Big brakes for 08-15 using 16+ parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know if this impacts the overall dimensions of the braking systems? Obviously, the rotors are now 14mm larger in diameter. However, the reason I ask is that I have 17" wheels on my 2011 LX and I know that at the time I got mine, there were only a few 17" wheels that would fit around the brakes (calipers?). So, I'm thinking about doing this upgrade but curious if anyone knows if it could cause issues with my 17" wheels (Icon Six Speeds).

Thanks!
Yes the caliper moves out and that is usually the furthest part from the axle centerline, so the overall brake package gets bigger. Thing is, it's no bigger than what fits a tundra or 2016+ cruiser/LX, so any wheel that fits those will fit this.

I believe the icon's are designed to fit the bigger brakes but I'd confirm that before investing in these parts.

Does anyone know if this impacts the overall dimensions of the braking systems? Obviously, the rotors are now 14mm larger in diameter. However, the reason I ask is that I have 17" wheels on my 2011 LX and I know that at the time I got mine, there were only a few 17" wheels that would fit around the brakes (calipers?). So, I'm thinking about doing this upgrade but curious if anyone knows if it could cause issues with my 17" wheels (Icon Six Speeds).

Thanks!

The caliper will move outwards by 7mm, or little more than 1/4". If you have that clearance, you should be just fine.

Props to @bloc and @TeCKis300 for figuring this out. I did this upgrade to my 2010 a couple of weeks ago. Just wanted to add a couple of tips/observations that might help the next person tackling this.

First off, I highly recommend the Holt pneumatic brake bleeding kit from Harbor Freight. I've bled a lot of brakes and now wish I had bought this years ago. Well worth the $99.

Second, I rented multiple CV pullers from O'Reilly and none worked with the bolt pattern. I ended up renting the 7-ton 3-jaw puller and it worked great.

Lastly, while researching the type of grease to use for the hub, I found a few articles/videos advising against adding any lubricant to the CV splines and wheel hub. I never found any solid advice for the type to use and I needed to drive it the next day, so I ended up wiping out any debris but not all of the existing grease. Hoping this doesn't come back to bite me!

Cant seem find definite answer so I'll ask.
Does 17 inch stock wheel ( +60) fit on this 16+ parts brake upgrade or will I need to get some tyres on my 18 inch stock rims ready to go at Workshop?.

Does 17 inch stock wheel ( +60) fit on this 16+ parts brake upgrade or will I need to get some tyres on my 18 inch stock rims ready to go at Workshop?.
We never got those here so I’ll ping @VooDoo2

You mean a 17”x7” stock steelies? Interested in the answer too!

You mean a 17”x7” stock steelies? Interested in the answer too!

I did a little digging in the parts diagrams.

Looks like in Australia the larger brakes only came on vehicles with the 18" aluminum wheel. The smaller brakes were still available well after the larger ones were.. seems to be an option. Now this doesn't necessarily mean the 17" -won't- fit them.. just that it seems toyota didn't sell it that way.

need @VooDoo2 or someone else from your neighborhood to chime in.

Interesting write-up, thanks for this. On the subject of the larger hardware, the dealer service records for my 2010 LX indicate that in Nov 2021 the previous owner brought the vehicle in complaining of a scraping noise, and the dealer found one of the caliper bolts "Was rusted and wasn't holding the caliper causing the caliper to scrape the wheel". They replaced it, inspected the other bolts on both sides, and the problem was solved. I'm a bit skeptical whether rust was the actual issue, or if it was an improperly torqued bolt, as the service records indicate the same caliper was replaced two years and 20,000 kms earlier by the same dealer, so one would hope that if a bolt was corroded to the point of potential failure it would have been identified at that point. Might be nothing, might be part of the reason for the change in hardware.

No way those beefy bolts holding the caliper "failed", Rusted, crossthreaded, overtorqued, sure. One of the bolts holding my '16 were front caliper were overtorqued by someone who did the PO's service and it damaged threads on the caliper. The bolt was fine.

87177A5B-8200-45AF-B966-2B77F7FFAB84.jpeg

Last edited:
When forced to guess between dealer incompetence or an engineering failure on the part of toyota, I know which one I'm choosing.

The 16+ Sahara and Vx have the big brakes standard In Australia .
Might have to go see an Importer I know and see if He has steelies etc .
He might even do brake swap with me.

Owes me for selling my car back to him.

I have 17" alloy( +60 ) and 18" alloy ( +56)

IMG_5716.jpg

I did a little digging in the parts diagrams.

Looks like in Australia the larger brakes only came on vehicles with the 18" aluminum wheel. The smaller brakes were still available well after the larger ones were.. seems to be an option. Now this doesn't necessarily mean the 17" -won't- fit them.. just that it seems toyota didn't sell it that way.

need @VooDoo2 or someone else from your neighborhood to chime in.

340mm fronts on pre facelift
354mm fronts (with tundra calipers) on the Aussue VX/Sahara facelift

SOME aftermarket 17" wheels from method, ROH will fit with the larger brakes but not all

The website of my local Toyota parts dealer couldn't locate the caliper bolts.

After looking elsewhere it looks like 90105-A0336 is the new part number for the bolts super-seeding 90105-14198?? (someone may need to verify this)

Figured I'd post up for the next guy piecing these parts together.

The website of my local Toyota parts dealer couldn't locate the caliper bolts.

After looking elsewhere it looks like 90105-A0336 is the new part number for the bolts super-seeding 90105-14198?? (someone may need to verify this)

Figured I'd post up for the next guy piecing these parts together.
That appears correct. I'll edit the initial posts.. thanks for the heads up.

That appears correct. I'll edit the initial posts.. thanks for the heads up.
No worries. Glad to help.

One quick question, it looks like I am going with the stock pads for a 2016+ i.e. part #04465-60280 (I think).
Do I need to also purchase a shim and spring kit? Or will the calipers / pads come with these?

I'm doing the upgrade on a 2013.

No worries. Glad to help.

One quick question, it looks like I am going with the stock pads for a 2016+ i.e. part #04465-60280 (I think).
Do I need to also purchase a shim and spring kit? Or will the calipers / pads come with these?

I'm doing the upgrade on a 2013.
Per the diagrams the shims are not included with pads. 04945-60080

Same part number as your 2013 if you still have factory shims.

Parts for the "Light Install" i.e. (Keeping old Backing Plates) are coming in today.
Going to start the install tomorrow on a 2013 LX570.

I thought I would have more time to order the Amazon step bit but my parts dealer shipped my stuff a lot quicker than I anticipated.

So looks like I am going to grab a variety of step bits locally and some cutting fluid and hope for the best.

Going to rely on this thread, but definitely open to any pointers.

Parts for the "Light Install" i.e. (Keeping old Backing Plates) are coming in today.
Going to start the install tomorrow on a 2013 LX570.

I thought I would have more time to order the Amazon step bit but my parts dealer shipped my stuff a lot quicker than I anticipated.

So looks like I am going to grab a variety of step bits locally and some cutting fluid and hope for the best.

Going to rely on this thread, but definitely open to any pointers.
Do you have access to a bench grinder? That’s the easiest way I know of to get a step bit to size.

I finished the install of the 2016+ rotors/calipers a couple weeks ago and will definitely say there is a noticeable difference at least in my application.
My experience with drilling the caliper holes wasn't too bad but my methodology was a little different than others.

I grabbed a couple harbor freight step bits and ground them down to the 9/16 step however after the first hole the progress using these slowed down significantly. I started hunting around for a standard 9/16 bit and found one in a box of old drill bits my dad had given me.

It worked pretty flawlessly. Going slow and using some oil, I had the remaining two or three holes done in maybe an hour or two. I have no idea how to tell what type of bit or the manufacturer but I posted some pics below.
Bit #1.jpg
Bit #2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom