BJ70 ~ CB radio antenna location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tauranga New Zealand via Vancouver Island Canada
Looking for a good spot for a 4' whip antenna. I haven't bought one yet so I'm open to suggestions. I'm nervous about the magnetic ones getting stolen, and I don;t want to drill into the body.

Front or rear bumper would work, thoughts?

I have mine on the ARB front bumper, before that I just stuck it in one of the holes for driving lights (or whatever they were for) on the stock front bumper. Wasn't ideal, but it did the job.

Mine is mounted on the front ARB bumper as well. On my 40 I have it on the stock bumper with no spring. I use glass antennas, so with no spring and down fairly low on the bumper it doesn't swing. A whip antenna would be different. I could see how you would want to keep it off that nice rust free body. :) I guess there is always the ol tennis ball LOL ;)

if someone is that desperate to steal a magnetic then they will steel you bumper mounted one as well...
with mine i just run the cable under the hood to the magnetic base and unscrew the antenna when i am not using it...
actually that isn't quite true, i did that once and after that i have left them mounted on the various trucks. nobudy has been that desperate for an antenna to steal one from me ... yet...
cheers

crushers said:
if someone is that desperate to steal a magnetic then they will steel you bumper mounted one as well...
with mine i just run the cable under the hood to the magnetic base and unscrew the antenna when i am not using it...
actually that isn't quite true, i did that once and after that i have left them mounted on the various trucks. nobudy has been that desperate for an antenna to steal one from me ... yet...
cheers

You could get one that mounts on the inner fender, with a removable antenna. I do not recall the name of this one, however it works well for me!

Drat! Ya gotta drill into the lip :D Paint and spray with a wax oil when you put in the screws.

gb
Antenna#1.jpg
Antenna#2.jpg

where are you driving moose? if its on logging roads you may need a vhf radio. they don't use cb frequency on those roads. I was looking into a cb up here and the shop I was in(trucking center) told me not to bother with a cb as no one uses them here. They only use fm's(vhf) not sure on the island what you need. on the Charlottes cb would not have worked. I didn't have a radio and had to wait in all the pull outs for the trucks to finish. or go after hours, and that isn't always true that the trucks are off the roads.

I'm just wanting one for the highway, get reports on accidents on the Malahat. I don;t own a cellphone so it's my only emergency device.

I like that lip-mount....will start combing the 'net looking for a supplier.

ok, thought you might want one for the back road stuff. logging roads bring you to really great spots. thats what I mostlyl drive on. you could make a hood mount quite easy. just get a piece of aluminum or steel sheet and bend it to fit a certain spot then screw it into the metal underneath the hood.

moose_sv1000s said:
Did it ever hit the front bodywork when you had it bolted into the bumper?

Yes, but it is a Wilson Flex antenna, it just bent over. Never did any harm.

I put the Antennas on my 70 series on the rear tire carrier they are out of the way, do not get hit by the brush (with my hard top models) and I use a 2 or 4 foot fiberglass stick. here is pictues:

Mount it on the ARB bumper that you're going to buy!

TB :doh:

bj70_guy said:
Yes, but it is a Wilson Flex antenna, it just bent over. Never did any harm.

Norm: I've been regretting giving mine away. I'm going to find another one and put it on. I am currently using a baseloaded metal whip and it's chewing the crap out of the FRP top because it hits when I hit deep ruts or potholes.

Moose what you need in the back of the island is something with scanner capability. Every road has its own frequency and those trucks don't slow down for sh#t. Time is money i guess. I have a scanner in my 60 and it has saved my ass a few times :bounce:

Cbs are nice if you are travelling in a pack . For weather and malahat conditions a scanner is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom