BJ44 LHD questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some advice from the experts…

I’ve been lurking here for almost 2 years and biding my time. I have never owned an FJ but growing up in a small ski town they were a fixture, and I’ve been hoping for a handful of years to make my dream of owning one come true. In a few days I will be checking out a 1980 BJ44 LHD “V” version and I am hoping to hear from you all on what I should be alert for/extra attentive to. It’s at the very high end of my price range. I’m in SE Asia; I’d be driving it casually here for a few years (city driving) and then shipping it to USA.

Seller rebuilds cruisers for a living. It’s advertised as a frame-off restoration with rebuilt engine, 236,000 km on the odometer. Seller says it is the “luxury package” or “L” package which apparently has something to do with the instrument panel?

Cosmetically it looks extremely good. Can’t see any tub rust in photos. Hard top is intact. There’s no VIN plate which concerns me slightly (seller has obtained a new one, recently engraved) but the stamped # on the chassis is indeed BJ44-00XXXX. It will be driven on the highway to my location, ~2 hrs each way. Seller says the 4 speed transmission will do 100kph on the highway which is not what I expected to hear.

Any suggestions for particular questions I should ask or things I should be alert for?
- I am under the impression LHD is very rare for the BJ44. Seller says it is originally LHD/not altered from RHD.
- original 3.2L 2B engine, though rebuilt & new pistons.
- new transmission, new rocker arms
- A/C and heat reportedly work.
- I’ve done basic research on USA import requirements and it looks fairly straightforward for a rig of this age. My employer will handle logistics and shipping cost.

Thank you in advance!

You say you have never owned one, have you driven one?
If you are going to be importing to USA I would highly recommend sticking with a 2F powered 40 series. You will have a much better long term ownership with it here from a drivability and maintenance standpoint.

+1 for a gasoline tractor engine, you can work on it when needed and find parts so could almost any one else - perhaps not so true with a diesel.

More or less stock FJ-40, I would not want to be in one doing 75 mph, mine is spooky enough at 60.

Buy the rig, not the story. Lots of crooks out there - "new" to them anyway parts. Then there's workmanship issues, like cleaning parts correctly, proper use of a torque wrench, break in procedure....

Example way back in the day you could get top notch upholstery work done in mexico for a song. If you supplied the good thread, it would hold up - if they used theirs's, yea ripped out in less than year.

Would want to see a BJ44LV? Only LHD mid wheel base 40 had an aftermarket market top. Most from Columbia which were all FJ43s not diesels. Not saying it isn't possible. Plaque on the firewall should be a model BJ44LV~K and possibly a letter or two after the K. I know some mid wheel diesels made it to Europe but were all soft top models. Pakistan comes to mind but believe those were RHD

Check the basic things. Does it drive and stop - in all gears including hi, low and 4x4. Lights. Horn. Hazards.
Does the handbrake work or is it soaked in oil?
Does the edic work - ie does the engine stop when you turn off the key? Mostly by 1980 they should have an EDIC (possibly not, depending on where it started life).
Have a good look at the injection pump and surrounding peripherals, and take photos if unsure.
Did the glow plug relay work correctly? They should work by turning the key backwards (relay on the bulkhead should clunk). After about 20 seconds the "glow controller" under the headlight switch should glow red hot. Often this is removed or bypassed, or in hot countries the glow function may have been removed entirely.
Does it run 24V? Does it have the original/ correct alternator with the vacuum pump on the back? Otherwise, how well do the brakes work? Is the brake vacuum tank in good condition (under the front floor) - that will be like finding hens teeth if you need to replace it.
Is the exhaust in good condition from the headers all the way back, or was it welded together from 30 different bits of tube - also should be fun finding that in the US.
Are the instruments all correct and working correctly?
Does the cowl vent work, or is it a water feature?
Also.. how fast do your wipers move, and do they spray water? Quite often a buried wiring problem awaiting you there too.
Take some photos of the wiring under the dash - often a source of pain.

Take a load of photos and we'll happily rip it apart for ya ;)

Last edited:
I really suspect that it was converted from RHD to LHD, and that could also explain the vin plate thing (firewall swap). I've never seen a factory, hardtop, LHD medium wheelbase J40 land cruiser, but it also wouldn't blow my mind if it was a (rare) thing. RHD is fine, LHD is fine, conversions are fine, all that matters is that the vehicle looks and behaves right. If it was converted, check that the wiring was done right and is safe and functional. Check for any welding around the firewall and that it looks like it was done neatly and isn't inviting rust issues. In a proper conversion, the seats would also need to be swapped I believe, my BJ44 driver seat is more adjustable, but the passenger seat can slide forward for back seat access. Those are just some of the things I would look at. If you find it actually was converted, what else might the seller be lying or uneducated on?

Assuming it's fairly stock, and in spec, 100 km/h is no problem. But you should know that that's about the limit for it. Pushing it faster will have substantial impacts on fuel economy, noise, and longevity. You can accept that for what it is, or look into a 5 speed (H55), and ideally with that 5 speed just a little more power (5-8 PSI of boost, or a different engine). My circumstances call for those changes, and it's worth the time and money to me, I'm working on a 5 speed swap this winter.

Parts availability is worse for this engine. It will take longer to find parts if you need them, but take care of it and it will take care of you. It's also louder and slower than the gas one, but makes up for it with top notch reliability and better fuel economy. A mid wheelbase 40 series is one hell of a vehicle! The character, versatility, and longevity is unmatched IMO, I don't want anything else.

I'm grateful for everyone's input.

@cruisermatt , I have driven FJs a time or two over the years...many years apart. It has stoked, not slaked, my lust for owning one someday :). Thanks for your input on the 2F. Time is on my side while I'm overseas--I have a few years in which to find a cruiser.

@charliemeyer007 , ditto on the gas vs. diesel thoughts--thanks.

@Living in the Past, it was tough to find any trace on the interwebs of LHD in the BJ44. I found info suggesting a small number of them were made for export to France. I found one here ($75k price tag!) and a few in other places but nothing solid on the lineage of that configuration.

@iliketrucks and @45Dougal, understood on all. I appreciate your detailed list of things to be alert for. The mid wheelbase has appealed to me for a long time, but I'm also open to short if I find a good one.

You've all figured this out already, but I'm no mechanic. I love to learn and I'm good with my hands, but wrenching on cars isn't something I was ever exposed to in life (yet), unfortunately.

Any other input is welcomed--and I'll take lots of pics. Thanks again!

@Living in the Past, it was tough to find any trace on the interwebs of LHD in the BJ44. I found info suggesting a small number of them were made for export to France. I found one here ($75k price tag!) and a few in other places but nothing solid on the lineage of that configuration.

Nice looking cruiser with the few pictures. No VIN Plaques. The 2B in the BJ44 was pretty much a JDM thing. That fender mirror on the left fender is how vehicles were done in Japan on RHD vehicles. Have not seen that style mirror used anywhere besides Japan. Read on here in the past those mirrors are because many streets in Japan are very narrow. B and 3B engines are hard enough to find parts for. 2B only seen in BJ41s and BJ44s exported out of Japan privately. Know of a BJ44 that has 3B transplant this year as it was the easiest fix for engine problems.

My recommendation would be is not to buy anything that is not easily documented or verified by an expert who have no stake in the sale or who could benefit from the seller in the future. Also do as much research on parts availability. Unless your like Jay Leno with deep pockets and personal shop to do all your work including making parts by hand would stick to the more common versions of the 40 series.

Get ready to get your hands dirty. These old trucks need a lot of TLC just to keep them running. Brakes need regular adjustment, drive train needs greasing periodically, things need tightening from time to time, fuses need replacing, and things are wearing out. Don't mean to scare you off, but just be ready that it's not at all like owning a new car.

Diesel is great. Simple and efficient. Historically limited uptake in the US due to your low fuel prices among other reasons, but that makes it all the more interesting.
Sounds like you have contacts in Asia for parts anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom