Events/Trails Big Bend Ranch State Park Trip Report - Heaven on earth (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the report , I have that on my list of places to see..

The lag bolts are the way to go. I use 10-12 and 14” bolts View attachment 2217619

I wish I had discovered this sooner. I've tried so many different "pegs" and "stakes" it's been ridiculous. Your solution accomplishes the same thing for much less cost than I paid on Amazon. Heading to Home Depot now :)

Thanks for the report , I have that on my list of places to see..

Definitely worth the trip. Since the State Park and National Park are adjacent, you can experience both on the same trip. Definitely want to plan a minimum of 3 nights in the State Park and probably 2 in the National. Best 2 sites in the National Park IMO are McKinney Spring on Old Ore Rd and Talley2 down on River Road East (at the Black Gap Junction). Both of the sites are about as remote as you're going to get in the National Park.

Awesome looking trip! I'm muy jealous.

Next time you're in the A, be sure to reach out.

Side note: It's looking like there's a possibility I'll be moving to TX. Houston area, unfortunately. I've found a few parks around the area but do you know if there's stuff within a day's drive? (I know TX is massive and I may as well be asking someone from Oklahoma 😁 ) Just hate the idea of leaving easy access to the Blue Ridge to wind up stuck in a hurricane-flooded swampland.

Side note: It's looking like there's a possibility I'll be moving to TX. Houston area, unfortunately. I've found a few parks around the area but do you know if there's stuff within a day's drive? (I know TX is massive and I may as well be asking someone from Oklahoma 😁 ) Just hate the idea of leaving easy access to the Blue Ridge to wind up stuck in a hurricane-flooded swampland.
You will have to get up into Arkansas. TX is not good for public land.

Will definitely hit you up if I make it to Hotlanta! Houston definitely isn't an overlanders dream for sure. But, you've got the Sam Houston National Forest north of the city that's pretty nice and there's some really solid beach camping along Padre island from Corpus Christi...think 60 miles of wide open beach that you can camp ANYWHERE along (only place in TX you can do that).

If you do wind up moving to Houston, I'll pay to you to run me a whole bunch of Emergency Drinking Beer ala Smokey and the Bandit style all the way to Texas :)

Reeeally want to get to BBSP- thanks for the trip report.

There isn't a lot public land in Texas (in the form or large parks). But you can drive just about anywhere in the State (from Houston) in 12 hrs. or less. There are a ton of things to see in do in Texas however, so you can stay busy and enjoy yourself here without going on days long camping trips (though you can do that too).

Geanes....We did the same trip to BB State Park from Austin over Thanksgiving with friends! It was a nice workout for my LX - ended up with a chunk of metal in a rear tire just as we got to our campsite. Props to the Ranger station staff who patched the tire for $12.00. it was great trip and I too want to return soon.

Great report Gary, thanks! that tip on lag bolts is interesting, I'm going to try that in the Colorado Rockies...

And I would love to sample that emergency drinking beer at HIH if anyone from that way is headed that way... would be a great add to the whiskey bar/cigar bar/shenanigans night out on the deck.

Looks like a fabulous trip! I'm envious of folks with easy access to the Great American West!

Can't imagine going out there anytime from May-Sept....would be HOT as heck.

Been out to BBRSP two times in August (not my idea) and never again. Upside is that the rangers are the only other people in the park. Downside is that only the first hour and last hour of the day are enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom