Bolt on 80 Series Tire Carrier Compatible with Factory Bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GGM

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.generalgreenmanufacturing.com
For those that need a spare tire carrier but don't want to spend thousands on a new bumper, here's the solution. These pictures are of the first prototype, minor changes may be made.

IMG_20221003_181153591_HDR (1).jpg
IMG_20221003_181530974_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221003_182214820_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221003_181715436_HDR.jpg

This kit is mostly bolt on, a hole will need to be drilled through the bumper plastic and some of the plastic on the middle of LX models (as shown). There are also 2 threaded holes on the frame of 93-97 models that were used. 91 and 92 model years will require a bracket to be cut off the frame and 2 holes to be drilled. NO WELDING NECESSARY.

Features:

CNC cut from ¼” USA steel, designed and assembled in Tampa Florida.

Kit includes all hardware needed for installation. Grade 8 or equivalent mounting hardware. Lug nuts not included.

Locking latch handle.

Greaseable roller bearing spindle

Will be shipped bare, unpainted; however, I am looking into powder coat and LineX bedliner options.

Fits up to a 37” tire without blocking the tail lights

The swinging portion is about 45 pounds and the entire assembly is about 65.

Happy to post more pictures or answer any questions. Any feedback is welcomed. I will keep this thread up to date on any changes or additions.

Price is $820 shipped domestically.

Last edited:
Great concept. Others have tried this and gotten bogged down by material/fab lead times. Do you have units available for purchase on the shelf? Or are these made to order?

What does it weigh? 1/4" is pretty heavy duty. It is an interesting design using all the plate instead of tubing. I see your reasoning, but that is a lot of welding.

Great concept. Others have tried this and gotten bogged down by material/fab lead times. Do you have units available for purchase on the shelf? Or are these made to order?
I am a small fab shop dedicated to my product line. My products take precedent over outside tasks. They will be made to order with short turnaround times. If I can not fulfill an order in a reasonable time I will gladly refund the purchase and take this listing down.

Again, I am a small shop and I asked to please be patient with me, but I will do everything in my power to provide a quality product in a reasonable amount of time. I will be absolutely transparent. I will not dangle this post and leave people waiting for years on in.

I'm not here to make a billion dollars, I'm working to serve the enthusiast.

What does it weigh? 1/4" is pretty heavy duty. It is an interesting design using all the plate instead of tubing. I see your reasoning, but that is a lot of welding.

The design intent was to be overbuilt but not overly heavy. The design is unique and not basic. It is indeed a lot of welding but strong nonetheless.

The design intent was to be overbuilt but not overly heavy. The design is unique and not basic. It is indeed a lot of welding but strong nonetheless.
I was just commenting that all of that welding takes a lot of time. It definitely a unique design. It weighs less than I thought it would. Good luck with this project. I'd keep the finish bare. Powder and Linex will undoubtedly get damaged during shipping.

I need some help from the community. On the 96 LX we built this on there are two holes at the end of the frame where the plastic bumper support bolts to the frame. In my research it seems like that piece might not be bolted on older models. Anyone know what years this changed?
Inkedframe with holes.jpg

It's not critical for these holes to be used but highly recommended. To install the tire carrier that bracket must be removed.

Hi there..
I can use my original plastics.. correct? Just need to use a hole saw for the spindle.
Can you tell me what size hole saw i would need??
I will probably paint it just myself so bare metal is fine.... What do you think is your lead time, and are you in production with these now?
Much Thanks..

Hi there..
I can use my original plastics.. correct? Just need to use a hole saw for the spindle.
Can you tell me what size hole saw i would need??
I will probably paint it just myself so bare metal is fine.... What do you think is your lead time, and are you in production with these now?
Much Thanks..
Yes you can use the original bumper plastic.

For the hole saw, we recommend at least a 2" diameter. We used a 2 1/8" to give us some room for misalignment.

The design is finalized and I will be gathering materials for inital orders next week. Current lead time is 2 weeks.

Bump im interested how do i order?
It is listed on my website here:

You can select "notify when available" and I will follow up with an email for right now. I have to get some shipping quotes setup before I can notify anyone with a final price.

Thanks!

Here are a few pictures without the plastic on. The frame mount uses a 5/8" bolt through a slot in the frame and attaches at the bottom of the frame where the recovery hooks mount. (You can still use the recovery hooks).
IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

I’ll be in for a swing out if it’s bolt on. I like that it’s on the driver side.
There's some minor cutting and drilling required but nothing too difficult. As stated, there are some models that will require a bracket be cut off the frame and 2 small holes drilled. Also a part of the factory bumper support has to be cut off, that could be done with just about anything ie. hacksaw,cutoff wheel, sawzall, etc I will work on putting together some detailed instructions soon.

Is it possible to include a sleeve to prevent the frame from crushing when tightening the horizontal bolt through the frame?

Is it possible to include a sleeve to prevent the frame from crushing when tightening the horizontal bolt through the frame?
Good point, we looked at that but it would be real tedious to get that in there. In the production kit I will supply a larger diameter washer to distribute that load over a larger area.

Good point, we looked at that but it would be real tedious to get that in there. In the production kit I will supply a larger diameter washer to distribute that load over a larger area.
Just make the hole in the bracket larger and slide the bolt, then large washer, with the spacer through the frame. You just have to make the spacer small enough to fit through the frame hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom