Best Mods under $50... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Yall,

SOR Dash Mat to keep it from cracking.
Factory OEM Cargo Net from a 100.

Hi intensity dash bulbs with condoms (don't want those bulbs
catching any STD's now do ya.
Rubber Hose cut in half and installed on the rear seat
clamps so they don't rattle.
Sunglass Clamps on the sunvisors.

cargonet.jpg

Newer Driver Seat...FREE!

If your driver seat is worn, take a look at your passenger seat and swap'em(If it's good). Just remove the brackets, switch to opposite side, and remove the cupholder.

Best part for this mod....................FREE!!!

grrlscout89FJ62 said:
I've been looking for some sort of cargo liner to go atop my carpet, since it's in good shape, and I wanna keep it that way. The molded ones are $$$. I want something like my mud mats, with deep grooves, to catch all the mud and creek water that comes off the dogs.

No luck so far.

BUT, I did check out some pads / mats they sell at wal-mart that go under your weight bench or treadmill. Sounds like they might be a good candidate for going under your carpet. The interlocking foam squares are $18, and the roll-up pad is $25. I forget the dimensions.

And for those looking for something to top their air mattresses ... we just bought a Columbia double sleeping bag, and found that the bottom has elastic grips that go around an air mattress. Neato!

Got it from Campmor for about $80. Don't know how that compares to SOR. Just saw this one at STP for $30 too:

78084_09

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.78084/dept_id.L2~319/qx/product.htm

For a mat for the rear I got a high lux pickup bed mat and cut it to fit in the back of my 60. Very thick heavy mat, up here in OR GI JOES had them for about $50. They let me take them out to the rig to see which one fit best. Some year models fit the wheel wells better than others..I dunno witch I got? I cut mine to keep the rear seat up. lefft a big lip so when the seat is down it covers the "hinge" and part of the seat back. I just didn't want the material folded up in the back..Seat is up most of the time. I saved the extra and have used it several times on other projects. Can still use it to cover the rear seat back when down.

grrlscout89FJ62 said:
I've been looking for some sort of cargo liner to go atop my carpet, since it's in good shape, and I wanna keep it that way. The molded ones are $$$. I want something like my mud mats, with deep grooves, to catch all the mud and creek water that comes off the dogs.

No luck so far.

BUT, I did check out some pads / mats they sell at wal-mart that go under your weight bench or treadmill. Sounds like they might be a good candidate for going under your carpet. The interlocking foam squares are $18, and the roll-up pad is $25. I forget the dimensions.

And for those looking for something to top their air mattresses ... we just bought a Columbia double sleeping bag, and found that the bottom has elastic grips that go around an air mattress. Neato!

Got it from Campmor for about $80. Don't know how that compares to SOR. Just saw this one at STP for $30 too:

78084_09

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.78084/dept_id.L2~319/qx/product.htm

Plan on doing to the 60 what I did to the 80. Removed all seats and carpets in the whole interior, actually pretty easy. Then used horse hair carpet pad that I cut pieces to fit throughout. Used just a little bit of contact cement in the corners to hold down and made sure all holes and latches would be accessible after the carpets were reinstalled. MUCH quieter ride now and very comfortable for laying down. Not sure how much the pad cost, for me it was free. It was scrap leftover that my father gave me, he owns a floor coverings business:) Will be doing to the 60 soon.

calphi27 said:
If your driver seat is worn, take a look at your passenger seat and swap'em(If it's good). Just remove the brackets, switch to opposite side, and remove the cupholder.

Best part for this mod....................FREE!!!

i tried doing this but i appeared to me that the brackets were riveted or something like it to the seat bottom

lunyou

Brackets will switch for sure. I did it too. You will have the seatback adjust on the right side instead of the left unless someone has some ideas on switching that too.

On the front seat swap, I just swapped the bottom cushion to the driver's side, and repaired the split seam on the driver's side cushion, and installed it on the passenger side. Avoids the seat lever reversal problem.

M

OEM "Oh Sh!t" handle for the dash. $40 bucks from Australia including shipping. Repainted, replaced the leather wrap. Looks trick and my girls dig it. I also had to make little backing plates since the USA spec dash doesn't have any reinforcement for the handle.

I don't think anyone has mentioned a steering wheel wrap. Real leather is really cool, but even a fake leather one is way better than the hard plastic wheel.

Also, ripping out the carpet in the rear compartment and coating with Durabak, Rhinoliner, or whatever is a good mod if you haul stuff much, especiall greasy, oily stuff like cruiser parts.

Mountain Goat said:
OEM "Oh Sh!t" handle for the dash. $40 bucks from Australia including shipping. Repainted, replaced the leather wrap. Looks trick and my girls dig it. I also had to make little backing plates since the USA spec dash doesn't have any reinforcement for the handle.

Is that for the 40 or for the 60? I thought all US spec 60s and 62s had them standard. I know my US spec 62 has it and the reinforcements in the dash and I'm pretty sure it was factory.

hmmm yeah i was about to say something about that, mine came with a oh s*** bar/ gf hand rail. on my 62 that is...

Yeah, the US spec '60s don't have any of the cool stuff. I was finally able to fill the hole in the dash too. That's for a clock/inclinometer, also from Australia. More spendy though.

i don't know if you're losing it or not. ;p but i remember it being stickied too.

Headlight Warning Buzzer!!!!!

I did it again!! I left my lights on after driving through a daylight headlight section of road. When I got back to the car the battery was DEAD.
I charged it up overnight and then drove to Radio Shack, I purchased a Mini 12v buzzer (Part# 273000055)(NEW PART # 2730059). This is a very small less than 1 in (2.5 cm) box with two wires (black and red) coming out of it. My '82 has the old type glass fuses. '83 and later have the blade type (I believe).

Pulled the headlight (left) fuse and pushed it back in with the red wire between the fuse and the holder. Then I took out the Gauge fuse and did the same with the black wire.

Now if the ignition is in the ON or Acc. position and the headlights are on there is no buzzer. However, if you turn the ignition to OFF and the headlights are on you get a 75 db buzzer telling you to TURN OFF THE LIGHTS!!!!!

The cost of the buzzer is a whopping $3.29. They have fancy 2 tone buzzers and chimes if you want to spend between $6.00 and $9.00.

This is a super easy mod that will save you a lot of agrivation.

Dynosoar
buzzer.JPG

Last edited:
Dynosoar said:
I did it again!! I left my lights on after driving through a daylight headlight section of road. When I got back to the car the battery was DEAD.
I charged it up overnight and then drove to Radio Shack, I purchased a Mini 12v buzzer (Part# 273000055). This is a very small less than 1 in (2.5 cm) box with two wires (black and red) coming out of it. My '82 has the old type glass fuses. '83 and later have the blade type (I believe).

Pulled the headlight (left) fuse and pushed it back in with the red wire between the fuse and the holder. Then I took out the Gauge fuse and did the same with the black wire.

Now if the ignition is in the ON or Acc. position and the headlights are on there is no buzzer. However, if you turn the ignition to OFF and the headlights are on you get a 75 db buzzer telling you to TURN OFF THE LIGHTS!!!!!

The cost of the buzzer is a whopping $3.29. The have fancy 2 tone buzzers and chimes if you want to spend between $6.00 and $9.00.

This is a super easy mod that will save you a lot of agrivation.

Dynosoar

Thanks. That is a great mod!!

Bob

i made my own dash bar . , I love it .. out of free stainless steel at the shop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom