best place to get a propane kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Be patient and watch Craigslist.

I bought my V8 setup off a guy that never used it and fizzled out on a project. A 425 with all the goodies and two Brand New 10 gal forklift tanks and a few extra hoses and a few used extra parts for $500.

I have enough parts to assemble another kit if I just find another regulator and throttle plate.

I will sell the extra kit for $400 to recoop most of my costs.

I also have local forklift wrecking yard that sells tanks for 60-80 each and all kinds of cheap parts.

Look for places like that. Or buy new and pay big and hope it all goes good.

I have the "got propane" kit for my 40.

Cary is awesome to deal with but it is not bolt on. You need to machine the adapter to fit the weber adapter and you need to build your throttle setup.

I'll get some pics up.

I ran into the same problem got mine from "got propane" never looked back. Cary was great on info very complete kit , and been running it for 4-5 years no problems, sold the weber to offset some cost and used the base of a aisan. HTH

I'd recommend using the stock carb base plate.

You don't need to machine any adapters, Cary sells the single barrel base plate that has the holley two barrel bolt pattern. Go find someone that has an old holley adapter for a F/2F motor and everything bolts right into place. Only thing you will need to convert is the mechanical linkage to a cable set up.

You don't need to machine any adapters, Cary sells the single barrel base plate that has the holley two barrel bolt pattern. Go find someone that has an old holley adapter for a F/2F motor and everything bolts right into place. Only thing you will need to convert is the mechanical linkage to a cable set up.

Well, I didn't have my stock carb and I didn't search for a Holley adapter.

If you are running a weber the quickest approach is the propane carb and base with the holes ovaled out to fit the weber plate.

My 40 runs awesome, Cary is great to deal with. The biggest issue was the cable linkage.

Propane Conversion Kits

Wow, I want a kit! Been thinking about going propane and read everything on this site, very convincing and not a bad price :D

Propane Conversion Kits

Wow, I want a kit! Been thinking about going propane and read everything on this site, very convincing and not a bad price :D

Some things to keep in mind.

Some areas do not refill propane, they exchange tanks. I frequent Moab and you cannot turn around without finding a refill center.

My 2F will run on one tank (standard forklift, about 6 gallons of propane) for about 11 hours, but I don't idle constantly. 11 hours will not get you back to town though, so buy an extra bracket kit.

Refill a tank after every run, yeah, it isn't as easy as gasoline, but it is also easy to remove and store, especially if you need to weld on your rig, 45 seconds and the explosive liquid is safely out of the way.

Tune it, propane will take some of your top end, I did not notice a loss of torque down low but a little up top until the timing was advanced.

DO NOT over tighten the fitting (brass) that goes into the vaporizer, I cracked my base (Cary was awesome to deal with).

Enjoy it, you won't spill gas on the trail, it only gives off carbon monoxide and if tuned properly, you won't smell the additive that keeps you from killing yourself.

Cold starts suck, warm starts are like EFI.

People will tell you that you are going to explode. The Aussies have been running propane for decades and so far, they seem more than willing to ban scary things but have not banned propane yet.

Dan

I like my propane, I run 2 of the small 8 gallon tanks (33lbs or something vs the 10 gal 45 pounders or whatever) and they will go like said above 11-12 hours of run time and I tend to floor my s*** around a turn on dirt in 2wd . i have the stock 2F desmogged and with a header.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom