Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Randyfj60, Dec 12, 2016.
Great work! Keep it up bud.
After finishing the passage side body work I moved on to more cutting and welding on the roof and drivers quarter panel and getting the rocker panel rock sliders in. For the rocker's I decided to try something I have never seen done and I kind like the look and hope they hold up. Hopefully they match the rear bumper, and finally got to spray some panels with primer.
Here are some of the primered panels that still need a little tweaking. As for the drip rails I knocked off all the old seam sealer and bought new and painted then with por-15 because I like the look of the chrome rails but needed a paint the could stand up with the scratching that happens when installing them and the moisture that come with them.
The build is finished now and I have a lot of catching up to do but I'm going to do my best on the drive to get back up to date. Going through the body work was the biggest challenge I'm no mud slinger but I can do so good metal work so fast forward to the whole truck being primmered and ready for paint
As for the way paint goes I went with a ppg product in there fleet line called delfleet essental. I'm not very happy with the way the paint laid due to my 20 dollar harbor freight gun that was a little stuffed up but hell this trucks going to get scratched from branches and everything else so it doesn't need to be perfect and for the first real spray I've done not to bad
Next up besides reassembly was the roof rack witch was key for the rtt and storage for such a long trip so I made it completely custom to my needs I started with a con-a-ferr rack that was thrown in with the deal on the truck and chopped it up did some reinforcements and laid some 1x4 poplar on. Hope you like. The idea was for the rtt to be a canopy over the lift gate and plans for an Anex in the future
As I worked on the roof rack I found some rust in the double layered steel in the rear frame rails so I decided to take care of it asap, using some 1/4inch 4x2 c channel and a welder and si new bolts made the job go pretty smooth hardest thing is making sure the cuts are as straight as possible for a no gap fit
View attachment 20170209_235420.jpg
Wow that paint looks really good! I like the poplar roof rack, I might do that with mine.
Thanks the stain on it came out really great with that grain
Next step after getting those welded in was taking care of the gas tank witch was covered in rust witch I didn't take photos of but I used a tank liner that I purchased from a radiator shop and it has been working great no more clogging filters. Step 1 was to wash out with water and soap step2 was pour in liner and slowly rotate tank. After I stained the rack and lined the tank I started on the motor witch had a miss on the 4th and 6th hole came to find out it was a couple burnt valves.
In an attempt to clean up the motor bay a desmogged the truck and sand blasted the valve cover and intake exhaust manifold and ceracoated it witch is a form of almost powder coat but much higher heat resistant. I stole the head off my parts vechical and it checked out good. Started coming together and working out for me or so I thought. I bought new bearings and rings and torn apart the bottom end while I was in there.