Best Mods under $50... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What it's holding sure wasn't cheap, but the iPod holder I screwed onto my Tuffy center console sure is handy (no I don't use headphones with it. I picked up an FM transmitter that's great for the FJ62 thanks to the retractable antenna being shielded from outside interference by the fender). Holds my cell phone too :D

Jim_Phillips said:
Two of my best have been a reversing sensor ($30) and outside temperature sensor ($30)

Where'd you mount the temp sensor? My dad's Heep has one that seems to be pretty accurate, but neither of us can figure out where the hell it's mounted to keep from getting a false reading from vehicle heat and wind from driving.

Spook50 said:
Where'd you mount the temp sensor? My dad's Heep has one that seems to be pretty accurate, but neither of us can figure out where the hell it's mounted to keep from getting a false reading from vehicle heat and wind from driving.

I have a radioshack temp sensor in my 60. Works great. I've checked the temp against lots of other temp guages, and it's really accurate. I have the sensor mounted on the front valence, below the grill, above the bumper, on the passenger side. If stopped, it picks up heat from the engine. While moving it accurately reads air temp. While moving, as far as I can tell, air temp overwhelms any effect from the sun. Stationary, engine off, facing the sun is very different from in the shadows (just like any temp guage).

I just bought this whole set for $50 from some guy on another forum

48" Hi-jack (like new)
Great looking storage box
New Tow rope
New hold down straps
Tire Iron
and other little odds and ends.

I just fixed the power window lock switch, the little one that pops out. I got a $4.95 illuminated switch, cut the old one out and wired in the new one. The new switch provived enough light to find the window switches with out effort.

Another one I can add: Installing red lights in the instrument custer. It looks MUCH better (to me anyhoo) at night, and is much easier on the eyes. Takes a little getting used to after having had the green lights for so long, but I love 'em.
www.topbulb.com carries them, part #194R. I bought ten since they're cheap and it leaves me with spares.

polishX...did you install the extended shackles for extra lift to fix sag? do you need to do anyhting else when you intall them??
hammer

keyless entry power locks

I installed power locks with remote entry, the unit costed me 45 dollars with shipping on ebay. So far they work great. Its so nice not to have to check that my bone head friends locked my truck. The install was simple but took like 3 hrs.

Noah said:
humm, that is interesting...
How hard are they to change out??

You asking about the bulbs? Piece of cake. The only difficulty is removing the dash itself (and then reattaching the speedo cable to the speedo, but I've got a trick that makes that a LOT easier). If you've got a steering wheel puller, that's a big help since you've got to carefully maneuver the dash around the wheel to get it out.

Fourrunner said:
You can make a steering wheel puller really easily. Take a scrap piece of bar stock, cut it to about 3" or so and drill two through holes to fit the threads in the steering wheel then drill and thread a hole between the two outside holes. Took me about 5-10 minutes. I try to make as many tools as I can.

Aahhhh, but you must have the tools to make those tools :D

I don't :eek:

Been lurking the board for a while now and finally, just couldn't restrain myself any longer.
These "mods" may offend some purists out there, but they have saved me tons of $$ and trouble:

behind right front quarter panel, I store 3 qts of oil, PS/ATF fluid, and two liters of prestone premix. I keep it from banging around with wadded up newspaper- double as hasty shoptowels, but also helps wick out any moisture *free* (except for the fluids, of course ;) )

behind left front QP, in zipper freezer bags, also padded with NP are two spare fuel filters, dist cap and rotor, pcv valve and several feet of various sizeneliem (siis, on4"1/5/, ")16al "soeefr
"
n
ioltoox bI , veha b a oox10f .2X1th5 adre30 () mmltbo@ s .910ra g, dethwioc lwak ershors iniglyalur pasch fed mormoy rctoe.ylAf r te Amy c/cpromsoesbrr e okosloone afe rnten,oond a " Iciacntdelyalha" thd hae ward orehan tndfio itx I , arstd tetinongcind aro pblba75y of% he tig bar hardwone y m i6010s .2X1--5 emse tedmao skeseeno tckpaom sspe esar a. utbo5. $
00JB
el w d.e Onckpaf o qJBckuion, ofe ri onagi fl, worn heu'yo gve tote im wtot,aind aon d w'tt an *toerevha* tvefio itx ga a. inre g satfftu $. 008.or fot binh ou ykir t. wItl ilt geu yomeho
to
Sedpphe tea link y mwePostr riee pngp umthwihe ttu s--ffknI , owinru iedfot a r bured,ilut bf ineI r vevehao tbured il, it wsot?ha$4 0 .0r foe thx fi. vshuX renddod arllfos a r w/neburet il Oor pEMp.umyo dou he tat m h.

seI ndcohe tea hsot/dpunofrog-inbo a $ut a40lot s/wemehoep d wotl ilt geu yoatwhou yee n Ad.o,lspr s oayunn rcdetioa wngksorel winl desihe too d (rs cbeefar!)uld anhibe rndr eaimtran ps el dtop ambrviioat ans nndseoi . ls(agro t eaorste ageaarbas tckrehebt, $w)105- c a.
an
C
plouofe RE M f'sm romia tali sryplur susretost, feufbed ndhiig r rhtr eaimtran p, elonalwig athou ce pl boftlot oeswaf r.teke s ep mupalorhe wbrn enokn ickbaou cryntit wthh wie . feoh:d
: On
use aedsiuslee sfte idrrmi. orak mtoe ngwiuc msah r/fesiea. erouab$5t 000.bu, wot h rt.
it
T
nkhafos a r eagrtht adreuy g s.rrsosoy on lwig ednd..

Ugh, MREs, gyarg...

I ended up living off those things in the desert because the chow hall sucked. I do like the beef stew and the turkey ones, but all the others are NAAA-STAY!

Though I smuggled a bunch home and still carry a couple in my rig too, just in case I (or someone else) end up stranded and need something to eat...

1. mmm lincon lock...... im doing this next week for heep safari(i wouldnt weld it but i have an arb waiting for when i get back, just dont have time to installe it or money for compressor)
2. if you are like me and dont care about handling and just want to crawl, then get rid of the sway bars, plus mine broke anyway(dont care what any one says, HUGE improvement, but scary on the road)
3. if you haul stuff take out the rear carpet(60/2) and rinoline the back
4. i have not done the above, because i value the comfort of the carpet for sleeping on, but what i do plan on doing is taking out the carpet, laying down a thin pad the putting the carpet back so it will be softer
5. jeep recovery unit sticker
worst mod under 50
remote starter, pointless, dont buy it, sooo not worth it

vorteced62 said:
...worst mod under 50
remote starter, pointless, dont buy it, sooo not worth it

Why you no likey?

Jim_Phillips said:
Goto the local car wash. Costs very little and the car looks all clean and shiny afterwards. Worth paying for if it hasn't rained in a few weeks (unlikely in UK) and washed all the mud off...
i do it every week or two so it doesn't take much time to make her look pretty (and i think she drives better afterwards.)

KLF said:
Another freebie: attach a small chunk of carpeting to the steering column just below the ignition, no more noise from the keys jangling against it.
Key_Fix.jpg
even easier if instead of carpet you use the self-stick felt pads that are meant for putting on furniture to protect hardwood floors ;)

HA - was just going to ask this same question... Great Idea, the constant "clinging" sound drives me nuts... :eek:

rubber spray

cheap 4.13 cans of rubberized undercaoting from walmart , the stuff in the red and white cans ... since I have no carpetting this stuff works wonders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom