Best offroad/onroad communication (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been searching for a reliable source of communication while out in the woods. What do you guys prefer to use? I am looking into HAM radio. But I have also heard a lot of good things about GMRS which is what I currently use but on a lower scale. I am in NC and I am looking into joining some clubs with my 80. Thanks guys!

I use GMRS. I have a Midland set up in each of my vehicles. Really easy to set up and install. I can typically get a mile and up to 5 miles of range if the conditions are right with a 3db gain antenna.

I like the HAM for trail comms and I use an inreach to communicate with home or wherever. The Inreach can text, send SOS, and track/gps, it is 14 bucks a month and you can stop start. Its 25 bucks when you restart so I activate it for 4 or 5 months every year. Its really nice to be able to order extra food, booze, parts, get help, etc..... Its just like your phone, once you text someone it keeps the thread and that person can track you & text back. FWIW the satellite connection on the Inreach is 1000x better than the super expensive iridium phone I had for a decade. The other nice feature of the Inreach is that once you send a text, if there is no sat signal the unit will keep trying until sent then notify via a beep series that the text is sent so you hear it and know when there is outgoing or incoming data.

There are a number of threads in the communication section around CB, GMRS, and Ham. All serve their purposes depending on what you are after. I recommend going with whatever people you need to talk to are using. I have both a Ham and GMRS license, mostly because half my friends use each. The threshold to GMRS to enter is so low I would start there, $35 for 10 years, no test, and covers your entire family. Range is limited compared to Ham, but might be a gateway into that down the road.

I’ve got a boafeng w a fold out 18” antenna. During the most recent hurricane I was able to clearly communicate w a friend 1.5 miles away (through trees, houses, etc)

I like the HAM for trail comms and I use an inreach to communicate with home or wherever. The Inreach can text, send SOS, and track/gps, it is 14 bucks a month and you can stop start. Its 25 bucks when you restart so I activate it for 4 or 5 months every year. Its really nice to be able to order extra food, booze, parts, get help, etc..... Its just like your phone, once you text someone it keeps the thread and that person can track you & text back. FWIW the satellite connection on the Inreach is 1000x better than the super expensive iridium phone I had for a decade. The other nice feature of the Inreach is that once you send a text, if there is no sat signal the unit will keep trying until sent then notify via a beep series that the text is sent so you hear it and know when there is outgoing or incoming data.
I have the Spot X which is basically neck and neck with the Inreach. I bought it after getting lost hiking once and realised when things go south I need a fail safe.

Exactly the same deal with the Spot X, monthly membership and msg capabilities. I went for the Spot X because its an entirely self contained unit. I didnt need a phone to type a msg.

The inreach is the same, no phone nec.. I will admit that the key entry is a PITA and I am too lazy to set pre typed messages.
My wife can see our progress on the trail and knows where we are via the tracking function. The battery life is another good feature it lasts like 3 days on a charge.

I use GMRS. I have a Midland set up in each of my vehicles. Really easy to set up and install. I can typically get a mile and up to 5 miles of range if the conditions are right with a 3db gain antenna.
do you use the mxt275?

The inreach is the same, no phone nec.. I will admit that the key entry is a PITA and I am too lazy to set pre typed messages.
My wife can see our progress on the trail and knows where we are via the tracking function. The battery life is another good feature it lasts like 3 days on a charge.
Have you heard of the "Earthmate" app for your phone? It works by Bluetooth between the InReach and your phone. You use your phone as the keyboard and message screen for your InReach. Makes the InReach not such a PITA to use.

Yeah, did that, but found that when using inreach phone was put away and really the phone would get trashed if I had it camping, too much in/out of river, hikikng around in forest, not the environment for phone, IMO.

I just installed the midland mxt275 gmrs radio in my 80. So far so good. Getting about 4-5 miles of range with trees and stuff blocking the signal. Wanting to get an upgraded antenna. They put out 15 watts so I think that's decent. I bought a baofeng HAM radio and it is over my head. Not ready to move into ham yet.

Yes, I have the MXT275 in my Subaru, and an MXT400 in my GX. I definitely prefer the size and ease of use of the 275, even if its less powerful.
Do you get better range with the mxt400? so far I am happy with the 275

For trail use, GMRS is the way to go. If you get a HAM license, you'll be the only one. GMRS is great because people can basically pick it up and go with almost no knowlege of how a radio works.

More wattage on a UHF radio(GMRS) will not increase your reach. It's all based on line of sight. So the higher up you can get(taller antenna) the better.

I use a 20 watt Btech mobile with a roof rack mounted Midland stealth antenna. It's worked out flawlessly.

I've considered adding a 2m/70cm HAM setup, but again, I'd be the only one out there with it and it would really only be for hobby use.

Great info. Thanks man. I have the midland mxt275 now. And I love it. Also bought some cheap hams (baofeng) but it’s way over my head. I’m going to stick with gmrs for a while

I would echo the idea that ham vs GMRS really comes down to who you want to talk to. Some clubs use ham. Some use GMRS.

And a note on the mxt275 - I would recommend the 400 if you can swing a little more cash. It supports wideband whereas the 275 is narrowband only and may limit your interoperability with other radios.

I would echo the idea that ham vs GMRS really comes down to who you want to talk to. Some clubs use ham. Some use GMRS.

And a note on the mxt275 - I would recommend the 400 if you can swing a little more cash. It supports wideband whereas the 275 is narrowband only and may limit your interoperability with other radios.
I also 2nd this advice regarding having wideband with your GMRS. Major league difference transmitting with wideband vs narrowband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom