Best diesel swaps for 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@LA Z would have to weigh in to be sure, but he could have gone with it partially because of the water inlet/outlet locations?
Probably, sure. He had it completely apart, including the core support, radiator, all of it. He could have changed it then if he wished to. But he did mention that the diesel engine might run cool in cold weather. Hasn't been a big problem.

I have a OM

I have a om617 in my ‘82 300td wagon. Any info on that motor put into an 80? That would be a cool build.
The om617 is a really good engine, but not for a 60 or an 80 LC.
I do have a 40 series with an OM617 engine and an H55 in it and it's pretty nice to drive.
Not going to win any races with it, but it will get to where I need to go.

I do have a 40 series with an OM617 engine and an H55 in it and it's pretty nice to drive.
This is a very important input, thank you for that.

A local buddy also has the same engine in his FJ40 and he had to install an Orion transfer case in order to make the thing work on the trail like he wanted to.

Probably, sure. He had it completely apart, including the core support, radiator, all of it. He could have changed it then if he wished to. But he did mention that the diesel engine might run cool in cold weather. Hasn't been a big problem.
I did go with the radiator that's in there because it fits perfectly behind the large intercooler.
Also my radiator is berried behind a few things like intercooler, transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, power steering cooler and the Ac condenser.
I figured I should give the engine the best chance to keep cool with all that stuff in front of it. It does work flawless in hot weather, but it might be
a bit much cooling in colder months. ( 10,000 Ft elevation in a middle of December )

Interesting what you say about the radiator. The shop which did the Toyota diesel swap oin my Series 80 left the original radiator for the truck in place. (my Series 80 began life as a USA-spec gas engined Cruiser) The radiator cools too well. In winter I have to block it off so the engine will come up to temp. The right thermostat is in it. I wonder if Toyota fitted a smaller radiator to Series 80 diesels in Japan and ROW; diesels produce less waste heat than do gasoline engines, I think, and the gas radiator may be too large. I also rercently fitted an oil pan heater, so that it's warmer when it starts up.

Japan and European markets had a "snow version" for cold climates. Part of the standard equipment was a roll down radiator blind to reduce airflow across the core.

True that currently I am not located in US but I opted for the 1HD-FTE, the reason is that I have zero fabrication skills and this conversion requires zero fabrication. All bolts to the frame as it should ( engine, trans ), the wiring can be outsourced. A lot of knowledge on FB pages dedicated to conversion. I would recommend this conversion all the times.

True that currently I am not located in US but I opted for the 1HD-FTE, the reason is that I have zero fabrication skills and this conversion requires zero fabrication. All bolts to the frame as it should ( engine, trans ), the wiring can be outsourced. A lot of knowledge on FB pages dedicated to conversion. I would recommend this conversion all the times.
The 1HD-FTE might be the gold standard for a diesel swap, but they seem to be quite costly in the states. I'd venture to guess you could do the entire OM606 swap (including a turbo and manifold upgrade) for just the cost of a 1HD-FTE or maybe even 1HD-FT

Why do so many Australians, with limitless access to Toyota's best diesels, go to the expense and trouble of importing 6BT Cummins engines for their 80's and Patrols?

Why do so many Australians, with limitless access to Toyota's best diesels, go to the expense and trouble of importing 6BT Cummins engines for their 80's and Patrols?
I think you'd find it a pretty small number. Not at all a common thing to do
GM 6.5 V8 diesel was a popular conversion for a while too (still not big numbers being done) because people can't get past the cool factor of having a V8 diesel. Didn't matter that they are a heavy dog if an engine with overheating problems.

The Cummins engines are rare in Australia, and have a certain amount of novelty and coolness.
I'd love to have a 5.9 Cummins in a truck, they have quite a reputation. But I wouldn't put one in a Landcruiser as a first choice.

People spend illogical amounts of money on cruisers cos they get fixated on an idea, and their cruisers are their babies. Doesn't make it the best choice.

Obtaining one of these bad boys is quite challenging and hurtful to the wallet 😡

I know a guy here onMud with a 60s with OM606 conversion. I belived he run a 606 with 603 pump and SRT8 transmission. He make his own adapter to his 60s split case.
I was looking into that route but om606 and parts are harder and harder to find. The best way get an om606 is to find a crash 97-99 E300 from auction and take whatever you need than dump it. That route is probably cheaper than import an 1HDT

I think it’s a combination of two things… grass is always greener, or guys who get so deep into fixing the stock Toyota stuff for what they need and it’s still breaks.

I’m kind of amazed at how many I see on the FB groups who have done it in Oz.

Reactions: PIP
That’s super cool. Would love to see some pics. Yep for sure they aren’t fast but I’ve never seen one that doesn’t run lol.

Am I crazy for considering a Cummins 6.7 m2?
1) will it fit
2) what would retrofit cost
3) what need I consider on the install side?

Am I crazy for considering a Cummins 6.7 m2?
1) will it fit
2) what would retrofit cost
3) what need I consider on the install side?

What does M2 mean?
1) Yes
2) $25k+
3) More than I want to type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom