Best way to learn how to weld? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hokie LX

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

Part of the reason I picked up my new 60 is that I wanted to learn to weld and I knew this truck needed some repair that required welding and I thought it'd be a fun way to learn. I took a quick stick weld class in school as part of a larger shop class and did fine with it but haven't touched a welder since.

For those who weld, what are your thoughts on learning? Worth taking a class at Dtech or Wake Tech? Better to buy a TIG/MIG welder and supplies as well as some metal stock and just start practicing?

I have some larger projects to tackle on the truck such as the roof rust but hoping to start with some smaller projects like some wheel well rust I just found near the rear seat brackets.

IMG_9098.JPG

I'm still pretty green when it comes to welding. My thought is if you have a place where you can take a class and it's not horribly expensive you should go for it. I'm not going to weigh in on what machine to get and all of that because there are way too many variables. I ended up getting a used mig machine and have been slowly putting the pieces of a kit together. I have zero space for any accurate fixturing, and welding at my house takes about $200 in extension cords and a bunch of saw horses.
There are a couple of really good youtube welding channels. I feel like a class gets you the option of pretty quick feedback . in my case, I know a guy who does structural work, so i was texting pictures of welds back and forth with him once to get feedback on porosity and some other issues.

@SFROMAN can probably give some advice on classes.

I picked it up by practice. Get a cheap 240v mig welder that does gas, and just start gluing stuff together.

@SFROMAN can probably give some advice on classes.

I picked it up by practice. Get a cheap 240v mig welder that does gas, and just start gluing stuff together.

I may pick your brain on welders and such at the next monthly meeting.

^ yes, do that.

Also come over to a few local members houses and try out welders and welding helmets before you buy to see what you like.

Oh yes. Having someone give you 1:1 instruction is invaluable.

More than welcome to come to my house to make some hammered dog s*** with me :p

Oh yes. Having someone give you 1:1 instruction is invaluable.

More than welcome to come to my house to make some hammered dog s*** with me :p

Most definitely. I may take you up on that offer. I need to bring the 60 by anyways so you can check it out!

I’m subbed, love the perspective and motivation.

I bought my forty thinking it would be fun “to learn to weld”… my advice, do not try to do this stuff using a crapbox entry level HF 90amp flux core , yes it can be done, but very frustrating…. I finally upgraded to a Lincoln mig and am amazed at what I’ve been missing. Scanned Craigslist for a couple monthes then found a deal and pounced. I like it cause now I can do either sheet metal via mig or heavy work via flux with 220v

Man I would love to take a class but my family/work/life makes that tricky… so I’ve been going to the university of YouTube couch wrenching… and then just pulling the trigger and using the grinder a lot.

My favorite real world channels are:
Fitzee’s Fabrications (no fancy tools)
Mike FN garage (vw guy, very pragmatic)
Redneck Garage (jeep guy… good for paint and body work, not a ton of welding lately)

More bondo and less butt welding:
HackNpackShop <— not very active lately

Sheet metal is tricky on a 60, super thin so practice on the bench before blowing holes in oem metal. I just learned the hard way this week….

Hope this helps, I’m just a dad tinkering in the garage a few times a year, but figured I’d share even though I know I’ve seen some amazing craftsmanship by others in onsc that are much better and more knowledgeable.

Random collection of thoughts on welding:

I've been a firm believer in buying one of the big three welders (Hobart Lincoln Miller) however there are a lot of good brands out there at a lower price point. When learning to weld with an inexpensive machine, it's easy to blame the machine and ignore the bad technique of the user. If you start with a good machine, then you know the problem is you or your setup.

I learned flux core first because I couldn't afford gas. Fortunately through mistakes at Tractor Supply, I was able to pick up a #2 tank C25 gas for really cheap. MIG is so much easier than flux core IMO.

110V gets the job done and requires multiple passes for thick material. 220V is great for armor and little jobs. 110/220V is the best of both allowing simple 110V and portability if necessary. I have a 220V only and love it but it is currently not connected since I don't want to wire in a 220V plug in my garage.

I started out by researching all the gear to purchase (upgraded ground clamp, gloves, jacket, welding pliers, etc) and purchasing everything. I gathered a bunch scrap mild steel, reviewed settings, and just started practicing. Welding is an art form and requires a lot of practice to be good.

My 2 cents...Agree with responses above and Jonathan in investing in one of the big 3, take others up on their offer to come over and get some 1st hand, hands on experience, you have a lot of experience and resources around you to learn from, practice, practice, practice...make welds, then break them, cut them and see how well you did, and...DO NOT make your first project something where a failure could cause catastrophic outcomes.

With that said, it is a great skill to have, be humble, accept critique in order to get better and don't be afraid to ask when things don't seem to be going right, despite feeling like you are doing everything right, start trolling for sale sites now, Santa may have brought someone a new welder and there may be some being on the market after Christmas 😎

Plenty to talk about here. Won’t repeat what most have said but the most important thing I will say is this.

Practicing correctly is very important. Not just practicing. Spending a little more for a helmet will help with better practice.

Below is the one I bought: helmets above this one will be in the pro price range which is about double the price as this one.
Lincoln Electric K3034-4 VIKING 3350 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with 4C Lens Technology, Black

Amazon product ASIN B07V9G94NK
My recommendation would be to get a welder that can handle both 110 and 220 and bump it up to 220 once you advance to structural projects that require a hotter burn.

Get the welder and run it with flux core wire (FCAW) on 110 and practice running stringers

Then after you practice for a while you can buy tanks and buy solid wire ( GMAW) and practice running stringers that way.

We can talk at the next club meeting if you want.

All good points above. I was taught how to stick weld and gas weld with a torch. I taught myself to MIG weld based on what I already knew about welding. I will not teach my new helper to MIG weld. He is going to go to a technical school, most likely in Spartanburg and take welding courses there. Successful completion will mean a raise in pay for him. I am also hoping that he can teach me a thing or two.

I just do not wish to teach him any bad habits I surely have acquired over the years. This is my point, getting help from friends is great, getting instruction from a professional is better. Getting help from both is the best you can expect. Welding is a skill that is honed by doing. Practicing good habit as Del mentioned is paramount.

This is all really good input. Thanks all! Keeping an eye out on the used market before I buy new. Also reading up on differences in welders and what to look for. Definitely want a switchable 110/220V welder and likely looking at MIG to start.

Random collection of thoughts on welding:

I've been a firm believer in buying one of the big three welders (Hobart Lincoln Miller) however there are a lot of good brands out there at a lower price point. When learning to weld with an inexpensive machine, it's easy to blame the machine and ignore the bad technique of the user. If you start with a good machine, then you know the problem is you or your setup.

I learned flux core first because I couldn't afford gas. Fortunately through mistakes at Tractor Supply, I was able to pick up a #2 tank C25 gas for really cheap. MIG is so much easier than flux core IMO.

110V gets the job done and requires multiple passes for thick material. 220V is great for armor and little jobs. 110/220V is the best of both allowing simple 110V and portability if necessary. I have a 220V only and love it but it is currently not connected since I don't want to wire in a 220V plug in my garage.

I started out by researching all the gear to purchase (upgraded ground clamp, gloves, jacket, welding pliers, etc) and purchasing everything. I gathered a bunch scrap mild steel, reviewed settings, and just started practicing. Welding is an art form and requires a lot of practice to be good.

I definitely want to get a solid welder to start. I'm a buy once type of person so wanting to avoid something I would quickly outgrow or one that isn't good quality. I am also looking at the 110/220 switchable units as well.

My 2 cents...Agree with responses above and Jonathan in investing in one of the big 3, take others up on their offer to come over and get some 1st hand, hands on experience, you have a lot of experience and resources around you to learn from, practice, practice, practice...make welds, then break them, cut them and see how well you did, and...DO NOT make your first project something where a failure could cause catastrophic outcomes.

With that said, it is a great skill to have, be humble, accept critique in order to get better and don't be afraid to ask when things don't seem to be going right, despite feeling like you are doing everything right, start trolling for sale sites now, Santa may have brought someone a new welder and there may be some being on the market after Christmas 😎

Let me know when you're ready to let go of said welder!

Plenty to talk about here. Won’t repeat what most have said but the most important thing I will say is this.

Practicing correctly is very important. Not just practicing. Spending a little more for a helmet will help with better practice.

Below is the one I bought: helmets above this one will be in the pro price range which is about double the price as this one.
Lincoln Electric K3034-4 VIKING 3350 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with 4C Lens Technology, Black

Amazon product ASIN B07V9G94NK
My recommendation would be to get a welder that can handle both 110 and 220 and bump it up to 220 once you advance to structural projects that require a hotter burn.

Get the welder and run it with flux core wire (FCAW) on 110 and practice running stringers

Then after you practice for a while you can buy tanks and buy solid wire ( GMAW) and practice running stringers that way.

We can talk at the next club meeting if you want.

This is good inputs Del, thanks! Definitely looking at the switchable 110/220V welders. Will read up on wire differences as well. Johnny was talking about it briefly the other day but I need to read more on that topic.

All good points above. I was taught how to stick weld and gas weld with a torch. I taught myself to MIG weld based on what I already knew about welding. I will not teach my new helper to MIG weld. He is going to go to a technical school, most likely in Spartanburg and take welding courses there. Successful completion will mean a raise in pay for him. I am also hoping that he can teach me a thing or two.

I just do not wish to teach him any bad habits I surely have acquired over the years. This is my point, getting help from friends is great, getting instruction from a professional is better. Getting help from both is the best you can expect. Welding is a skill that is honed by doing. Practicing good habit as Del mentioned is paramount.

This is true! I'd like to take some type of class as well as learn from any experienced guys in the club. There is a wealth of knowledge around here that I'd like to tap into! The only courses I've found thus far are either 4-6 hour 1 time classes focused on welding art or full 18 credit hour semester courses at a local college. I need to keep searching for one that is more up my alley and isn't a full course load.

I’m subbed, love the perspective and motivation.

I bought my forty thinking it would be fun “to learn to weld”… my advice, do not try to do this stuff using a crapbox entry level HF 90amp flux core , yes it can be done, but very frustrating…. I finally upgraded to a Lincoln mig and am amazed at what I’ve been missing. Scanned Craigslist for a couple monthes then found a deal and pounced. I like it cause now I can do either sheet metal via mig or heavy work via flux with 220v

Man I would love to take a class but my family/work/life makes that tricky… so I’ve been going to the university of YouTube couch wrenching… and then just pulling the trigger and using the grinder a lot.

My favorite real world channels are:
Fitzee’s Fabrications (no fancy tools)
Mike FN garage (vw guy, very pragmatic)
Redneck Garage (jeep guy… good for paint and body work, not a ton of welding lately)

More bondo and less butt welding:
HackNpackShop <— not very active lately

Sheet metal is tricky on a 60, super thin so practice on the bench before blowing holes in oem metal. I just learned the hard way this week….

Hope this helps, I’m just a dad tinkering in the garage a few times a year, but figured I’d share even though I know I’ve seen some amazing craftsmanship by others in onsc that are much better and more knowledgeable.
Thanks for the channel suggestions. I'll look into those.

Wise strategy and humility here, Stan. Practice really is the key. I found after I hadn't welded in a few years I was TERRIBLE. Took much less time to "get it back" but I've never been a great welder. Many moons ago I just bought a Lincoln 220 and went at it. My biggest challenge / mistake was trying to learn on sheetmetal (rust repair) on my 40. Just good enough to stick some steel together. I also learned that stainless on MIG without special gas will REALLY humble you if you are feeling a little cocky at any point :D

I am going to wake tech south campus to get an associates of science specializing in welding. you do not need to take any other class except welding. But they fill up real fast.
Night classes is what I did last semester but you can find whatever fits your schedule.

Example of what my schedule looked like last semester
Monday 6pm 8 pm shop time course 1
Tuesday/ Wednesday 6pm 10pm shop time course 2
The classroom portion is all online on blackboard.

Honestly, you already have a degree and only want to learn and practice. So if you didn’t want to, you would not even have to do the online homework or tests. As long as you don’t miss then they can’t kick you out of the course.

A guy my age that wants to get into building mountain bike frames was doing just that this last semester. He already has a job and only wanted the practice time in the shop.

Del, I did similar to what you mention about the guy with bike frames in my early 20s. Bucks County Community College had a great fine woodworking program with a killer shop. I went two semesters and got checked out on all the machines then went two more semesters building my own projects in the shop There were weeks I put 30 hours in at the shop. Several of us were allowed to do this and we agreed to step in and help the new students when asked. It was a great situation in which to learn new skills and hone those you already had. Sounds like the place you are might be similar, cool indeed. :)

I am going to wake tech south campus to get an associates of science specializing in welding. you do not need to take any other class except welding. But they fill up real fast.
Night classes is what I did last semester but you can find whatever fits your schedule.

Example of what my schedule looked like last semester
Monday 6pm 8 pm shop time course 1
Tuesday/ Wednesday 6pm 10pm shop time course 2
The classroom portion is all online on blackboard.

Honestly, you already have a degree and only want to learn and practice. So if you didn’t want to, you would not even have to do the online homework or tests. As long as you don’t miss then they can’t kick you out of the course.

A guy my age that wants to get into building mountain bike frames was doing just that this last semester. He already has a job and only wanted the practice time in the shop.

Sounds like I need to look more into the class offerings. Maybe the ones I am looking for were just already full. Thanks!

As to classes; In my area, there are a couple of schools that have evening welding as "adult education" style, or you could enter a full-on credited "certification" program.
there is also a private shop that offers classes out here in Mig or Tig and 1 day "build a _____" style. I took a group "intro to mig" class, then stumbled on a used Hobart handler 210 mig machine. (the parts inside it almost all say Miller on them). My next upgrade will be a helmet with a wider field of view.

As to classes; In my area, there are a couple of schools that have evening welding as "adult education" style, or you could enter a full-on credited "certification" program.
there is also a private shop that offers classes out here in Mig or Tig and 1 day "build a _____" style. I took a group "intro to mig" class, then stumbled on a used Hobart handler 210 mig machine. (the parts inside it almost all say Miller on them). My next upgrade will be a helmet with a wider field of view.

A shop offering classes would be nice but haven't been able to find any of those. I did find Wake Tech's welding class list but not sure how that would work with me only wanting to take a couple. Need to dig into it more and likely email someone at the school.

I was looking at a Hobart as a welder option in my preliminary searches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom