Bolt on 80 Series Tire Carrier Compatible with Factory Bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All finished!
8EB3B4B9-8A93-4BBE-A408-D37A9C0E5207.jpeg

05B3F484-18C0-4614-A952-BCBEDF60A84D.jpeg

1258C19A-5140-4DA9-8121-9DE0522E3309.jpeg

Made a license plate relocator prototype today. I started with 1/16" but thought it was a little flimsy. So I bumped it up to 1/8". Probably overkill but much better. Has a little over 2" of adjustment. Still have to play with it and adjust things but it's in motion. Next project will be the rotopax holder.
IMG_20221213_170813689.jpg
IMG_20221213_170806690.jpg

Didn’t run into too many issues thankfully.

First issue was of course the difficulty cutting the bumper support bracket, but again, that’s only a problem with 91-92s as of now, and not an issue with the product itself.

1st major issue was the clearance of the plastic bumper back onto the body with the actual frame mount of the tire carrier.

4B510CD6-63EE-419A-8435-6EF4CBD97503.jpeg

Where I am pointing to in the picture, the frame mount is hitting the inside of the bumper. Which doesn’t allow the bumper to line up properly with its original mounting holes. I actually thought that I had not cut enough material out of the way for the spindle. But after about an hour of cutting and trying out different angles, I realized that the bumper was being stopped by the frame mount.

Got so frustrated with it that I cut out so much more material than I had to for the spindle.

2nd issue was by cutting away so much of the bumper support bracket, there are only 3 main locations where the original bolts that hold the bumper in place can mount up to. I mean it’s a tiny issue. Nothing a couple of zip ties can’t fix. But it may bother a few ppl that the bumper doesn’t sit flush or as straight as it used to.

3rd issue was with the instructions. They didn’t state how far down the tire carrier should slide down the spindle. I’ve never had much experience with spindles and bearings from the get go so my initial thought was that the tire carrier would slide ALL the way down the spindle, not realizing that it wasn’t meant to do that, so I spent a good 20mins hammering the tire carrier onto the spindle with a wood black and a sledge hammer. But again, It’s mostly because I didn’t realize it.

Reactions: GGM
Made a license plate relocator prototype today. I started with 1/16" but thought it was a little flimsy. So I bumped it up to 1/8". Probably overkill but much better. Has a little over 2" of adjustment. Still have to play with it and adjust things but it's in motion. Next project will be the rotopax holder.
View attachment 3193039View attachment 3193042
Soooooooo excited. Looking great so far!

Reactions: GGM
Didn’t run into too many issues thankfully.

First issue was of course the difficulty cutting the bumper support bracket, but again, that’s only a problem with 91-92s as of now, and not an issue with the product itself.

1st major issue was the clearance of the plastic bumper back onto the body with the actual frame mount of the tire carrier.

View attachment 3193093

Where I am pointing to in the picture, the frame mount is hitting the inside of the bumper. Which doesn’t allow the bumper to line up properly with its original mounting holes. I actually thought that I had not cut enough material out of the way for the spindle. But after about an hour of cutting and trying out different angles, I realized that the bumper was being stopped by the frame mount.

Got so frustrated with it that I cut out so much more material than I had to for the spindle.

2nd issue was by cutting away so much of the bumper support bracket, there are only 3 main locations where the original bolts that hold the bumper in place can mount up to. I mean it’s a tiny issue. Nothing a couple of zip ties can’t fix. But it may bother a few ppl that the bumper doesn’t sit flush or as straight as it used to.

3rd issue was with the instructions. They didn’t state how far down the tire carrier should slide down the spindle. I’ve never had much experience with spindles and bearings from the get go so my initial thought was that the tire carrier would slide ALL the way down the spindle, not realizing that it wasn’t meant to do that, so I spent a good 20mins hammering the tire carrier onto the spindle with a wood black and a sledge hammer. But again, It’s mostly because I didn’t realize it.
Did you cut the bottom corner of the spindle on the frame mount? That was a issue I found out about later on. The plastics on the LCs are smaller than the LX that I designed this around. I now cut that corner off before shipping.
corner cut.jpg

As the year is coming to an end I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you on the forum that have placed orders with me. Everyone has been patient, understanding and gave helpful feedback. I also wanted to give you all a little background about me (Matt). I started GGM almost 2 years ago as a side hobby. Then, March of this year I got laid off from my full-time job and struggled to find another. So I poured everything I had into making GGM something viable. This project has kept the doors open with just barely enough left over to build the next project and I am excited for that!

GGM is primarily a one-man operation with the occasional help from my wife and a couple friends. When you call/text/email/message GGM you are talking to me. The same guy that designs the parts, cuts the metal, welds, packs boxes (I'm getting better with that), sweeps the floor and trail rides with you on the weekends. I am an offroad/engineering/fabricating enthusiast. I will always do the best I can for my customers. I am always open to answer questions and feedback.

If you would like, a local small business magazine interviewed me a couple months ago, you can see it HERE

Again thank you and I look forward to keeping this project going along with developing many more! 🍻

-Matt

If I order this week, what would be the ETA? I am traveling until the new year so don’t want it sitting on my front porch unattended

If you order this weekend, I'll have it shipped by Monday or Tuesday. Then it depends on where you live for how long it will take to ship. It's usually less than a week, but with the holidays that may be a bit longer. Or if you'd like, you can place the order and I'll have everything packed up and ready to go but I'll hold it and ship it after new years that way you won't have to worry about when it arrives.

If you order this weekend, I'll have it shipped by Monday or Tuesday. Then it depends on where you live for how long it will take to ship. It's usually less than a week, but with the holidays that may be a bit longer. Or if you'd like, you can place the order and I'll have everything packed up and ready to go but I'll hold it and ship it after new years that way you won't have to worry about when it arrives.
Ok I can order and have you ship in about 7-10 days - should I just PM you when the order has been placed? I’m in Austin

When you order, just add the date you'd like for me to ship it out on in the notes section at checkout. I'll know when the order goes through.

Thanks!!
DM sent, unfortunately on mobile there wasn’t a place to put notes. Just for future reference. Order placed though!

Attached is a pic...I posted a more thorough review in the 80 series forum. This was pretty straightforward and looks great! I was able to confirm it works with my non-factory hitch which is a bonus!

IMG-7391.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom