was just looking for advice & knowledge.
Sensor is plumbed into the front exhaust manifold.

A couple more shots of the downpipe blanket. Gonna do up some product photography then get to installing this bad boy.

View attachment 2134746

I’m very familiar with housing blankets for steam turbines, and these are excellent mini-versions of what I know was an outside vendor for our 600# & 250# steam driven process pumps. I’m looking esp at the stitching / edging where we ate blankets from vibes.

———————————
Take as a grain of salt, but the buttonheads of hardware meant we ‘looped‘ the SS wire, letting it all stay static but looser wrapped as it couldn’t ‘creep/walk’ between anchors.

The final terminals -or if we saw them mid-way- was for the way the SS wire to pass as in pics. They were simple J-hook heads there we’d double wrap on end terminals and add a eye-loop to each wire end.
————————————

Just passing along what I was taught in refinery application - I almost don’t know if refinery of underhood is more punishing an environment, just tossing out what was explicitly taught as to how to ‘read’ the blankets outside vendors made/engineers spec’d to them.

=== They look the money, Joey - for sure!

Test hard and often 😀

Take as a grain of salt, but the buttonheads of hardware meant we ‘looped‘ the SS wire, letting it all stay static but looser wrapped as it couldn’t ‘creep/walk’ between anchors.

The final terminals -or if we saw them mid-way- was for the way the SS wire to pass as in pics. They were simple J-hook heads there we’d double wrap on end terminals and add a eye-loop to each wire end.

Help me understand better.

Do you have any pics of "properly" wired retainers? I'm not comprehending from your description. Just being thick today, I guess.......

Help me understand better.

Do you have any pics of "properly" wired retainers? I'm not comprehending from your description. Just being thick today, I guess.......

I’m not in the process units these days, but the “T” shaped side profile of the blankets meant you took a full wrap around a buttonhead (what we called the ‘T’ ones) - so in the example of Joey’s blanket you would wrap some ~450* between the 360* loop and the ~90* of the lattice.

The “J” hooks were more an upside down J - they were where we passed wire like in Joey’s pic.

The reason for the full wrap was so you could secure the blanket to the tightness desired, but it didn’t have any effect on wire tightness at the next fixture since it had that loop.

We really used it most to go very tight on a upward face blanket, then as we wrapped flanges we’d loosen the blanket wrap there as it was a slip-point under shock, or a flange off a pump, the vibes would friction-wear holes in the blanket.

IDK why there was always a J at the blanket ends, as we would do that same full wrap on those, and the pigtail we made a little ‘eye’ in to reduce snagging hazard.

—Did that help? If not, I can‘t take pics as phones/cameras aren’t allowed in process unit (like anything is trade secret anymore :rolleyes: ) - but I can try google pics if needed.

—Did that help? If not, I can‘t take pics as phones/cameras aren’t allowed in process unit (like anything is trade secret anymore :rolleyes: ) - but I can try google pics if needed.

Yes please! I'm not comprehending either.

I'm interested in knowing what's what from a pro. Please continue. I'm also not real bright, so please use smaller words and pictures.

The reason for the full wrap was so you could secure the blanket to the tightness desired, but it didn’t have any effect on wire tightness at the next fixture since it had that loop
This ^^ makes total sense, keeps the wire taunt without cranking the wrap down mega.

^^^ Hahaha, I’m going to bow out on blanket talk at this point, J’s way is plenty fine & really the only reason we all did it a very specific refinery way was it trickled down from engineers, and any refinery worker from a mechanic to operator knew how to install/undo/ pull back isolated sections when we sprung leaks.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the way Joey did is a automotive standard. Enough rabbit-trail from me anyhow.

And, I had to chuckle, thanks to Boeing surplus I have 3 sets of safety wire pliers & a few bolt-head drilling jigs.

If anyone wants a insulation thread, pick a subforum, tag me & I’ll reply there.

......Back to overall ‘bolt-on turbo kit’ -discussion :cool:

^^^ Hahaha, I’m going to bow out on blanket talk at this point, J’s way is plenty fine & really the only reason we all did it a very specific refinery way was it trickled down from engineers, and any refinery worker from a mechanic to operator knew how to install/undo/ pull back isolated sections when we sprung leaks.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the way Joey did is a automotive standard. Enough rabbit-trail from me anyhow.

And, I had to chuckle, thanks to Boeing surplus I have 3 sets of safety wire pliers & a few bolt-head drilling jigs.

If anyone wants a insulation thread, pick a subforum, tag me & I’ll reply there.

......Back to overall ‘bolt-on turbo kit’ -discussion :cool:

yeah I didn’t see the whole safety wire discussion until someone PM’d me about it yesterday. I just happened to be installing it and thought what the heck. I pulled out my safety wire pliers...then realized no one is going to have safety wire pliers so I grabbed a pair of needle nose.

I wouldn’t mind doing an actual safety wire demo but I’m 100% sure there are plenty of examples already on YouTube.

And btw @LINUS I am still curious about the method you are talking about. I was trying to wrap my head around it but I couldn’t visual it. 😞

Good show Joey, really helped. :)

@NLXTACY - OK, I just took it as a “rabbit trail” -ender that you made a video, and so I suppose I’ll try & sketch out what we do / the hardware, etc.

When I can, I’ll drop a link then, prob edit this post when I do, just to help keep the talk here ‘broad strokes’.

Honestly though, I did watch to see & the ~270* way you wrap is already well over the simple ‘zig-zag’ approach - you can control the tension from each wrap decently your way, and I didn’t want to hijack or overstep.

:beer::beer: - all cool, your product, your thread, I‘m just the peanut gallery / cheap seats ATM...........I still need to buy my next property before I do the snail.

One last post to showcase what happens when you don’t follow instructions. Everything was going back together after the exhaust leak. The new downpipe blanket went and and in doing so noticed the burnt edges of the turbo blanket. Took it off only to realize the exhaust leak had destroyed the blanket. It had to have happened when we were really pushing it and the exhaust could have easily hit 1500°+

All from a stupid clamp not being installed. Lesson learned and luckily I have extras of everything.

542952E3-9D83-4173-AD5F-EAAB2C58C39C.jpeg
ED3C77DC-8382-4537-9144-6FAFE91DFB5D.jpeg
3577BC59-44F8-4A1A-B058-C691433BF357.jpeg
9770245A-C926-462A-9A74-E7B474AD1C0C.jpeg

^^^^
Forget the ‘burrito warmer’, we makin’ steak fajitas on the snail, folks!!!!!!

-Something about living that best life, right? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom