Bolt on 80 Series Tire Carrier Compatible with Factory Bumper (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Install went smooth and pretty quick, I did not have the metal extension coming out of the bumper bracket so no sawing was necessary and everything lines up perfectly. It swings very freely so definitely a strut is needed which I am going to work on for sure, just need to work out where it attaches to on the bumper then swing lengths, etc. Overall super happy that I can get my tire up out of the dirt and I can get a full size spare now.

IMG_2083.jpeg

IMG_2088.jpeg

IMG_2086.jpeg

Install went smooth and pretty quick, I did not have the metal extension coming out of the bumper bracket so no sawing was necessary and everything lines up perfectly. It swings very freely so definitely a strut is needed which I am going to work on for sure, just need to work out where it attaches to on the bumper then swing lengths, etc. Overall super happy that I can get my tire up out of the dirt and I can get a full size spare now.

View attachment 3214894

View attachment 3214896

View attachment 3214898
Looks great on the PS!

Possibly, I am also working on a mount that would put the can on the side of the tire above the latch. That way the weight is better distributed over the bumper mount.
That’s a good point, all that weight out behind the tire would create a lot of leverage that wouldn’t be as good

Reactions: GGM
First one won’t fit the bolt pattern though, third one is for jeeps. But the first concept fits with the accessory mount idea GGM is working with, but I’d be worried about all that weight at that leverage. I would think it’s much better side by side with the tire

@Jacob Marx was the one that put it together. Hopefully he can chime in.

I think he mentioned it on another thread but it looks like alot of post about GGM tire carriers got deleted? Idk anyways hopefully he can share what he did.
I’m really hoping he’ll chime in soon! Been over a month and he’s radio silent. I tried to install one on my own using the existing holes on the bumper as a ball stud mounting point and another mounted to the bumper where he did, but I can’t get the placement right to prevent the binding when closing.

What’s everyone else doing to keep the gate safety open and remaining in an open position on an incline?

I’m really hoping he’ll chime in soon! Been over a month and he’s radio silent. I tried to install one on my own using the existing holes on the bumper as a ball stud mounting point and another mounted to the bumper where he did, but I can’t get the placement right to prevent the binding when closing.

What’s everyone else doing to keep the gate safety open and remaining in an open position on an incline?
Sorry if this is obvious from your comment, but did you try mounting it in to the hole in the GGM bumper extension mount closest to the pivot/swing point? that should fix any binding, then just have to find a strut with the right extended and compressed lengths. I will be back to the cruiser this weekend and plan on measuring it out.

For everyone that has installed their tire carrier, lets see some pictures!
So after installing your awesome bolt-on tire carrier to my 96 LX450 I just know it was missing a drop-down shelf similar to those avail for Wrangers. I copied the same button latch tech that GGM used in his mock up. It’s lite, quick to deploy, and just another flat surface to use while camping!

349E1303-E14B-4B1F-8E4F-0D867F48EFE6.jpeg

60A7116F-7124-490B-AE3A-BB30E201BA2E.jpeg

40EC4CAD-EF12-4A43-9EE7-C1A447EE9DB7.jpeg

F2B2E66E-18FF-444A-B76E-43A6483BD7FD.jpeg

A3D8DF3B-33DA-4F8A-B8B0-8D1817196AE3.jpeg

Hey everyone just wanted to let you know that I started a new thread for the rotopax/accessory mount to keep things clear. Here's the thread if you want to follow that. THREAD

As always I'm open for questions, suggestions, request or telling me I suck.

If you are interested in the Mount here's the link to my website. SUPER COOL MOUNT

I'm also open for other product request, I have a couple neat ideas on the idea board but lets hear what you need for the 80 series and beyond!

Thanks for keeping the dream alive I wouldn't of had a chance without the support from this group!! 🍻

Hey everyone just wanted to let you know that I started a new thread for the rotopax/accessory mount to keep things clear. Here's the thread if you want to follow that. THREAD

As always I'm open for questions, suggestions, request or telling me I suck.

If you are interested in the Mount here's the link to my website. SUPER COOL MOUNT

I'm also open for other product request, I have a couple neat ideas on the idea board but lets hear what you need for the 80 series and beyond!

Thanks for keeping the dream alive I wouldn't of had a chance without the support from this group!! 🍻
Awesome!

Question: Any possibility of a "normal" Jerry Can mount? I have old metal cans that I'd like to incorporate instead of buying new Rotoplex (despite the weight difference). Anything in the pipe for a carrier that can mount and carry two standard metal Jerry Cans?

Thanks!

Awesome!

Question: Any possibility of a "normal" Jerry Can mount? I have old metal cans that I'd like to incorporate instead of buying new Rotoplex (despite the weight difference). Anything in the pipe for a carrier that can mount and carry two standard metal Jerry Cans?

Thanks!
The short answer is maybe. I may make one more bracket like I showed above to put a rotopax or Jerry can next to the tire. I may make something to attach the Jerry can to the accessory mount. But that is starting to push the limit on weight hanging off there. I see why other mfgs incorporate another swing out for Jerry cans but I don't see myself doing that.

The short answer is maybe. I may make one more bracket like I showed above to put a rotopax or Jerry can next to the tire. I may make something to attach the Jerry can to the accessory mount. But that is starting to push the limit on weight hanging off there. I see why other mfgs incorporate another swing out for Jerry cans but I don't see myself doing that.
Sounds good...thanks for getting back to me about it 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom