BEST wiring harness tape (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm going to lean on the OCD tendencies of others in this section and ask what people are using for closing wiring harnesses.

I've used the very nice 3M Super 88+ in the past but even that will leave a black adhesive goop on the wires once heat is applied, like in an engine bay.

I've looked at the non-adhesive vinyl tape here: Non-Adhesive Harness Tape
but it seems that having to tie the end of it off isn't how Mr T did it.

Friction tape is what VW uses and it seems great on those cars. However even if the inner layer is sealed it has a fabric outer surface and that doesn't seem as good for an environment with mud/dirt.

Silicon tape sounds like a good idea, but how permanent is the "fuse" it makes? Do you have to cut the tape open to work on the harness in the future or can it be peeled back at all?

But what is toyota using? Seems like minimal adhesive and the goop that is there is at least clear and appears to be at least a little more heat resistant

I use 3m Super 33+. I like the various color options and the fact that it will still peel off after a long time. It leaves the black adhesive goop but that doesn't bug me as much as having to cut old tape off.

I have also used the 3m rubber tape (105c?) as a defensive layer under the vinyl tape. It has no adhesive but sticks to itself when stretched tight. This keeps the adhesive off the wires.

If there are better options I'd love to hear them.

Did you miss the part about looking for the 'mud 80-series OCD?

I use non-adhesive 1" tape, like in the video, but keep a few short pieces of Super 33 stuck to the bench within reach for securing the ends (rather than fiddling with knots). I also put the harness in split loom or give it a couple coats of Scotch-Kote, depending on where it's going to run.

Tape is preferable.. the frankenstein engine harness I'm ending up with will need to be re-wrapped from about the DLC to the ECU connectors.. and I don't have functioning EGR so I'm not really worried about that.

I'll give Super33+ and the non-adhesive stuff a look..

Oh! Then yeah the 3M super 33 is the way to go. There will be some residue but no more than then OEM stuff.

I like to use convoluted tubing to wrap the harness. A little electrical tape to hold the ends in place and closed. You can pick up the tubing in any parts store.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451176629.068425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Powerful OCD options.

Especially considering I'm likely ripping this engine out in favor of a vortec in a few months I'll stick with a good tape option for now.. but maybe when I do said Vortec..

I like to use convoluted tubing to wrap the harness. A little electrical tape to hold the ends in place and closed. You can pick up the tubing in any parts store.

Granted, it was a much higher vibration 1.9L diesel, but I've seen two separate volkswagens abrade right through harness wires (rubber insulation and copper conductor) in the exact same pattern as the convoluted tubing wrap. Yes, dust/dirt was present. I think this is part of why VW moved to the fabric friction tape I mentioned earlier

Not that it isn't a good option... I just think it isn't always the best.

View attachment 1181427

Sent from my iPhone

Seems very convoluted to me...

Sent from my iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom