Bolt-in replacement transmissions for '82 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have looked on Marlin's site and in many blogs, but only find very complex answers to my simple question.

I believe my 7/82 4x4 long bed has an L50 5 speed. It's a bit noisy (although it's hard to know what normal is). 22R engine.

Are there later transmissions (or trans/xfer combos) that are a bolt-in upgrade? I'm trying to avoid custom mounts, driveshaft mods, etc., but there are more 'later' transmissions for sale than earlier ones, of course. I am not seeking lower gears, doublers, etc. - just stock replacement.

Thanks!

DSCN4625.JPG

I have looked on Marlin's site and in many blogs, but only find very complex answers to my simple question.

I believe my 7/82 4x4 long bed has an L50 5 speed. It's a bit noisy (although it's hard to know what normal is). 22R engine.

Are there later transmissions (or trans/xfer combos) that are a bolt-in upgrade? I'm trying to avoid custom mounts, driveshaft mods, etc., but there are more 'later' transmissions for sale than earlier ones, of course. I am not seeking lower gears, doublers, etc. - just stock replacement.

Thanks!

View attachment 2195559

I would just recommend rebuilding the one that you have. Any other transmission is going to require some changes.

The L52 is a direct bolt in, but it is only marginally stronger than the L50. Years ago I swapped out the L45 in my 81 for an L52 as the gears were making a lot of noise. You might try a different brand/type of fluid first to see if that helps, but rebuilding the L50 is likely the cheapest option unless you can get an L52 out of a running truck and verify that it doesn't make any noise before pulling it.

Good luck!

Thanks - good info on what else would fit. I am using 80w-90 GL5 and presume that was what was in it. I would think that thicker oil might cause shifting issues, but if there was ever a time to experiment by mixing in some 85w-140 (maybe a 50/50 mix with 80w-90) this is it.

It couldn't hurt. My tacoma was a little hard to shift when I got it and a lot of the taco guys use the redline fluid or some other fancy oil. I just got some mobil synthetic and it helped quite a bit. Also, you might compare it to a "fixed" rig just to get a reference point. Some of those transmissions just like to make a bit of noise.

I was complaining to a Toyota tech friend about my new R151F shifting stiff when cold. He told me to run Valvoline 75W-90 conventional. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom