Body Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The PO of my 71 40 welded the rear body tub to the frame and other various points

I am trying to tear down and can't figure out where the tub comes apart. I have the rear apart (where the welding is obvious) but don't know how the floor area comes out (under the seats) or how it's suppose to be attached. (the side rockers are welded to the floor also with a peice of "L")

I have the tranny hump removed so how much more of the floor can be removed (yea I know the whole thing but I am leaving the firewall in place so how much farther back??

I could cut the rear 1/2 off and then reweld when i put back on but if i can remove in one peice that would be better

I am just trying to take care of frame rust -- any other ideas??

thanks and any pics would help!!

HAVE A GOOD TURKEY DAY!! :flipoff2:

The firewall would normally be welded together with the remainder of the tub unless the PO has done other strange things besides welding tub to frame :whoops:!?! Normally everything is held on with 4-5 bolts each side spaced along the frame. The FJ55 had 4 bolts on the body each side plus two at the front cross member. Once those bolts are out it's not a big deal to get the two apart.

yea i took out all the bolts (2 or 3 on each side maybe even 4) even the 2 on each side of the rockers but it still will not budge. how about under the pedals?? does that stay attached to the firewall??

i have been grinding for 3 days now (but i am cutting down the rear gate also, PO welded about 6-8 inches of plate to cover his ghetto lift and cover the rusted bumper.

i will post pics but my bro lost my digi cam so had to put on video now just need to take pics for the video

The body is basically two parts. The front clip consisting of the fenders and rad supports, and the tub which is the firewall, floor and everything else. When the tub and front clip is off then you should be left with just the frame with engine, tranny etc. fully exposed. Once the bolts are out it should be free.
Keep looking for the PO's :doh: welds.
Don't forget to disconnect fuel lines, electrical and brake/clutch hydraulic lines before pulling the tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom