Best Paint for Metal Benches, Shop Carts, Hand Trucks Etc.? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Single or multilayer--what takes a beating, lasts forever and is easy to clean?

Real Hammerite (as opposed to other brands' "hammered") paint: Home - https://www.hammerite.com/
Thanks. Remarkably little info on their website. They talk about direct to iron and steel, but don't list a non-interior product for non-rusted iron or steel, and don't list the US among their countries, even though it's available on Amazon.

What's your experience been?

It's a great, tough, durable, "industrial" coating. I've used it on a number of things in my shop. Best options I've found are to spray it or use a short nap solvent resistant roller. Brushing hasn't produced good results for me. You want your passes in one direction only to get a good pattern on it, otherwise you get stripes and patterns.

Hammerite.jpg

It's a great, tough, durable, "industrial" coating. I've used it on a number of things in my shop. Best options I've found are to spray it or use a short nap solvent resistant roller. Brushing hasn't produced good results for me. You want your passes in one direction only to get a good pattern on it, otherwise you get stripes and patterns.

View attachment 3317098
Only spray cans I find are 'Rust Cap,' or are you putting it in a sprayer? Not to be picky--but to be picky--that looks like it has a zillion little pockets to trap oil etc., and would never wipe clean(?)

I'm putting it in a sprayer. The finish is actually smooth - just slightly dimpled. Sort of like it's been peened - hence "hammer." Most of the texture is actually in the color variation. There is no roughness to it. You can easily wipe it clean. Think early to mid-century (last century) tools and equipment.

hammered.jpg

Hmmm I love the old hammered copper stuff; gotta have patina, though. I might try this out; thanks for the tip! You're using direct-to-metal, not 'rust cap?' Any issues/best habits spraying it? Thanks again...

Yep, the direct-to-metal. If you're spraying, you need to use their thinner: Brush Cleaner & Thinner - https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/brush-cleaner-thinner/

As I mentioned, you want to spray in one direction - as in, start off to the left of the object, spray left to right, finish off to the right of the object, stop, move back to the left of the object, repeat. Back and forth and you'll get stripes. Same with rolling or brushing. Figure out ahead of time what direction makes the most sense. Something vertical you probably want to spray top to bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom