BJ40 Where is VIN located? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am in Costa Rica and thinking about the drive back to the States with my 1980 Landcruiser BJ40.

I've read a lot of the forums here on importation requirements and so thanks!

I load up Ebay Watch Vehicles to see what the BJ or FJ 40s are going for these days up in the States and hope to get some idea of the market value.

On my BJ40 there is a metal stamped plaque under the hood back toward the windshield on the passenger side. It only has Japanese lettering on it. I don't know where to look for the VIN although my Costa Rica title has the VIN stated on the paperwork. If I get to the States, I won't know how to show them where the paperwork got the VIN off this vehicle.

Does anyone know where the VINs are on these 1980 diesel jeeps?

Thanks,
Gringo1

Perhaps the locations for the VIN plates vary because mine is in the same location as for Gringo1 (and I don't have one on the door jamb). Here is a picture of the location on mine:

VIN 001.jpg

As we know, VIN stands for "vehicle identification number" but as far as I know, it is the same as the "Frame Number" which is also located on my RH chassis rail near the front bumper (which agrees with bbgbottle's SOR information).

This is a close-up photo of my VIN plate:

VIN 002.jpg

You can see that it doesn't even say "vehicle identification number" (Just says "Frame Number".)

At least that is the number the authorities here look at and write down as my VIN number.

Note that mine is "RH drive" so the passenger side is opposite to a "LH drive" vehicle.

:cheers:
VIN 001.jpg
VIN 002.jpg

Thanks Jake and Tom.
If you guys want to relate some of your ownership-experience in the States, that would be helpful.

1. Down here, the market for parts is still pretty good since there are so many of these old 40 series still running around. I wonder about the availability of parts in the U.S. especially for diesel.

2. I get the sense that the value for these 40 series have dropped over the past year. I'm not sure why, perhaps more and more got imported to the U.S. market and only the fully restored ones get the decent price on Ebay.

3. Any particular annoying recurring pesky problems with your diesel, Tom? While I am here, I will try to pick up replacement parts for the items you might recommend.

4. This particular cruiser is in very good condition with a recent overhaul. Am I nuts to drive it to the States or should I just sell it here for $7,500 which seems to be the price it will fetch in Costa Rica?
I have done the drive down here in a pickup so I know how long it takes, but cruising at 45 mph may take longer, but that is what taking your time means, I guess.

5. Anyone else done the drive through Central America, with stories about border crossings? I am only wary about the one in Honduras. They worked me over like experts last time.

Anyway, any and all comments about 40 series is welcome.

Thx again for the help on locating the VIN. I have a plate like that, but only saw Japanese characters, now I see that there may be and probably are etchings that I'll use to "see" with a magnifying glass. 20-20 eyes but aged 53 means no close vision able to see that VIN Frame No.

Gringo1

there should be parts around here for your diesel somewhere,we had the BJ40 in Canada also. here are pics of my vin plates including the door jam one .,my rig too is registered as a BJ ,i picked it up as a parts rig with no drivetrain , therefore the 350 chev:doh: the door jam one shows the date of manufacture
1 (Medium).JPG
2 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
[quote: relate some of your ownership-experience in the States, that would be helpful.]
Sorry. Gringo1. --- I'm not in "the states".
However I would think there would be no better place than there to source "common spares" (like diaphragms, filters, glow plugs) and "remanufactured parts" (as sold by CCOT and SOR etc) judging from my Internet searches. (Much better off there than here!!!!!)

[quote: the value for these 40 series have dropped over the past year.]
I can't believe this! As a vehicle gets older and rarer its value can only increase. I think any drop could only be temporary. (But then I've never cared about the market value myself because mine has never been for sale and never will be.)

[quote: Any particular annoying recurring pesky problems with your diesel, Tom? While I am here, I will try to pick up replacement parts for the items you might recommend.]
None at all. My diesel has only ever had oil changes, filter changes, diaphragm changes, and one set of glow plugs. It's never even had the head off. (But then it's done only 240,000kms which is a lot less than some.)
Because I've owned it since 1981 and it has never been overheated during that time, I'm confident of my engine's "mechanical integrity". (When engines get as old as ours it becomes increasingly likely that they have been overheated at least once in their lifetime. This does a lot of hidden damage like "hardening oil seals and gaskets" and "changing the physical properties of metals". Buying an old second-hand vehicle is a lot like buying a lottery ticket. Only time will tell whether or not you got a good one.)
I keep almost zero in the way of spares. Trying to think what I do have: ................. I do have a spare radiator (that needs recoring) and I've tended to keep old parts as I replace them. (Like master cylinders, mirrors and odds and ends like that.) So I'm not really the person to give you recommendations on what spares to bring in. I guess I would look at what appears "suspect" (if anything) on your vehicle. (You'd be very lucky to find nothing at all I would think.)

[quote: Anyone else done the drive through Central America, with stories about border crossings?]
How I envy you! Nothing like travelling through foreign lands in your fourby. (I did that in Australia because that's where I bought mine before flying it across to New Zealand all those years ago.)

Thanks, Tom.
BTW, I did find the chassis number etched into the frame on the RH side near where it attaches to the bumper. I did NOT find any door plate, and the plate at the back of the engine compartment was blank except for Japanese characters. My chassis no. (also my VIN I guess) is BJ40-039773. I checked it with my title paperwork and it is that same listed numbera both for chassis and VIN. So all appears copacetic.

I used the locator website to determine that VIN dates to a September, 1979 timeframe of production, which makes it a Model Year 1980, also in agreement with the title.

Also, we have the head off grinding a valve and we saw the Motor No. there to be 0300577 though I don't know what use that is unless I could trace the motor number somehow to the chassis number and VERIFY that the motor is the original. DOES ANYONE KNOW A WEBSITE WITH THIS MATCH-UP INFO???

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. I will look up the website for parts and compare some prices versus here.

Gringo1

Im confused, my VIN is only on my chassis and its short..BJ40 006161, how can i find info on this, all the websites state that my VIN needs to be 17 characters, is this true? Wondering what issue i will have at customs with the VIN only on the chassis

IN regards to shipping this home to Canada, do I need both VIN#. I understand I am expempt from Transport Canada Regulations but the Customs I am not too clear on

not to sure about shipping it home but i can tell u your Vin is correct in length for the year what year is it a 76-77
your Vin number is earlier than mine and mine is a 1978, 78 was the first year a BJ was imported into Canada ,Costa Rica had them earlier

It seems I am missing both, there might be one somewhere but I have searched high and low. Yes mine is a 77 BJ40 is there a site to check production company etc. Wondering if they will need me to tell them where it was built.

BJ 40 valuation - well I have two BJ40's right now in Oregon, both purchased ex Costa Rica on Ebay in the last six months. One is a 1975 and the other is a 1978.

Purchase price, importation fees and transport from Miami to Oregon - I figure I am averaging $18,000 each.

Your mileage may vary.

... I used the locator website to determine that VIN dates to ...

I´d love to know what my VIN dates to, what is this locator website?

... I have two BJ40's ... One is a 1975 and the other is a 1978...

Would you mind sharing your chassis number and/or build date? I´ve got an early ´75 BJ40 and am trying to find out just how early it is. I am only aware of one LHD BJ40 with an earlier chassis number, and that has a later engine casting number than mine.

Thanks

do u have any of the body plates ? there were two of them , u are missing both is what u are saying ?

It seems I am missing both, there might be one somewhere but I have searched high and low. Yes mine is a 77 BJ40 is there a site to check production company etc. Wondering if they will need me to tell them where it was built.

The VIN plate on the driver's door I believe was a North American thing and not every market had them. I do not know about BJ40s but in the US the FJ40 had a VIN mounted on the passenger's fender below the battery. 78 was the first year it was moved back to the firewall since the mid sixties when it moved from the firewall to the fender.

Right ok, I will check the battery plate. Mine is drivers side is that weird? perhaps the BJ is on the drivers and FJ is on the passenger

Diesel verses gas I'm sure is the difference. Starting with the 78 the VIN was attached to the firewall using four rivets. On the inside of the fender VIN plate was held on with two sheet metal screws. If nothing is there I would look for a couple of holes used to mount the plate. If your thinking about exporting it to North American might check into getting one of the replacement VIN plates and installing it. If the frame number matches the title could see how adding a VIN plate could hurt. Installing a VIN plate that matches the title and not the frame I'm guessing would be illegal.

Ya its going into the shop for a full re spray so I will get the guy to look for a VIN plate on the body and hope it matches the frame,

Where does one purchase a replacement VIN plate? I've searched no luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom