Best fridge / freezer poll - post reasons why you picked (2 Viewers)

Which is the best brand of refrigerator / freezer combo?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an ARB 63qt / 60Liter and love it. I have had it running pretty much consistently for the past 3 months and only a couple times has it drained the battery enough the I had to hit my toggle switch to jump start myself from the backup battery. (I run all loads of the main battery with a backup battery having no loads)

Interesting fact -

50L fridge using a Danfoss BD35 compressor will consume 240-770 Watts in a 24hr period. The range show how ambient temp, amount of content, type of content, and how often it is opened effects the power consumption.

doubly-interesting fact: Power is not the same thing as Energy! And they have different units! :D

But you knew that, so you must have meant Watt-hours maybe?

For comparison, last time I checked my Edgestar 63L set to 0F in about 80F ambience, at steady-state it was pulling 70W (of AC) when on and running 68% of the time, which makes it about 1140Wh / day. But again that is set to freezer so of course much higher draw than just fridge mode. And I still have not found out what kind of compressor this thing is using...

doubly-interesting fact: Power is not the same thing as Energy! And they have different units! :D

But you knew that, so you must have meant Watt-hours maybe?

For comparison, last time I checked my Edgestar 63L set to 0F in about 80F ambience, at steady-state it was pulling 70W (of AC) when on and running 68% of the time, which makes it about 1140Wh / day. But again that is set to freezer so of course much higher draw than just fridge mode. And I still have not found out what kind of compressor this thing is using...

What is ambience?

Mozart or Hendricks depending on the mood... The freezer is working harder when it's Hard Rock, unsurprisingly.... :cheers:

I would call an outside thermometer -preferably wireless and preferably with an audible alarm- a must when you're taking a fridge on the road. You don't want to discover in the morning that your fridge stopped running overnight... And you may want to keep in mind when you set up the probe that there are large variations in temperature inside most fridges.

I need a dual battery set up

I have used the Engel wireless one for years, it works great.
Keep it on the side of the fridge, in your tent, or out by the eating table.

3.jpg

A group 31 battery has the same AH as 2 group 34 batteries. A much less costly and simpler choice for many.
True, but a second battery properly set up and isolated does give user security when unsupported in back country.

True, but a second battery properly set up and isolated does give user security when unsupported in back country.

Looking at it from a cost, performance, and reliability you are much better served with a group 31 battery and an Antigravity jump bag. More usable AH, less to go wrong, always have a backup that can be used for several other needs in the backcountry.

After setting up and running numerous dual battery set ups over the years I cant recommend them any more with the introduction to jump bags.

Another ARB feature is the continuous LED temperature readout on the outside of the fridge. I can read mine through the back window of my 55, or when accessing gear in the back. Makes it easy to monitor the temp.

agree with Phil about the other option, although of course a dual battery setup is great, but I for one have been feeling safe enough for many years with a good truck battery and a solid jump pack (which I tested seriously). And I travel alone a lot and far out there at times.

These days, I'm way more concerned about brakes than about the battery...

I always have jumper cables and i NEVER wheel the backcountry alone.. Ill see what autozone or kragon has for Group31 batteries

I always have jumper cables and i NEVER wheel the backcountry alone.. Ill see what autozone or kragon has for Group31 batteries

Sears has a "regular" group 31 Marine battery that I'm using. It's about half the price of the diehard platinum, but seems to be working pretty well so far. I haven't ran it for more than 8 hours with a loaded fridge, but I expect it to last 16-24 hours. I don't park the truck for days when we are out camping or other exploring.

I agree with trying out a bigger battery, monitor the level, and take a couple small jump packs. Seems like I end up using the jump pack to charge small devices when we are outdoors anyway.

Yeah, no sears here. Drove 2hrs to Helena and they don't carry batteries. I'm not driving all over Montana.

I see the arb monitor is specific to the fridge. Does anyone have a non-arb wireless monitoring system that works well? I could probably buy a cheap outdoor wireless thermometer and display, but not sure how that would look.

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/Twozone-WH-02...=1439174687&sr=8-2&keywords=engel+thermometer

It's identical to the $39 Engel two zone thermometer but it's only $19. I keep the display (fridge temp and inside truck temp) in that weird little "cup holder" under the dash and in front of the shifter in an 80 that no cup will fit in. It's perfect there, you can easily read both temps at a glance. If you look on amazon you can see the Engel version, they look the same.

The sender stays outside the fridge, the sensor is that peanut sized black thing on a clip. I clip it to the side of the basket about half way down to get a median temp rather than all the way down cold or slightly warmer near the top.

719yX5VHTBL._SL1500_.jpg

61emyfGqi%2BL._SL1165_.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at the Two Zone sensor. Is it run by batteries? Or can it be plugged in 12V?
Couldn't find specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom