BEST wiring harness tape (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For anyone wondering about what seems like the ultimate resource in how to geek out on a wiring harness, I present the following link:

Motorsports ECU Wiring Harness Construction

Edit: note the $200 mechanical wire stripping tools, thermal wire strippers, harness pull testing equipment, wire part numbers, heat shrink labeling machines, $25k wiring bills for race cars, etc

Last edited:
use the stretchable non adhesive tape to wrap a harness, it binds to itself as you wrap it. I have used some really nice black abrasion resistant sleeving I got from mcmasster carr. Great stuff. I really dislike the plastic tubing shown above, it just ages and falls away over time.

Tape going forward will always be Elliot tape: Expensive but so worth it. Best tape I have ever used.

Very similar to the OEM harness tape. Used it on my 60 rebuild.

This stack was $60:

image.jpeg

That both fiberous tape and normal environmental tape.

Zip ties: Panduit all the way. Best zip ties on the market.

Fleece tape is good stuff too... Found cheap on amazon... I personally wouldn't touch a harness with 33 or 88 tape. I like the non-adhesive tape or shrink wrap for the engine bay and fleece for interior...

-Phil

Wow. What are the OCDs tie-wrap of choice these days? Panduit, Peek, Thomas & Bett, Ty-Rap, or Hellerman Tyton?

Granted, it was a much higher vibration 1.9L diesel, but I've seen two separate volkswagens abrade right through harness wires (rubber insulation and copper conductor) in the exact same pattern as the convoluted tubing wrap. Yes, dust/dirt was present. I think this is part of why VW moved to the fabric friction tape I mentioned earlier

Not that it isn't a good option... I just think it isn't always the best.

This is definitely true. I've made more than my fair share of worn through wiring repairs. Convolute Is the most common you will find in cars so that's really common to see. Also would seem critters like to gnaw on it for some reason. I have made friction repairs on nylon, tape, and vinyl as well but not as frequently.

There are 2 reasons I have moved away from tape. 1. If water dirt or oil get in there they will stay in there tightly with no way to clean it out. I have seen entire harness get ruined from a leak wicking into the tape. 2. If you need to add more wire to the harness it's much easier to do with the convolute as opposed to tape.

There are tons of options out there though and I'm sure you will find something you can be proud of!

Cheers,
Dan

Sent from my iPhone

Wow. What are the OCDs tie-wrap of choice these days? Panduit, Peek, Thomas & Bett, Ty-Rap, or Hellerman Tyton?

I've done some High Pressure plumbing with small diameter PEEK tubing before and HOLY CRAP that stuff is tough. Same thing for some machined parts.. I get that this is the point, but it is weird to work with a plastic that has properties more impressive than some metals.

Well a wiring harness problem on my VW forced me to do some more tape research, and I stumbled on something that may be useful to you guys.

Mercedes uses a fabric product made by "Tesa". Part number 51026 ($9-15/roll on amazon/ebay) is good for 150*C without breaking down the adhesive. There are also "fuzzy" tapes but the temp rating isn't as high, mostly intended for interior wiring where squeaking could be an issue. The adhesive on this stuff appears black, but is common engine-bay chemical resistant and shouldn't get all gooey like regular electrical tape.

Even better, BMW and VW/Audi use something made by "Coroplast" called 837X. (~$11/roll on ebay) It is a tighter woven fabric tape, but the adhesive on this is clear. Same chemical/temperature resistance as the Tesa stuff, but if anything sticks to the wires it at least won't be black in color.

After opening and re-wrapping the nearly entire engine harness in my TDI VW, I won't be using the vinyl electrical tape ever again for auto wiring.

For the record.. if you find yourself in a pinch don't bother stopping by your local BMW dealer for this stuff. They wanted $4/foot. The Central MB dealer wanted $39/roll for the tesa, a spot a bit further out of town as $29. The VW part was about $20, but they had to order it. Plan ahead and save big. One roll easily handled the majority of the harness in my VW.. I think it would work for most of a 1FZ as well.

I just used self-fusing silicone tape on my harness to put it back together after hacking it for a supecharger install. That stuff is awesome. No adhesive. Good up to 500 Deg F. It fuses quickly. I had to redo a section after 10 minutes and I couldn't unwrap it, I had to cut it off. I'd highly recommend it if you want something that's good for high temperatures and doesn't have any adhesive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom