Best Upgrades for Under $100 (200-Series) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gempro LED License Plate Light modules:
Amazon product ASIN B07GV9PD6L
IMG_5378.JPG

img_5313-jpg.3275264

IMG_5379.jpg

STEDI Australian version (maybe higher quality): LED License plate light to Suit Toyota Landcruiser Models (B) - https://www.stedi.com.au/led-license-plate-light-to-suit-landcruiser-100-120-200-series.html

These full housing replacement modules are plug and play and are much brighter and crisper than simply replacing the bulbs with LED bulbs. My LED bulbs started flickering after a couple years, so I switched to these and they are noticeably better. Look OEM too.

Amazon product ASIN B07GV9PD6LView attachment 3285152
img_5313-jpg.3275264

View attachment 3285153

STEDI Australian version (maybe higher quality): LED License plate light to Suit Toyota Landcruiser Models (B) - https://www.stedi.com.au/led-license-plate-light-to-suit-landcruiser-100-120-200-series.html

These full housing replacement modules are plug and play and are much brighter and crisper than simply replacing the bulbs with LED bulbs. My LED bulbs started flickering after a couple years, so I switched to these and they are noticeably better. Look OEM too.

I am interested in these, curious how long they will last. Were the factory lights held in with any double sided tape?

I am interested in these, curious how long they will last. Were the factory lights held in with any double sided tape?
No tape, just slide the assembly over to the side (can't remember which direction) and it'll compress a tab that allows the other side to swing out and down. To determine direction.. it'll move one way but won't move the other. Then pull down.

No tape, just slide the assembly over to the side (can't remember which direction) and it'll compress a tab that allows the other side to swing out and down. To determine direction.. it'll move one way but won't move the other. Then pull down.

Do you recommend these $17 amazon knock-offs or the $70 Stedi model?

I'm pretty against knock-off anything on my rig, especially when it plugs into a wiring harness. That said $70 is pretty steep to light up a license plate.. and the angle of these isn't great for real illumination when backing. Plus, I don't think I'd want a ridiculous amount of light on the plate.. my rig is white, I could easily see way too much light there playing a part in blinding people behind me.

I went with sylvania LED bulbs that popped into the factory housing and made the lamp color acceptable at least, then installed rear bumper reflectors with small rigid floods wired into the reverse light circuit.

Wouldn't say they're really knockoffs, both seem to be very similar (different power ratings though) and I wouldn't be surprised if they are even made in the same factory in China. I believe after the conversion rate and shipping, the STEDI comes out to about $40-50 shipped. I got the Gempro because of the lower price and easy Amazon returns. If these ever go out I would go for the STEDI, just in the off chance that they are significantly better quality.

I like the extra brightness, acts almost like a mild scene light for the rear end, and looks nice and crisp on the road at night. I've swapped my reverse lights for Auxito LED bulbs as well.

Wouldn't say they're really knockoffs, both seem to be very similar (different power ratings though) and I wouldn't be surprised if they are even made in the same factory in China. I believe after the conversion rate and shipping, the STEDI comes out to about $40-50 shipped. I got the Gempro because of the lower price and easy Amazon returns. If these ever go out I would go for the STEDI, just in the off chance that they are significantly better quality.

I like the extra brightness, acts almost like a mild scene light for the rear end, and looks nice and crisp on the road at night. I've swapped my reverse lights for Auxito LED bulbs as well.

With the conversion rate shipped to me here in Texas it was $70.00 AUD for DHL, that's $46.75 USD for shipping alone, $39.99 AUD for the lights which converts to $26.71 USD for a grand total of $73.46, crazy.

I don't have one of these but thought it looked interesting. Comes in various sizes.

I knew I saw that somewhere before.
8F2C71EE-E49F-43C3-90F4-3B1BF15DFDB6_4_5005_c.jpeg

The Gemini phone mount doesn’t have a power source. It’s just a perfectly designed mount. I plug the phone into the lighter with the car charger.
FWIW I hated the Gemini phone mount. Didn't like how it sat in my car at all, there is no power source plug-in so you have to connect your phone manually every time, the cord wrap is an either/or accessory which wasn't clear on the website. The installation was easy but the removal left the butterfly clamp behind the dash AND the installation left small but visible marks on my panel once removed. All in all I'd give this a 1 out of 5. The only good news is that the company is excellent at returns but I really wish I had never bought it in the first place and wish twice as hard that I hadn't installed it.

Amazon product ASIN B07GV9PD6LView attachment 3285152
img_5313-jpg.3275264

View attachment 3285153

Just installed the stedi lights. Great quick mod. Amazon products always worry me with longevity. Sometimes it works out. Other times you replace and it costs more in the end.

With the conversion rate shipped to me here in Texas it was $70.00 AUD for DHL, that's $46.75 USD for shipping alone, $39.99 AUD for the lights which converts to $26.71 USD for a grand total of $73.46, crazy.
In WA it is $30.91 AUD to ship for a converted total of just under $46. Lights are showing $36.35 AUD for me. I would not be surprised if the Stedi lights are the same thing. They look pretty much the same.

The Amazon version has a lot of people complaining that they crap out quickly, are not weatherproof, etc. Seems like poor quality control. I'd recommend trying to seal some of the areas on the back well before installing as I suspect moisture intrusion is causing problems.

I'll stick with the OEMs based on the reviews.

I will eventually make thred with details and tricks, but I installed the dash mount widget on the 2008. Very solid. Qualifies as sub-$100 due to second-hand purchase of pre-production iteration from fellow MUDer. This is pre-wired for two USB ports, with rough-in for two more, as well as aux connection, which will be mated to aux port at center console later.

1680658844087.png

Great suggestions for better functionality. TIA!

This

This

Third row delete (free)
Cargo matt to cover 3rd row delete - <$100
LED lighting - ~$25

Not sure if I have posted this in this thread but I have been using this VENT mount for my iPhone 14 Pro via MagSafe for past year or so. My family and I just went on a 2500 miles trip in HOT weather. Never had issue with cold air to driver.

BONUS: this mount is great also because it cools my iPhone off while driving because it allows airflow to the back of phone! My phone was cool to touch despite constant navigation and sun hitting it.

Amazon product ASIN B098NJXXMD
1686519481304.png

1686519497311.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom