Birfields Clean/Repack Or Replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 93 80 and have a clicking noise on left turns, I imagine it’s the birfields and I am wondering how to tell if they need replaced or if a thorough cleaning and repack will suffice. Any help will be greatly appreciated, there are some great links on this site Thanks.

Tony In Muskogee (large T)

Tony, mileage, service history (or lack thereof) would be helpful. But if you’re lucky and it has not been going on for too long a simple birf repack should suffice.

see post repackin the birfs, just down below
pretty sure someone said if theyre clicking its too late
something like being the "end of the world" I believe was said.
hopefully not, but from what I read, STOP DRIVING IT
and get it done, you might have a chance yet

I think the only way to tell if it is worn is to pull it. If it needs to be replaced dont get the ones from MAF, the abs ring doesn't fit. The Newfields are a lot cheaper than Toyota birfields. I have them and have no problems.
kurt

When inspecting the birfields how do you tell if they need to be replaced?

I talked to the mechanic at the dealer today and he said they have never had to replace a birfield because of wear.
Problem is that up here in Canada the dealers never see many 80s and I'm worried that these guys aren't up to speed. I find myself having to play middle man between this site full of info and the dealer's mechanics.

I figure just replace the wheel bearings and knuckle bearings but the birfields are expensive I bet.

Large T,
People have had various experiences with their birfs once they started to click. Everything from a simple repack to an all out failure (exploding birf) requiring extensive $$$. My advise is to stop driving the truck and have the service done immediately.

BenieBJ60,
The 80 is a full time 4WD system. The front axles turn all the time so the birfs are constantly being used. The 60/62 and earlier series was part time 4WD so the birfs laid dormant until you locked them in with the T-case and hubs. No where near the usage of that of an 80. This is why they would not see alot of failures with the birfs.

You might consider pulling the birfields/inner axle, then swap the birfields side to side. This solved the clicking in my friend's 142k 80 series. I've heard that it's temporary, but we did the work back in January and he is still click free. Once you tear it down to repack, the only extra work is separating the birf and inner axles. It also allows you to more thoroughly clean out the birfield.

In it's current state, every mile you travel lessens the chance that you will be able to solve it without replacing birfs or maybe spindles. I agree completely that you should park it RIGHT NOW and service the axle. Once the birfs are totally clean you can inspect them to see how the wear looks. If you do not procrastinate, you may be ok.

Dan.

Big T,
I agree with all others above with one little add in there. if they are just clicking at this point find a GOOD shop that specializes in cv axle remanufacture. you can call you r local stealer and see who they recomend and pull you axles out and have them reman them for you. they will tear apart the insides and if needed they will usually resurface the guide seal seat on the main shaft. just my opinion but 8k after the reman to mine and still going well.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom