BJ73 3b to 1HZ conversion (1 Viewer)

Convert or no?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im getting conflicting info from different sources if this conversion would help me get up hills without slowing down.
Currently with a 3B and thinking to make the upgrade.
Some say definitely, some say not so much.
Wondering if the extra cost will be worth it.
Thoughts?

The 3B has a blown out head and need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 2.49.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Not so much.....I don't think it will be worth the effort unless you are going turbo also.

the HZ would be better, how much that would be something you will have to figure out somehow. A lot more? probably not. Probably better to turbo it, this would probably give you better performance up hills than a HZ. Or put a 13bt, or 12HT, or 1HD :) Any non turbo diesel will not be much power up hills especially as elevation increases.

1. Remove head.

2. Take to machine shop for valve job and testing for cracks.
If no cracks, reuse. If cracks, either have cracks fixed or replace with new head.

3. Replace pre-combustion chambers.

4. Put head back on with new MLS head gasket.

Drive happily at 55mph.

Done.

Thanks for your detailed advice. So many experts with different expert opinions that I just thought to see what others might think from their varied experience.

1. Remove head.

2. Take to machine shop for valve job and testing for cracks.
If no cracks, reuse. If cracks, either have cracks fixed or replace with new head.

3. Replace pre-combustion chambers.

4. Put head back on with new MLS head gasket.

Drive happily at 55mph.

Done.

If you already have the 1HZ available and it's FREE.... or you want the bragging rights of doing the conversion; then do the conversion.
I am not sure of the differences in torque, HP and fuel mileage, but I am sure it would be cheaper to rebuild the 3B.
Lots of options and opinions at this point; how soon do you need the vehicle running ?

I've never driven a normally aspirated Toyota diesel that could hold speed on a constant incline unless said incline was in a school zone. :)

I'd say its probably much easier to fix the 3B. If you want more power, go turbo!

Im getting conflicting info from different sources if this conversion would help me get up hills without slowing down.

This depends on the incline, but I know for a fact by a comparison on a long steepish hill the 1HZ is much better. I once drove a 3B powered Dyna to the top of this hill, by the time I was at the top it was barely holding 3rd gear. I have driven at least 3 1HZs up the same incline and they will all get there easy enough in 4th. The Dyna and 75 series are not much different in weight unloaded.
Its 90hp vs 135hp , dont quote me

I would either fix up the 3B and turbo it. Or look around for one of the 3B's bigger brothers like the 14B or 15B. That way many parts can be reused such as gearbox ,radiator, exhaus. And engine mountings dont have to be changed. All your gauges should just plug into the bigger engine. And you are getting a direct injected engine and more suitable for turboing.

Some the newer Hino engines are basically a 15B and would probably get close to 200hp with turbo

I've never driven a normally aspirated Toyota diesel that could hold speed on a constant incline unless said incline was in a school zone and downhill :)

FIFY :rofl:

Thanks for your detailed advice. So many experts with different expert opinions that I just thought to see what others might think from their varied experience.

In regards to the “experts” and their “ opinions “ it would be a wise thing to ask them if they have actually owned cruisers with these different engines before putting any value to their “ expert opinion” .

Yes the 1HZ will still be no rocket ship without a turbo ( and even then) but those 2 extra cilinders will help you a lot in going uphill, if you are thinking about high altitudes then a turbo would be advisable to help giving some extra oxygen to your engine.

Just my 2 cents after driving both 3B’s and 1HZ’s for many years now.

Joe

In regards to the “experts” and their “ opinions “ it would be a wise thing to ask them if they have actually owned cruisers with these different engines before putting any value to their “ expert opinion” .

Yes the 1HZ will still be no rocket ship without a turbo ( and even then) but those 2 extra cylinders will help you a lot in going uphill, if you are thinking about high altitudes then a turbo would be advisable to help giving some extra oxygen to your engine.

Joe

Well said....

Yes the 1HZ will still be no rocket ship without a turbo ( and even then) but those 2 extra cilinders will help you a lot in going uphill, if you are thinking about high altitudes then a turbo would be advisable to help giving some extra oxygen to your engine.

Joe

Well said....

Agreed. I am glad Joe spoke up. I have driven trucks with 3B, 13BT and 1HZ (with aftermarket turbo and intercooler). The 3B to 13BT was night and day difference and was in similar sized trucks. The 1HZ is different as it is in a bigger truck and I never drove it without a turbo. It still isn’t like driving my 6.7 power stroke, but it is quite effortless to drive in traffic.

Joe

Thanks Joe!

One thing that should be considered and has thus far been omitted from this discussion is parts availability going forward. I'm no expert but I'm assuming that some 3B parts might be scarce in the not so distant future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom