Big brakes for 08-15 using 16+ parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another note on the upgrade, my 2015 brake pedal had a squishy air sound previously when depressed(not sure how to best describe it, but noticeable).
This sound went away when I upgraded the front/ changed out the rear brakes. I just noticed it on my drive home tonight.

Hi all,

Finally got around to doing this right before I send it off to Mainline. Used the industrial bit Drill America bit and some tap magic with my basic Ryobi on the low setting and didn’t take even 30 seconds each hole.

Dumb question, getting mixed info when searching the sites for pads, is it really the same size pad as 08 through 15? I assumed larger rotor and might mean a slightly larger pad, but doesn’t really look to be the case? Or maybe not everyone has updated info on their specs, which is unlikely.

Hi all,

Finally got around to doing this right before I send it off to Mainline. Used the industrial bit Drill America bit and some tap magic with my basic Ryobi on the low setting and didn’t take even 30 seconds each hole.

Dumb question, getting mixed info when searching the sites for pads, is it really the same size pad as 08 through 15? I assumed larger rotor and might mean a slightly larger pad, but doesn’t really look to be the case? Or maybe not everyone has updated info on their specs, which is unlikely.
Same brake pad part numbers for 08-15 and 16+

Oddly I'm finding 0446560281 for 2019+ , but the parts show as interchangeable and I'm not certain as to what the difference on the newer part number is.

Hi all,

Same brake pad part numbers for 08-15 and 16+

Oddly I'm finding 0446560281 for 2019+ , but the parts show as interchangeable and I'm not certain as to what the difference on the newer part number is.

I'm guessing here, but it could be a slight change to the pad compound. I can confirm TRD, Hawk, and EBC pads are interchangeable between the larger and smaller brakes though, I've put all of those in both early and late 200 calipers.

Thanks guys!

Follow up stupid question, what drives the improved breaking then? I get the larger rotor should equate to improved braking, but would assume only if larger contact area from pads. Calipers appear to be nearly same size, just eyeballing it, and must be if pads are interchangeable. It’s not as though the Calipers compress harder…

Not a mechanic or engineer, just couldn’t get my head around this. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks guys!

Follow up stupid question, what drives the improved breaking then? I get the larger rotor should equate to improved braking, but would assume only if larger contact area from pads. Calipers appear to be nearly same size, just eyeballing it, and must be if pads are interchangeable. It’s not as though the Calipers compress harder…

Basically the pad & caliper moving outward means a given amount of friction there has more leverage against the tire/wheel compared to the smaller rotor. Not unlike grabbing a cheater bar to help give mechanical advantage over a very tight bolt. In this case it's an incremental but noticeable difference.

Thanks guys!

Yup to above.

In addition to mechanical leverage, the larger rotor has the benefit of more mass to sink the heat generated from braking. This reduces peak temperature reached in an equivalent braking event. The larger rotor also has more surface area and vanes to cool off quicker.

All things that contribute significantly to braking larger loads, resulting in more consistent and repeatable brake performance.

In addition to mechanical leverage, the larger rotor has the benefit of more mass to sink the heat generated from braking. This reduces peak temperature reached in an equivalent braking event. The larger rotor also has more surface area and vanes to cool off quicker.
Very good points.

Thanks for the feedback, almost done installing, hope to pad in later today or tomorrow. Look forward to end result!

Did you all go with the 133# Front Brake Caliper torque specs post conversion? Assume so given it’s now effectively 16+ on the fronts. Versus the 08-15 which I think were 75#s

Did you all go with the 133# Front Brake Caliper torque specs post conversion? Assume so given it’s now effectively 16+ on the fronts. Versus the 08-15 which I think were 75#s
Yes. Larger bolt with a different pitch, 133 is in the factory service manual and should be used with 16+ calipers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom