Birfield Damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

roaddog77

Not all those who wander are lost
Threads
Website
lilythelandcruiser.com
Pulled the front end apart on my 86 FJ60 today. Passenger side looks pristine. Drivers side birfield and knuckle looks like this.

Other than this damage everything looks great. The inside of the birfield that I can see looks pristine. The grease was clean. There's no metal that I can see. The bearings look almost new. I've spent a while looking at forum posts and it seems like it's not too bad and it's likely something that happened quite a while ago and was repaired.

I'm dropping the housing to clean it up, paint it and fix a few crappy welds that were done during an SOA conversion. I'm torn between reusing this and buying new chrome moly birfields from SOR. I'm pretty sure it will be fine. At the same time I purchased a disc to disc rebuild kit from SOR that includes every seal and bearing between the hubs.

I don't do hardcore wheeling. I'm running 33's and I'm building this more for reliability than to be able to take it to the extreme. Think it will last a while? Should I sand the outside of the birfield down to smooth it out? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to waste money replacing something that doesn't need to be replaced. I don't want to rip this apart again for a while though.

how's the bushing inside the spindle?

can't be that good .. that would not happen under normal circumstances ..

Yeah I'd say you're right. Looking through things and the lower knuckle bearing is damaged.

IMG_4427.JPG

The exterior of the birf really doesn't matter. I'd dissemble it and clean all the grease out of it with solvent then meticulously inspect the balls and cage for damage. Reassemble with a very light coating of grease and move the inner shaft around and make sure it moves smoothly without binding.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom