BJ73 3b to 1HZ conversion (1 Viewer)

Convert or no?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here you go.... This is the same hill , same tyres and gear ratio ... 4th gear pull up the same hill
The truck is my 75 with a 3bii , and then a 15b.... The other one is my pzj 70 with headers which is very comparable too a 1hz in your 73 ....( IGNORE THE SPEEDO IN THE 75 )
3B

1pz

15b
5 March 2017

Last edited:
A 14 or 15b or 13bt would be by far the easyest and most reliable swap.... You could probably swap your 1hz for one quite easilly in your part of the world ... The big Bs pull like school boys and are just big dumb basic motors the will last a life time if you feed them clean oil , diesel , and air.......
15B-F/FT/FTE engine conversions

15bf went strait in too the 75 where the 3bll was ... same box , i even used the 3b flywheel and clutch .. plus you get engine driven vaccume and ps pump , direct injection , used the 3b radiator and shroud , engine mounts from 3b , ..

16640685_1906318466317331_5839553614639558561_n.jpg

28190715_2088246374791205_1171867672_n.jpg

I liked my 1HZ conversion into my FJ73. The engine was fully rebuilt with a rebuilt pump and injectors, it was quite zippy with 31 or 32 inch tyres. But if you are starting with a B powered landcruiser it will be cheaper and easier to stick a larger B engine in there. If I was going to get a 6cyl, I might use a 1HD T. Its all about the budget.

Yup , its amazing what can be achieved with lotsa money and a good imagenation , but for most cruiser owners its not always an option . Id love a 15bt , but i dont like breaking stuff and i hate a cluttered up engine bay.
What i have now does everything i could ever hope for and more .

1. Remove head.

2. Take to machine shop for valve job and testing for cracks.
If no cracks, reuse. If cracks, either have cracks fixed or replace with new head.

3. Replace pre-combustion chambers.

4. Put head back on with new MLS head gasket.

Drive happily at 55mph.

Done.

Hello,

x2.

You might want to add a turbo.

Juan

Today we buy parts from all over the world , and 3b engines are everywhere . Late 3b h55f input shafts (cheep ) are another story though

I've had many of both here. 1HZ is more powerful, quieter, smoother and better layout, (no brake booster pump running off alternator)
I found LJ73 with turbo and BJ73 without were about the same. I have a 5 speed HDJ81 now and it's a rocket up to 100km/h compared to the rest.

There is also a huge aftermarket supply of 3B and other B engine parts available with some interchangeable.

no one mention that 1HZ it's a much more refined engine .. less noisy, less vibrations and better top end ( on road manner )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom