Blown hard brake line. Any sources? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MPS

Threads
Hi All - I have a 1996 LX450 and a section of the hard brake line that runs from the front to the back blew out. It is the area under the car that lines up with the front section of the rear leaf springs (hopefully that makes sense). I am in the Lake Tahoe area and my mechanic says they have been unable to find a replacement as it is a long piece that is difficult to find and ship. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

Hi All - I have a 1996 LX450 and a section of the hard brake line that runs from the front to the back blew out. It is the area under the car that lines up with the front section of the rear leaf springs (hopefully that makes sense). I am in the Lake Tahoe area and my mechanic says they have been unable to find a replacement as it is a long piece that is difficult to find and ship. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

Make your own, or have your mechanic make it.

Leaf springs ? You sure you’re in the right section ? Really though, find local gearhead with some 3/16” tubing, a flaring tool and a bender and make one. Buy him a case of beer and be on your way.

@Kwikvette and @rebelcruiser - Thanks for the suggestions. I suspect my repair shop just doesn't want to do the bending required for the repair.
@Saito - Criticism accepted. Not sure what I was thinking. Leak is to the outside of the bushings of what I suspect is the stabilizer bar. Aligns with the middle of the left side passenger door. Again, just trying to describe the area of the leak but clearly not up to the technical specs.
I bent a lot of SS tubing in my younger days working on an offshore oil production platform, but am a bit rusty 40 years later. Surprising how hard it is to find an off-the-shelf replacement for this part.

Can you take a pic of which brake line it is?
Sure thing. Here it is...the top line in the pic, which I believe is part number 47324.

line1.jpg

line2.jpg

Interestingly, I called my local Toyota dealer and they said the part was available and there were eight in their Ontario, CA warehouse. Part number 47324-60211. My impression was that the part was no longer available. I ordered one and will report back in a few days. Figured for around $80 it was worth a try.

Last time I needed a hard line I ordered a OEM replacement 😉

Just to close this string, I was able to find OEM hard brake lines from the dealer. The one I originally purchased from the Toyota dealer (Dolan / Reno) had the right part number but didn't ultimately fit. My mechanic found another at the Lexus dealer, which fit (not sure why they would have been different). Ended up replacing both hard lines while at it.

@BILT4ME - Thanks for the source. I often use McGeorge Toyota (Shopping Cart | Toyota Parts - https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/cart). Problem with this hard line part was that nobody wanted to ship as it was too long / fragile so had to find someone with the part in our neighborhood.
Check with Olathe Toyota. I'll bet they will. They have been known to ship engine blocks when others would not.

There are a couple other dealerships out West that are good, I just don't know the names.

McGeorge are not who they used to be. They have been sold recently.

The online dealer stores are set up to reject some items without cause (brake lines and the drip rail trim come to mind). Your local dealer will be able to sell them to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom