BJ 42 H55F top plate shift fork questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got my hands on an 82 BJ 42 cover with no mechanical internals, just the cover. Im doing an H55F conversion (brand new). After some research here in MUD I presumed the only differences between the internals were a gear leaver seat. Took to my mechanic for installation of tranny/transfer and installation of top plate and he said the shift forks are about 1/2 inch too high. MUD member Doppypuppy has done this but I havent been able to get ahold of him. Anyone else reused FJ 60 h55f internals on a 40 top plate with success?

image.jpeg

the upper shaft is different. I believe all parts are no longer supplied so you would have to have someone machine and weld the two pieces of the 60 type together to make a 40 series style and fit them in right place on shaft (which are different parts to).

I was able to buy all the freeze plugs and do the conversions 15 years ago but have no current experience.
60 top.png

40 top.png

Where'd you source that top plate? I'd love to find one of those, with or without internals.

Rick_d and dopypuppy, thanks for all the advice and parts schematics.

Iptman, sourced the top from Germany (Bamaco) ...best of luck! All other top cover internals will need to be fabricated. Toyota hasn't made these parts for years and Ive had no luck sourcing OEM. Good news is the 60 parts can be modified with minor welding, drilling and shortening based on rick_ds inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom