Best diesel swaps for 80 series?

Website
instagram.com
I found an 80 series with a blown motor for sale (I own a 40 series but never owned an 80). I've been thinking about buying this one and putting a diesel engine in it. Any common or easy swaps you'd recommend?

I found an 80 series with a blown motor for sale (I own a 40 series but never owned an 80). I've been thinking about buying this one and putting a diesel engine in it. Any common or easy swaps you'd recommend?
I have a Detroit 6.5 turbo diesel in mine; Cummins R2.8 crate motor is popular. I'm looking into dropping one of those in mine soon.

+1 for om606.
You can’t go wrong with one of those, plenty of power and pretty good gas mileage.

5CE40A9F-AB4A-47C8-B53A-76B2B3DB5BA6.jpeg

Toyota 1hdt or 1hdft - do NOT go 1hdfte as the small increase on power depends on all the electronics.

A big US diesel is not as reliable.

Website
www.flickr.com
Living in the US I don't know why you would consider anything BUT a local diesel engine. Parts and tech are readily available and dirt cheap (compared to anything we can access in Oz).

The 60 in my avatar had a NA 6.2 GM diesel V8 and it never missed a beat.

If the 80 is a manual, a 6.5TD GM conversion is a cinch (I have no experience with converting an auto 80). Once you get sick of the TD, supercharge it.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hoZZpxYfXE

mudgudgeon

Resident galah
SILVER Star

What's your intended use of the vehicle?

A 1HD-FTE with manual trans would be my choice, hands down, IF money was no object.

In NA support and parts will be limited, so the cost will be high.

The engine and frame, suspension etc were engineered together so you're not compromising on balance, handling etc.

The 1HD-FTE can be tuned up for some big increases in power and torque with a aftermarket turbo.

In North America, Cummins with NV4500 trans. It's a readily available, well supported engine in terms of aftermarket and OEM parts. But it's a big heavy combo and isn't exactly bolt in.

If you're intending to wheel it, I'd say go for a lighter engine trans combo.

A guy in our local club swapped in an Isuzu 4 cyl diesel. I think it bolted right up to the trans and engine mounts. Had sufficient power, but the thing shook like crazy at idle.

PIP

I've looked at and ridden in a few local 5.9 Cummins powered 80's and I can't find anything not to like except maybe the transmission. I'm planning to stick a 12 valve and 6 speed Allison in my triple locked low mile 94 when I get my current project vehicle wrapped up. I think a 350HP 12 valve with a properly tuned Allison would be a superb compliment to the 80 series chassis and body. We shall see.

My buddy has a 60 and an 80 with an Isuzu. They’re great. The 60 is nv4500, the 80 is stock auto. Both are way more powerful than the stock engines. The 80 is pretty easy to spin the tires without much effort. They don’t shake too badly. Waaaaay less than a 4bt. Similar to a 6bt.

I also have seen an adapter for the M57 I6 diesel and 6hp26 6 speed auto to the HF2A. Tons of guys do these in patrols and LR’s. I’ve not seen a LC yet, but I’m sure they’re out there. It’s a great engine with tons of support.

Have you actually seen a standalone/full manual 6L80E?? There's lots of full manual options for the 4L80E, but I've found nothing for the 6L80E.
Getawaycarz has their $5k setup and Compushift have been saying coming soon for awhile now, but neither is a simple full manual setup.
I'm keen to know, as here in Auz, 6L80E's are cheap and 4L80E's are stupid money.
Thanks.

Have you actually seen a standalone/full manual 6L80E?? There's lots of full manual options for the 4L80E, but I've found nothing for the 6L80E.
Getawaycarz has their $5k setup and Compushift have been saying coming soon for awhile now, but neither is a simple full manual setup.
I'm keen to know, as here in Auz, 6L80E's are cheap and 4L80E's are stupid money.
Thanks.
Hehehehe I’m dumb, I meant 4l80😂 my bad

I don't have tons of knowledge to share on this, but personally I'd love to have a diesel in mine. I've stayed away from it though since mine is factory triple locked. My assumption has been that if I don't stick with the factory engine then I'm probably using a different ECU, and would most likely lose the ability to use the lockers. Is that true or false? For those that have done engine swaps, have you retained the OEM ECU or used the ECU from the donor engine?

Tank5

SILVER Star
I don't have tons of knowledge to share on this, but personally I'd love to have a diesel in mine. I've stayed away from it though since mine is factory triple locked. My assumption has been that if I don't stick with the factory engine then I'm probably using a different ECU, and would most likely lose the ability to use the lockers. Is that true or false? For those that have done engine swaps, have you retained the OEM ECU or used the ECU from the donor engine?

I had a triple locked 97 80 with a 6BT Cummins. You can keep all the oem switches functional without the engine ecu.

mudgudgeon

Resident galah
SILVER Star

Lockers operate from their own ECU.
Completely separate to engine/trans

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom