Best Hydraulic Shock for Daily Driver 74' FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (hometown Nashville)
Good afternoon - Any FJ40er's here who use their cruiser mostly as a daily driver and using hydraulic shocks? Bilsteins gas shocks seem to be very popular but aside from hitting the field for duck hunting my rig is never offroad. The research I've found says hydraulic over gas shocks provides a better on-road comfort. My original stock leaf springs and 30 year old rancho's are toast. Thoughts?

This is the route I went:

Shocks.jpg

They give you the ability to adjust the dampening to fit your taste or driving conditions.

Bilstein shocks here and they have been the best shock I have run on my 40. I've read great things about Dobinsons IMS (have them on my 80), just don't have any first hand experience with them on a 40.

There is a very good reason to have gas pressurized shocks:

"Many shock absorbers contain pressurized nitrogen gas in them as well as the hydraulic oil. If a shock has to react very rapidly to an up and down motion the hydraulic oil can start to foam. This foam causes the shock to lose some of its control. The purpose of the gas in the shock is to keep the oil under pressure so it is less likely to foam. This is the same reason a can of soda that has been shaken is still a liquid until you pop the top. The foam doesn’t start until the pressure is released."

There is a very good reason to have gas pressurized shocks:

"Many shock absorbers contain pressurized nitrogen gas in them as well as the hydraulic oil. If a shock has to react very rapidly to an up and down motion the hydraulic oil can start to foam. This foam causes the shock to lose some of its control. The purpose of the gas in the shock is to keep the oil under pressure so it is less likely to foam. This is the same reason a can of soda that has been shaken is still a liquid until you pop the top. The foam doesn’t start until the pressure is released."

Maybe for high speed offroad gas is better, but for the steet and slow trail riding , my old doetsch tech prerunner hydro shocks never fail

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom