Birf's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Longfields or OEM?

After my rebuild and Birf swap (swapped sides) a click has developed. I am planning to replace them if I am going to rip it open again. Anyone price the OEM units or have the Longfields installed. Do Longfields come pre-assembled and pre-lubed?

If your ABS rings are in good shape then the Longfield are less costly then OEM's. Both come assembled but the Longfields do not have an ABS ring installed you will need to remove it from your old birf and install it on the Longfield. EZ to do. Both need to be pack with grease before installation. A set of OEM birf can be had new for a little under $1000.00 :eek:

Just out of curiousity, who did your rebuild and birf swap? Did they replace the clip ring inside the birf or reuse them?

DougM

I did the rebuild and yes I replaced the clip ring. CDan gave me all the parts needed to complete the rebuild.

How does one go about pulling the ABS ring?
Longfields as good or better than OEM?

80me said:
I did the rebuild and yes I replaced the clip ring. CDan gave me all the parts needed to complete the rebuild.

How does one go about pulling the ABS ring?
Longfields as good or better than OEM?

Use a cold chisel and tap around to work it off. A little heat on the ring would help.

Longfields are stronger than OEM

I dont think anyone has put 100k miles on a Long to know for sure how they wear.

If the New Longs were available when I broke my birf I would have changed to Longs but that me.

is the clip ring removal process the same as dropping the axle through a tube and it drops down on the floor?

Same process as the pipe trick, just a bit slower.

If I had to replace a worn out Birfs, I'd buy the Longs. But that would require a bunch of extra work to retain the ABS.

IIRC, there was a post somewhere where Bobby Long said that they were going to start shipping their birfs prepacked in Mobil1 Molly Grease due to some customers that installed the new birfs without any grease.

:beer

80me said:
Longfields or OEM?

After my rebuild and Birf swap (swapped sides) a click has developed. I am planning to replace them if I am going to rip it open again. Anyone price the OEM units or have the Longfields installed. Do Longfields come pre-assembled and pre-lubed?

Since no one else has said it, you do know that a click isn't necessarily the end of the world for your birf? Was there not a click before you swapped sides?

If not, this would lean to suggest that a PO had previously swapped side with them. As the click seems to be specific wear patterns on the joints. Why not switch back, if in fact they weren't clicking before?

Or pick up some Longfields and keep them, but wheel/drive this now until it breaks. Might as well get all the use out of it.

TX_TLC said:
Since no one else has said it, you do know that a click isn't necessarily the end of the world for your birf? Was there not a click before you swapped sides?

If not, this would lean to suggest that a PO had previously swapped side with them. As the click seems to be specific wear patterns on the joints. Why not switch back, if in fact they weren't clicking before?

Or pick up some Longfields and keep them, but wheel/drive this now until it breaks. Might as well get all the use out of it.

It didn't click before and does now. I would guess that it has been swapped at some point, but thats only a guess. If I pull it apart I will go with new birfs. I fear I would hear a click after putting it all back together (a second time). :crybaby:

I have a 550 mile haul and thought it might be a good idea to get things "right". I will likely just wait it out and go new in the spring.

Thanks!

Curran said:
Same process as the pipe trick, just a bit slower.

If I had to replace a worn out Birfs, I'd buy the Longs. But that would require a bunch of extra work to retain the ABS.

IIRC, there was a post somewhere where Bobby Long said that they were going to start shipping their birfs prepacked in Mobil1 Molly Grease due to some customers that installed the new birfs without any grease.

:beer

Any work other than pulling the ABS ring that I am not aware of?

Yes what is involved in pulling the ABS ring on the birfs and put them on the longs? Also are the longs 30 spline or 27 spline? Longs also has 30 spline front axles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom