Best way to learn how to weld? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A shop offering classes would be nice but haven't been able to find any of those. I did find Wake Tech's welding class list but not sure how that would work with me only wanting to take a couple. Need to dig into it more and likely email someone at the school.

I was looking at a Hobart as a welder option in my preliminary searches.
I remembered this place, it is in Raleigh:

They have a 2 hour intro class, which might be enough detail, or might be lacking in places, but for $70 its worth a shot

The wake tech course list and schedules are confusing as hell. They also change the times on the courses at the last minute it seems like, based on what classes fill.

I would def go to the admissions building and let the lady at the desk pull up the classes with the actual schedules for you.

The two night courses at south campus that don’t require prerequisites are CUTTING 101 and GMAW 101. I think these are prerequisites for other classes like tig or fabrication classes.

The classes were already “full” when I went and the lady put me in them anyway and the classes were not even full due to others dropping them.

I am pretty sure the cost for the GMAW class is cheaper than the price at that location posted above.
Based on the amount of hours you get to practice mig welding (4hours x 2 days per week )

Here is a list of classes you can without prerequisites.

WLD 110 - cutting processes : basically you get taught how to use different methods to cut steel to include oxyacetylene torch, plasma, brake, band saw, automated oxytorch, and automated plasma. Not bad to familiarize yourself with different methods if you have never used those methods before. ( I took because I need it to be able to take other classes since it is a prerequisite for other courses.

WLD 115 SMAW (stick) plate : just like the title states. You will be practicing to weld on steel plate in different positions with a stick welder.

WLD 115 GMAW (MIG) FCAW/ plate: this is probably the one you want to take since it is a mig class. You get anywhere from 6to 8 hours of shop time a week depending on what your working on that week.

These three courses are prerequisites if you want to take a tig class. Which is WLD 131 GTAW (TIG) plate.

Hope this helps you or anyone else looking at taking classes at wake tech.

I am going to try to take another mig and a tig class this semester. Hopefully I can still get into at least one. If not I will try to get into a stick welding course as a last option.

One last thing. For the two courses I took last semester I had up to 10 hours of shop time practicing welding and the cost was around $600 for the two classes for NC resident. It is about 5 times that price if your out of state resident.

I know becasue at first they charged me out of state resident rates, since technically I am an out of state resident but since I am still on active military duty they considered me an NC state resident for tuition purposes.

Anyway, hope the info helps.

I just found a smokin' deal on a barely used Hobart Handler 187. Once I get a little time I will test it on thin sheet metal to see how it does. If I am happy with it, I'll likely let go of my Hobart 140 machine. I have loved the Hobart 140 from day one. It's a great little 120v welder. I've put many bottles and spools of wire through it and it has never let me down. It has been great for body work, brackets and general repairs, but I wouldn't trust it to build a cage or to penetrate into 1/4" in a single pass. If the 187 is too much power for thin stuff, I'll have to keep the 140. If the 187 works out, the 140 will go up on in the ONSC buy/sell classifieds for a great price.

Here is a list of classes you can without prerequisites.

WLD 110 - cutting processes : basically you get taught how to use different methods to cut steel to include oxyacetylene torch, plasma, brake, band saw, automated oxytorch, and automated plasma. Not bad to familiarize yourself with different methods if you have never used those methods before. ( I took because I need it to be able to take other classes since it is a prerequisite for other courses.

WLD 115 SMAW (stick) plate : just like the title states. You will be practicing to weld on steel plate in different positions with a stick welder.

WLD 115 GMAW (MIG) FCAW/ plate: this is probably the one you want to take since it is a mig class. You get anywhere from 6to 8 hours of shop time a week depending on what your working on that week.

These three courses are prerequisites if you want to take a tig class. Which is WLD 131 GTAW (TIG) plate.

Hope this helps you or anyone else looking at taking classes at wake tech.

I am going to try to take another mig and a tig class this semester. Hopefully I can still get into at least one. If not I will try to get into a stick welding course as a last option.

Thanks for sharing this! This is really helpful.

One last thing. For the two courses I took last semester I had up to 10 hours of shop time practicing welding and the cost was around $600 for the two classes for NC resident. It is about 5 times that price if your out of state resident.

I know becasue at first they charged me out of state resident rates, since technically I am an out of state resident but since I am still on active military duty they considered me an NC state resident for tuition purposes.

Anyway, hope the info helps.
Good to know. Thanks!

I just found a smokin' deal on a barely used Hobart Handler 187. Once I get a little time I will test it on thin sheet metal to see how it does. If I am happy with it, I'll likely let go of my Hobart 140 machine. I have loved the Hobart 140 from day one. It's a great little 120v welder. I've put many bottles and spools of wire through it and it has never let me down. It has been great for body work, brackets and general repairs, but I wouldn't trust it to build a cage or to penetrate into 1/4" in a single pass. If the 187 is too much power for thin stuff, I'll have to keep the 140. If the 187 works out, the 140 will go up on in the ONSC buy/sell classifieds for a great price.
PM me when you are planning to let it go!

I had my first mini lesson with @GLTHFJ60 on the TIG today. Was an eye opening experience and now I'm officially hooked and can't wait to get some lessons and classes under my belt for both MIG and TIG.

There is some good equipment being sold out of Lancaster School District.

There are deals out there to be had on welding equipment. I just picked this machine up last night and I am super-stoked about it. Found it on FB Marketplace in Albemarle. Looks brand new, but it is several years old. Hobart discontinued the Handler 187 model 10 years ago and replaced it with the 190. From what I can tell, the only difference is that the190 is aluminum capable without a spool gun. The 187 requires a spool gun. According to my research, it's a fine machine and there are many happy 187 owners out there who consider it one of the best for a small shop like mine. PO said that he set this one up and tested it by welding one inch with the included flux core wire and then put it away. I got this machine for $475 including the cart, cover and all the ancillary bits (gas hose and regulator still in box unopened).
IMG_4995[1].JPG

IMG_4996[1].JPG

There are deals out there to be had on welding equipment. I just picked this machine up last night and I am super-stoked about it. Found it on FB Marketplace in Albemarle. Looks brand new, but it is several years old. Hobart discontinued the Handler 187 model 10 years ago and replaced it with the 190. From what I can tell, the only difference is that the190 is aluminum capable without a spool gun. The 187 requires a spool gun. According to my research, it's a fine machine and there are many happy 187 owners out there who consider it one of the best for a small shop like mine. PO said that he set this one up and tested it by welding one inch with the included flux core wire and then put it away. I got this machine for $475 including the cart, cover and all the ancillary bits (gas hose and regulator still in box unopened).
View attachment 2885924
View attachment 2885928
That is a solid deal.

My limitation currently is lack of knowledge on welders. What’s needed, what’s nice to have. What to avoid. Etc. At this point, I may not know a good deal if I came across one lol.

That is a solid deal.

My limitation currently is lack of knowledge on welders. What’s needed, what’s nice to have. What to avoid. Etc. At this point, I may not know a good deal if I came across one lol.

Post up here what you find and we can help assess. You're looking for a 240v mig welder that can do gas. Don't want Flux core only. Heck even the one from harbor freight is a great starter machine. Ryan Niles in the club has had one a long time and he does good work with it.

Post up here what you find and we can help assess. You're looking for a 240v mig welder that can do gas. Don't want Flux core only. Heck even the one from harbor freight is a great starter machine. Ryan Niles in the club has had one a long time and he does good work with it.
Agree in holding out for a 240v/gas setup, not that a lot can't be done with a 120v set up, having the power to work on bigger materials is something I know I would have bumped up against if I'd started with a 120v machine. I'm also sure those with greater knowledge will offer that 90% of the jobs can be done with a 120v machine, for my learning curve, having slower and less precise cup movement skills, practicing on thicker materials helped me refine my skills for thinner materials.

My biggest challenge to date...welding the 316 SS collars to SS kegs for my beer brewing setup. The heavier material of the collar and the very thin of the keg made for some very challenging welds, trying to flow the material from the collar to the thin with a dab of rod while playing with the foot pedal trying to not blow a hole in the keg. Here is my best pic I could find, in an effort to humbly share a functional, not pretty TIG weld using my Miller Dynasty 180 between the 2 that I learned by scaling down from 3/8" plate on my Millermatic 180 240v setup.

If this Neanderthal can pound his way thru using these machines, the great advise you've been given, you'll do well knowing your attention to details and expectations for your own work and performance 😎

IMG_0358.jpeg

I don't want to start a thread clutter statement, but as I understand it the reason for a spool gun is the shorter feed length for the very flexible wire and less risk of feed issues correct?

oh, nice score on the welder btw. That looks like a very clean used machine.

I don't want to start a thread clutter statement, but as I understand it the reason for a spool gun is the shorter feed length for the very flexible wire and less risk of feed issues correct?

Only necessary for aluminum filler wire. A spool gun is not required for any steel filler wire down to at least 0.023

I should have noted that I was referencing Aluminum in my post. It is cool that tiny steel wire still works in "normal" configuration. Thanks for the post @GLTHFJ60

Some of the more expensive mig machines have push pull setups that eliminate the need for a spool gun with aluminum filler wire, but that's above our pay grade for the most part :D

Get the Hobart. I had one for at least 10 years with zero trouble. Mine was setup for gas and ran on 110v. When I upgraded, I gave it to my brother and he still uses it.

You can weld most anything on a 110 machine, you just need to bevel the joint and take multiple passes.

Plenty of advice in this thread already so I'll save my breath. Here is an article I wrote on welding sheetmetal that you might find helpful though.

Plenty of advice in this thread already so I'll save my breath. Here is an article I wrote on welding sheetmetal that you might find helpful though.

Great article with awesome pics and explanation of what you did!

Got to weld for the first time tonight. SPCC has a class that allows you to come in and practice for up to 24 hours a semester. $100 well spent

C8F50903-A2DC-4893-904E-C6B2547D0AAD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom