BJ71 Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
What is the purpose of a "turbo timer" and please explain in "laymen terms" since according to my wife I am not very smart?:) Also contained in the small console between the front seats is a black box with a Toyota part number on it and I was curious what it is. ( Is it some type of rear heater?)
Thanks......1978HJ45

turbo timer
for those worry warts that think if they shut down the engine right away that the turbo is going to grenade.
if you are below 650 F then you are safe to shut it down ... you have installed your pyro, right?

it is a toy unless you have a habit of hard runs with immediate shut down.

I am currently out of the country but will post a photo sometime Tuesday. Since I drive like an old man anyway I take it the turbo timer is of little importance?
......1978HJ45

it is one of those "cool" doodads people put in to feel important.

I felt real "important" when my wife told me haul the trash off and to hurry back so I could do some yard work. Perhaps I should have shown her the "turbo timer".:)
.......1978HJ45

from wikipedia:

A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed. With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply ensuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off. Most turbo timers are based on digital electronics.
Turbo timers can usually be disabled by an external switch, this is normally done using the handbrake switch, or using an automatic one.

I like mine for security purposes. It's great for leaving your vehicle running while you run in the store or whatever. You don't need to leave keys in the ignition and the steering stays locked. A thief has up to 9 minutes to go as far as they can in a straight line ;)

think about it, and check it out personally, you come off the highway at 120 with 1000F EGTs by the time you pull up to the pump to refill your EGTs are down to 600F. at 600F and no boost for a couple minutes your turbo timer is redundant AND is wasting fuel pissing off the "tree huggers" that feel idling a vehicle is a sin right up there with coveting your neighbours daugter.

think about it, and check it out personally, you come off the highway at 120 with 1000F EGTs by the time you pull up to the pump to refill your EGTs are down to 600F. at 600F and no boost for a couple minutes your turbo timer is redundant AND is wasting fuel pissing off the "tree huggers" that feel idling a vehicle is a sin right up there with coveting your neighbours daugter.

Just to clarify the issue...pissing off the "tree huggers" is a good thing
right.:) and coveting your neighbors daughter is kinda a "grey" area.
I will be in Rome tomorrow so I will try to get the Pope's take on these issues.:)
.....1978HJ45

I normally just drive easy and boost less on the last two streets b4 home, then when stopped watch and wait for the oil pressure gaug drop down to idle pressure

Here is a photo of the component in the center console. Does anyone know what it is or what purpose it serves. As you can tell I will never make a living as a professional photographer however there is a Toyota part number on the device.
.....1978HJ45
167.jpg

OMG, buddy, that is the rear heater core.
there should be a control on the back of the console for the heat control.

look under the floor from the bottom and there shoudl be a couple lines running to it.

OMG, buddy, that is the rear heater core.
there should be a control on the back of the console for the heat control.

look under the floor from the bottom and there shoudl be a couple lines running to it.

I will have to ask my daughter what "OMG" means but I assume it has a similar meaning to "dufus". It never occurred to me that something as dinky as a BJ71 would need rear heat.
Take the rest of the day off.......1978HJ45

I will have to ask my daughter what "OMG" means but I assume it has a similar meaning to "dufus". It never occurred to me that something as dinky as a BJ71 would need rear heat.
Take the rest of the day off.......1978HJ45

The BJ70 is definitely too small to need a rear heater. Removed mine decades ago - whole in Edmonton. Never missed it. Use the space to mount my 24v-12v converter.

Oh My God
used usually in a derogatory way describing a goofus
but not always.

In my defense, I never set in the back seat ( they stay folded up all the time) therefore I never noticed the heater switch. That combined with the lack of an owners manual will my excuse. I will google "goofus" later to see if my name is mentioned.
.......1978HJ45

you can sit in the back seat of the 71??
i know i can't and even young kids start bitchin after an hour or so...

no offense intended, it was a joke.

side mount seats are the answer, then they can play paddycake or even wrestle in the back.
also
sidemount seats give you more room to store s***.

you can sit in the back seat of the 71??
i know i can't and even young kids start *****in after an hour or so...

no offense intended, it was a joke.

side mount seats are the answer, then they can play paddycake or even wrestle in the back.
also
sidemount seats give you more room to store ****.

"no offense intended, it was a joke." ....Wayne you do remember I owned a LJ78 therefore my feelings can't be hurt.
On the subject of the back seats I do believe you could strap in one small child "horizontally" and add perhaps one small verbal message.
Next year during our one week of Winter I will fire up that little heater and see if it works.:)
......1978HJ45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom