Bleeding the Brake

Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
147
Should brake be bleeded with engine running? Some say yes, some say no...

Thanks all.
 

flintknapper

SILVER Star
 
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
5,652
Location
Deep East Texas
hkimsoft said:
Should brake be bleeded with engine running? Some say yes, some say no...

Thanks all.

Its not necessary to use the brake power booster to bleed the brakes, and IMO it takes away "the feel" of the pedal. Without the power booster you can pump up the pedal and hold it with a better sense of feel for leak down and the overall effort required.

Just my thoughts.
 
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
147
flintknapper said:
Its not necessary to use the brake power booster to bleed the brakes, and IMO it takes away "the feel" of the pedal. Without the power booster you can pump up the pedal and hold it with a better sense of feel for leak down and the overall effort required.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks. I just did bleeding because of soft/spongy feeling when depressing the brake pedal. But soft/spongy feeling is still there... No leaks, Brakes just fine, No sinking... I guess I would have to try replacing the MC. Any other thoughts?
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
108
Proportioning valve

Make sure you also bleed the proportioning valve in the back.
 

flintknapper

SILVER Star
 
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
5,652
Location
Deep East Texas
hkimsoft said:
Thanks. I just did bleeding because of soft/spongy feeling when depressing the brake pedal. But soft/spongy feeling is still there... No leaks, Brakes just fine, No sinking... I guess I would have to try replacing the MC. Any other thoughts?
What you describe is usually air somewhere in the system. I always bleed the MC first and then the lines. Also...check the condition of your flex lines for swelling (look for bulges or soft lines) this can cause what you describe as well.
 
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Messages
156
Location
Levant, Maine
Before you condemn the M/C you need to hold pressure on the pedal and see if it "leaks" down to the floor. If it doesn't, then the M/C may be fine. How long has it been since you checked the rear pads. Worn rear pads can give you a spongy feel in the pedal.
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
108
Besides air in the lines, also check the condition of the brake fluid - it has great affinity for water/humidity, which will ruin the compressibility properties of the brake fluid. If the brake fluid is cloudy or dirty, flush the whole thing until it is clean. It is easy and inexpensive, all you need is a willing partner to pump the brakes and keep the system full while you crawl around on your back.
 
Top Bottom