BJ60's DO NOT GET 30MPG. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My biggest drop in milage came when I switched my bj60 over to an fzj80 as my daily driver. My 3b pulling my 5000lb travel trailer gets better milage than my unloaded fz. That's a hard pill to swallow.

My biggest drop in milage came when I switched my bj60 over to an fzj80 as my daily driver. My 3b pulling my 5000lb travel trailer gets better milage than my unloaded fz. That's a hard pill to swallow.
I'll second that - same here! 11MPG sucks, And I'm lucky if I can get that!

Yeah that's about what I get. It's so bad I stoped calculating it regularly as it just bummed me out too much.

What did you typically get with your compound setup 60 when you were towing in summer? Loaded with gear and towing my 16' travel trailer I was getting about 16-19l/100km in the 78.

Worst I did was 16l/100k 11000 lbs gross truck and trailer small hills. I've got a 23ft terry. Only towed in 4th at 90kmh so rpms were a bit higher than usual but the 5th gear troubles some folks have had worried me, So I didn't push that gear much. I kept rpms between 2000 and 2500.

Worst I did was 16l/100k 11000 lbs gross truck and trailer small hills. I've got a 23ft terry. Only towed in 4th at 90kmh so rpms were a bit higher than usual but the 5th gear troubles some folks have had worried me, So I didn't push that gear much. I kept rpms between 2000 and 2500.

Thats really excellent! I am about 8500lb gross.

I've got 20 years worth of fuel logs. I'll dig em up one night and make a fuelly account. That should give a pretty accurate mpg.
The problem is, the truck was used as a truck. So the vast majority of its miles were towing or hauling the family around.
It would still be neat to tally.

What was the stock tire size of the bj60's? The truck has 31's on it. Seems to me that they are 5% off indicated. Does that sound right?

milage was good yes. Pleasant experience doing it? Id say no. It is doable, but very unsettling, not to mention exceeding the vehicle tow rating by a long shot. Tis the reason I got the 80 series. I think 235s are the stock tire size.

I've got 20 years worth of fuel logs. I'll dig em up one night and make a fuelly account. That should give a pretty accurate mpg.
The problem is, the truck was used as a truck. So the vast majority of its miles were towing or hauling the family around.
It would still be neat to tally.

What was the stock tire size of the bj60's? The truck has 31's on it. Seems to me that they are 5% off indicated. Does that sound right?

But isn't that how these are supposed to be used?

Surely no-one buys a landcruiser for driving empty on the highway at 55mph!

Did I learn a lesson when trying to get to the border doing 110-115mph. fuel economy sucked big time :) Km Squared eats up your fuel fast.

Never drive a truck and exceed
okay, i will chime in.
the biggest killer of fuel mileage is the driver.
these trucks were designed to do 80 k/h (50 mph). if you live in rural Ontario and drive the speed limit you are going to see much better fuel economy than someone driving from Calgary to Edmonton at 120 k/h.
heavy acceleration of city driving is murder on fuel economy.
then you add the lift kit, bigger tires, roof rack, winch and bumper, lunch box lockers and down goes the fuel mileage.

on average, so i have seen, every 5 k/h over 80 and you will drop roughly 2 mpg. so if you are driving at 110 k/h you could see a drop of 12 mpg. instead of 30 mpg, you might get 18 mpg ... which is what i have seen personally.

winter weather, ever hear the whining that comes with the mileage in winter? cold diff and tranny fluids, cold engine oil, idle time for warming up, slippage of tires in snow and on ice even during normal driving habits, all contribute to crappy fuel mileage. not taking into consideration winter fuel to begin with.

i have installed aluminum bodies and fiberglas bodies onto diesel 40/42 trucks and have never seen an increase in fuel mileage. in theory that might sound good but in reality ... good luck.

enough rambling for one night. back to your normal debate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom