Best way to fix leak in tranny pan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had a tranny fluid leak for a while and finally got under there and cleaned everything up last night so I could watch it.

This morning (Cruiser was not run and did not move) the leak was back and seems to be concentrated at one of the skid plate mounts. I beleive that it is possible that the welds where the tabs hold the captive nuts for the skid plate may be cracked and in turn - cracked the pan...

Short of removing the pan and having it welded or brazed, what can I do? Will RTV smeared across the area hold it temporarily? Should I grind the paint away and put some JB Weld on it (also good for attaching sliders, I've heard :))

Any thoughts or should I just suck it up and drop the pan?

Eric

use this as a temp fix. Worked for me when I had a leak on my front diff.

5zis5x

One vote for suck it up and drop the pan. It can get expensive when things like that aren't lubricated...

Charlie

you have a skid plate mounted to the transmission pan? :confused:, does not sound very sturdy.

got a picture?

RavenTai said:
you have a skid plate mounted to the transmission pan? :confused:, does not sound very sturdy.

You don't???

Looks like factory to me - has 4 U-shaped brackets welded to the pan with captive nuts in them. There is a slotted 'skid plate' that attaches to them. I took it off last night when I cleaned everything up - I'll see if I can get a photo of the mounting brackets on the pan...

Maybe this is another thing that is unique to the 91-92 models?

Eric

Thing is...

I already dropped the pan when I first got the truck and did all the PM on it. I replaced the screen in there and would like to not have to get in there again (well - I will sooner or later to fix this, but would like to put it off some).

And yes - I am positive that it is not leaking from me having it off! :)

Eric

Eric_FJ40 said:
You don't???

Maybe this is another thing that is unique to the 91-92 models?

Eric

nope none on the 96, only skid plates I have are on the fuel tank, under the radiator and the transfer case,

Here is the offending leak.

Best I can think of is that the skid plate took a hit and the force might have broken the weld and compromised the pan.

Probably would never have happened without the "skid plate"...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom