BJ74 side slider window gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched and could not find any suggestions on how to install new gaskets on the side windows of the FRP top. I bought the seals (called “Run quarter window”) and I fiddled with the window, removed the inner trim, but I can’t see how to lift the windows out. Once the windows are out installing the run looks easy. The Manual I have shows a diagram for removing a fixed window not a slider.

I suspect there is a simple trick. Any ideas?

I removed the entire window unit from the FRP, then pulled on the window frame distorting it to the point when I could get the glass out.

Interesting. Did you just cut the adhesive from the outside and pop the frame out? That makes sense but I’m afraid to use too much brute force.

Thanks! My frames are fine so looks like I can try the easier way. Cut weatherstrip (run) in half, slide windows to one side, install half weatherstrip. Repeat. Seal cut piece with silicone when done.

I know what I’m doing this week.

So I did the "cut and insert" method. It worked pretty good. The tricky part is to cut the run at exactly where it will meet the centre divider is that seals the two windows. Its also a little tricky to tuck the run back under the window at each end, but is do-able. While the gasket was out i found a bit of minor rust in the frame so I treated, primed and painted while I was there. First picture is the run cut at about the right place.

second picture is rust in the frame before I tidied it up.

last picture is run installed. Much better. No leaks when I wash it now. I still have to do the other side; this took about 2 hours (mostly painting the frame). I may try removing the frame for the other side.

So I did the "cut and insert" method. It worked pretty good. The tricky part is to cut the run at exactly where it will meet the centre divider is that seals the two windows. Its also a little tricky to tuck the run back under the window at each end, but is do-able. While the gasket was out i found a bit of minor rust in the frame so I treated, primed and painted while I was there. First picture is the run cut at about the right place.
View attachment 2015974

second picture is rust in the frame before I tidied it up.View attachment 2015975

last picture is run installed. Much better. No leaks when I wash it now. I still have to do the other side; this took about 2 hours (mostly painting the frame). I may try removing the frame for the other side. View attachment 2015976

Thanks! Such helpful pictures. I’m about to embark on this sometime soon and have been worried about which approach to take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom