Bluesquirrel's '98 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Work is slow when you have a toddler.
Getting closer to finishing my dual battery system. Here's the mounting panel under the hood for the goodies.
IMG_20200411_185404460.jpg

I am really interested to see how you wire it to the factory switch. I have a factory locker retrofitted in the back and am getting ready to install the front Harrops. It would be cool to see it wired up to the rotary switch

I am really interested to see how you wire it to the factory switch. I have a factory locker retrofitted in the back and am getting ready to install the front Harrops. It would be cool to see it wired up to the rotary switch
Same... and did you get the switch from Georg or did you have to source elsewhere?

Same... and did you get the switch from Georg or did you have to source elsewhere?
Cruiser Brothers had it. Got that switch and new carrier bearings. It sounds like the switch is going to be very easy to wire up. All I'm going to need to do is add the pin in the back of the existing connector.

The Eaton unit itself comes with a complete wire harness (pictured) in case the user needs it. Their switch is nice too

So is it just Eaton e/locker now? I think before they were called Harrop/Eaton. Nice purchase!

I bought my emu wing windows about 6 months ago, just before the world went mad, and life got way too busy. I'm putting them in this week. Pretty straightforward. The instructions advise that you partially bolt up the panel to assure the frame is glued in the correct location. I very much agree.
IMG_20200804_142308730.jpg
IMG_20200804_142318973_HDR.jpg

I purchased the powder coated aluminum panels.
Also, I have two intact glass panels and functional motors, if anyone in the PHX area needs them.

And the tank is in! Thanks to Michael at Long Range America. 40 gallon main replacement tank. I bought all new parts to put in it as well.
IMG_20200831_173818554_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200831_173826521.jpg
IMG_20200831_173834329_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200831_173841126_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200831_173848943_HDR.jpg

I've been reading through and following @2000 LC thread on fuel tank pressures here, fuel tank pressures.
As a result, in conjunction with installing the new LRA 40gal tank, I will be adding and/or modifying a number of things to address the heat issues in the fuel and other systems inherent in the 100 series Land cruisers. Having a 1998 model, I am fortunate to have the evap canister in the engine bay.

Future mods that are on the way include a full set of Dissent skid plates for the belly. I know that this will increase The thermal migration into the fuel system during idle. There is simply not enough positive airflow through the engine bay and into the undercarriage, to disperse the heat from the entirety of the system. The fuel lines are also unshielded, and unprotected from the thermal transference that we all know occurres.

Modifications:
-LRA 40 gal main tank.
-Heat shield appliques to the front and inboard sides of tank.
-Full wrap of fuel lines with insulation foam and heat shield wrapping, from fuel tank to engine bay.
-Extend existing or add new heat shield surrounding fuel lines in critical area around cats.
-Full wrap of fuel lines and fuel filter in the engine bay with insulation foam and heat shield wrapping.
-Hood louvers. louvers. Yes, this is the big step. I also think it's necessary. Open to thoughts...

For reference, here are some pictures of the fuel line run next to the catalytic converter driver side and rear heater lines. There is a significant amount of heat in this area and I'm confident the fuel lines do not have the thermal inertia to stand up to it.
IMG_20200906_144825878_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200906_144743466_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200906_144722291.jpg

It's been a couple years of parts sitting on the shelf. Chaos theory in life, sometimes gets in the way of wrenching. Anyway, I made time this week to install the following:

Dissent Rear bumper w/ dual swing outs.
LRA 40 gallon main fuel tank.
Complete front and rear Tough Dog suspension from Trail Tailor.
Front LCA frame bushings and diff drop.

I'm tired as hell. Pics and alignment later.

Last edited:
So, the LRA 40 gallon tank. After pulling the original, I added all the new parts I bought. I broke one of the little yellow clips 🙄. This tank was big and the fi in the truck was TIGHT.

While I had the tank out, I realized that there was going to be a lot of interference with trying to replace rear suspension parts, so I did the UCA's and shocks.

The springs were a challenge. I compressed them with heavy rachet straps.

In the front, I did the frame bushings, added the LCA reinforcement brackets and diff drop, and Trail-Tailor's UCA's and tough dog shocks.

After all that, I'm getting an alignment 😁

IMG_20221109_120108669_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221109_120214366_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221111_110107673.jpg

IMG_20221111_111618483_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221113_141858150.jpg

Do you have the Dissent Skids (you said you were getting them in the Dissent Skid Thread a few years ago)? If so, how did the Long Range Tank fit with them? Any pics of the gap?
Edit: looks like you're going to buy them but you haven't yet based on your comments above. I should have just read your thread.

Last edited:
Do you have the Dissent Skids (you said you were getting them in the Dissent Skid Thread a few years ago)? If so, how did the Long Range Tank fit with them? Any pics of the gap?
Edit: looks like you're going to buy them but you haven't yet based on your comments above. I should have just read your thread.
I do! Haven't mounted them back up after the install cuz I've still got to remove my front diff for the locker install. I'll throw them up temporarily and snap a pic.

Love the work so far!

Would love to see a pic of the hood paint project finished… I have some hail bruises that are calling for some solution, but don’t want to make it too involved.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom