Bilstein Shocks. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am contemplating to purchase the Bilstein shocks to reduce the stffness on my 97 LC and replace it. I was thinking Lexus LX450 shocks but my local dealer charges $67/shocks, and I thought as mine as well go with Bilstein, but I wanted to get members feedback first.
Thanks.

I did a search with "bilstein" went back 600 days and got over 50 posts, with various opinions on these shocks

They are better. However I find it curious that you find the stock shocks too harsh. If you find the stock shocks to be to harsh then you probably won't like the Bilsteins since they tend to be more of a performance shock.

if you want to go with a softer ride go with the old man emu light shocks
:beer:

[quote author=MNCruiser link=board=2;threadid=11777;start=msg107345#msg107345 date=1077216127]
I was thinking Lexus LX450 shocks but my local dealer charges $67/shocks,.
Thanks.
[/quote]

I have OEM Lexus shocks with about 5-6k miles on them. Make me an offer.

Hey Hoser,
PM me with oyour price.

Just a sidebar........

I just replace my LX450 shocks with LC .....there is a noticeable difference, to me , at least. Toyota's are DEFINTELY firmer than LX......firmer than I expected.

I'm going back to the OEN Lexus version, or either trying the edelbrocks / bilsteins previously mentioned.

FYI

MNccruiser,

If able, you might try driving a rig with the Lexus stock shocks first before deciding. Some have complained about the lack of stability of the stock shocks, say for instance on highway next to a big rig. That combined with the high center of gravity on these rigs, makes some feel uneasy (unsafe, even queezy??) with the cushy shocks.

Personally, I didn't think it was "that" bad. But, I just switched out to a stiffer shock (KYB Monomax) cause I thought it was time for some new ones.

Rookie2

The Bilsteins will be a stiff set of shocks. I'd imagine the ride will be similar to the LC shocks. Bilsteins are the choice of shocks for the LRs that are inherently tippy and wobbly. LR sway bars are wimpy by design, even though the body is all alum, wobbly(ness) is very common. These shocks usually give a very firm ride with very little body sway.

Your choice of tires will also influence your shock choice. Running MT/Rs and LC shocks was murder. The ride was way too stiff for my taste. OME shocks are better IMO.

[quote author=alia176 link=board=2;threadid=11777;start=msg107780#msg107780 date=1077287075]
The Bilsteins will be a stiff set of shocks. I'd imagine the ride will be similar to the LC shocks. Bilsteins are the choice of shocks for the LRs that are inherently tippy and wobbly. LR sway bars are wimpy by design, even though the body is all alum, wobbly(ness) is very common. These shocks usually give a very firm ride with very little body sway.

Your choice of tires will also influence your shock choice. Running MT/Rs and LC shocks was murder. The ride was way too stiff for my taste. OME shocks are better IMO.
[/quote]

1) Bilsteins have much more dampining than the OEM Lancruiser shocks.

2) Where did you get the idea that LC body was aluminium?

Cary

Cary,

I think alia176 was refering to LR(Land Rover) not LC on alluminum body.

I like my "billies" :D

is there a Bilstein (or any other shock for that matter) that will fit both a stock 80 and one with 2.5" OME lift?

the shocks on my 80 are opriginal and shot, I think the left rear has lost all its fluid as that corner felles like it is flopping in the breeze

it will be a wile before I get to the lift (maintenance and armor come first) , dont think I can live with these until then, if there is not one that will do both lifted and stock then I'll grab a set of cheap shocks as a stop gap I understand the OEM's are reasonable for a smart shopper?

I put Heavy Duty Bilstein shocks on my 3/4 ton chevy and although they were much stiffer than stock the ride was better, with the stock shocks you got the bump and then a bunch of cycling, with the stiff shock it was a single event, also took out most of the body roll in cornering, with the stiff springs that thing has an almost sporty feel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom