Builds Blue Cruiser Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I made SLOW progress over the winter, but progress none the less. A little update.

The bumper will be finished tomorrow. I've got the rig at a shop to finish up the work. I'm having them weld on some additional support under the front of the plate and adding some recovery points. Will add some pictures once I get the truck back.

Also, the 60 was out of commission for the last two/three weeks while I replaced the clutch, rear main seal, transmission input shaft seal and gasket, transfer case output shaft seals, and detent springs. Also had the flywheel resurfaced. So far I'm happy with the improvements. Shifting the t/c between 2wd and 4wd, and then between lo and hi feels much better now. Hope it cures the issue that caused me to tear up the Baja claws! Used the upgraded detent springs Toyota provided in the TSB for the 62. They make a noticeable difference in the feel of the transfer case.

Resurfaced flywheel:

image.jpeg

Rear main seal "special service tool", a 4" to 3" pvc coupling, made driving the seal in a pretty simple task.

image.jpeg

Thankful to have a throw out bearing that doesn't squeak

image.jpeg

The rig as it sat before I took it to the welder:

image.jpeg

Lookin' good, Chris!

Glad to hear you've got it at a welding shop - That's a must before Mardi Krawl!

I didn't get a chance to buy/install a winch on mine, so I might have to rely on yours!!!

- Brian

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Got it back from the shop today with the new recovery points welded on and winch plate tied in now with both welds and bolts.

Unfortunately I've got some oil leaking from somewhere near the rear main seal. Will have to pull the inspection cover and check it out tomorrow, ugh....

Otherwise she's running good.

Thankfully my oil leak is not the rear main seal. I suspect it is the oil pan gasket.And iit is slow, so will probably take care of it at the next oil change...

Figures...do work on the bumper, and then it gets crushed.....:(

Ran into a rock ledge that I misjudged. Will need to replace with thicker steel at some point.

image.jpeg

Aside from that I made it through Mardi Krawl mostly unscathed. Clutch and transmission repairs held up well, and I'm no longer popping out of 4wd after the detent spring upgrade.

Replacing the power steering cap kept the fluid from dumping out, so that was a good and cheap fix to a problem. My old cap wasn't fitting on snugly any longer so it had developed a good leak when working the power steering off road.

One other thing I have to do now is work on my drivers side birfield, I've developed a bit of a click when turning left.

Gratuitous pic from the Mardi Krawl obstacle course.. :)

image.jpg

Have not done much mechanically with the 60 since April, but I have used it quite a bit this summer. Last time I had it out was to pull up some stumps for someone. During that job I noticed the power steering growling at me....low on fluid. Found the leak coming from the seal on the worm assembly shaft on the gear box.

image.jpeg

The parts counter tells me the seal has part no 90311-36104, but I think that's actually the sector shaft seal. Either way it's NLA from Toyota. So this weekend I'm hunting the replacement and went ahead and removed the gear box in anticipation of buying the seal next week and reinstalling next weekend.

image.jpeg

Was down about a month while I resealed the steering gearbox, glad to be up and running for fall wheeling weather...

Power Steering Gearbox Reseal

Small world... My new to me '84 60 was also originally sold from Tom Lyons Toyota in Boulder, CO...

Very cool! Hope yours is as good to you as mine has been to me.

Well, added a Smittybuilt center console since the last update. Have also been accumulating parts for a knuckle rebuild and to regear differentials from stock 3.73 to 4.56.

IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

Have also been playing a little...

Hawk Pride ORV, Tuscumbia, AL

IMG_0454.JPG

Adventure Offroad Park, Kimball, TN

IMG_0455.JPG

Started to pull the front axles and knuckles today.

Here's the before shots....

Passenger:

IMG_3778.JPG

Driver:

IMG_3782.JPG

Started by draining the diff oil, it's clearly a mix of oil and grease so glad I'm doing this.

IMG_3779.JPG

The drain plug has been beaten by rocks on the trails, will be replacing this with one that won't get beat up as easy.

IMG_3780.JPG

Will have to show the breaks some love too apparently (broken spring)

IMG_3784.JPG

I've had it broken down this far before to replace bearings and a seal and rebuild the hubs. Was about 6 years ago, grease still looks pretty good.

IMG_3785.JPG

Everything past here is new territory for me not having done a knuckle rebuild yet, and who knows when it was last done on this rig. Here goes nothing....

IMG_3799.JPG

A little while later I have this pile of parts...

IMG_3794.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

Only a couple issues so far. The lower studs came out, so will have to get the nuts off of them and get them back in with some locktite.

IMG_3795.JPG

And there is some corrosion/pitting on the inner part of the knuckle that I'll have to take care of somehow.

IMG_3792.JPG

So at this point the passenger side is apart and needs to be cleaned up and the knuckle reassembled. Won't put the axle back in and finish the knuckle until I get the other side apart so I can remove the third member and get the new gears set up.

Got the drivers side apart today, took a lot less time after learning on the other side.

IMG_3804.JPG

And the third member is out. Now just need to drop it off to have the new gear set put in...oh, and lots and lots of cleaning before reassembly can start.

IMG_3809.JPG

After a little delay I got my front third member back....

IMG_4445.JPG

Got it installed and the new drain plug in....

IMG_4450.JPG

IMG_4451.JPG

I replaced the three rubber brake lines on the front axle...

IMG_4449.JPG

Started reassembling the knuckles, and stopped for this evening. Goal is to have everything done before GSMTR.

Looking good! How are you addressing that corrosion on the inner knuckle ball?

Thanks! I've been searching around about the pitting. Seems like the common options are to (1) fill them with a thin layer of JB Weld and sand it down (2) use rust converter or paint to coat the rust and fill the pits (3) remove with fine grit emory or wire wheel (4) do nothing

I'm thinking I may do 3 or 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom