Best 16" Tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my LX470 used and it had a very uneven worn set of General Grabbers on the vehicle. I have been extremely impressed by this tire and having a hard time debating between getting a brand new set or a set of michelins. I usually buy michelin ltx m/s tires and usually don't mind spending the extra cash to have the best performing tire. I drive 100% on the highway in chicago (esp using my LX in snow/rain/construction/medians).

The way I see it is I have 3 options:
1.) Buy a set in stock size P275/70/16 of general grabbers for $400
2.) Buy a set in stock size of Michelin LTX M/S for $800
3.) Buy a set of Michelin LTX2 M/S in 265/75-16 or 235/85-16 (worried about going with a non stock size and how it might affect electronics) for $900

Any advice appreciated - I have to have the best tires.

I have the 16" Michelin LTX M/S on my QX4 but they dont grab as well as the grabbers on the LX470 but tire sizes are different and Toyota 4WD is amazing.

I love my LandCruiser tooo much that I drive it all the time!

Holy s*** those grabbers are so daamn cheap!

And they work well in highway/snow driving?

Sent from my iPhone, please embrace the typos

I love my LandCruiser tooo much that I drive it all the time!
I'm all about saving money, but typically really cheap and "needing the best" won't go together. Go on tirerack.com and read some reviews. That could help you decide.

I'm all about saving money, but typically really cheap and "needing the best" won't go together. Go on tirerack.com and read some reviews. That could help you decide.

My shock is that these general tires are soo good I can hardly imagine something better.

I would go with the Grabbers. You wont get double the mileage out of the Michelins at double the price. Your already happy. Keep $400 in your pocket and be even happier.

My 2 cents, the uneven wear on your old set could be due to the tire being inferior for the vehicle (super heavy truck). Also could be alignment, shock, etc. If the generals start chopping after 10k miles, and the noise doesn't bother you, go for it and save some money. I keep Michelin on my LX, but it's driven primarily on dry streets.

Not to hop on another tire thread, but the Michelins can get 70 or 80 k miles if you treat them right.

It's the best street truck tire around

Yeah I'm with Jason, I ran the Michelins for 13 yrs on my truck until switching to 33" DuraTracs. The LTXs are probably the best thing you can run on a Cruiser. As Jason said, treat them right and they'll treat you right.

I bought my LX470 used and it had a very uneven worn set of General Grabbers on the vehicle. I have been extremely impressed by this tire and having a hard time debating between getting a brand new set or a set of michelins. I usually buy michelin ltx m/s tires and usually don't mind spending the extra cash to have the best performing tire. I drive 100% on the highway in chicago (esp using my LX in snow/rain/construction/medians).

The way I see it is I have 3 options:
1.) Buy a set in stock size P275/70/16 of general grabbers for $400
2.) Buy a set in stock size of Michelin LTX M/S for $800
3.) Buy a set of Michelin LTX2 M/S in 265/75-16 or 235/85-16 (worried about going with a non stock size and how it might affect electronics) for $900

I've used the Michelin LTX M/S for 10 years; they do last and are decedent all-season tires. But I'll not buy again, as I always seem to get stuck with one or more that have tread and/or side-wall hop (defect). Can't get balance perfect with this defect, I'm very big on a perfect balance and no vibration. I was told LTX2 corrected this issue, but can't personally attest to that.

The sizes you stated for LTX2 shouldn't affect electronics but may effect odometer. Off-set is primarily controlled by wheel; which can affects alignment and centering over wheel bearings. Ask alignment shop at Dealer not tire store about these issues, no matter what you read here.

IMHO if affordability is not the issues buy the best.

Thanks for the replies everyone. You are helping change my mind back to Michelins.

My 2 cents, the uneven wear on your old set could be due to the tire being inferior for the vehicle (super heavy truck). Also could be alignment, shock, etc. If the generals start chopping after 10k miles, and the noise doesn't bother you, go for it and save some money. I keep Michelin on my LX, but it's driven primarily on dry streets.

I think the previous owner was a soccer mom who didn't care for her car that much. The car has mismatched wheels and it just seems like they didn't care to have 4 proper tires on the vehicle. There is some tread left on 2 tires but one of them is leaking so rather than repairing I thought I would replace the whole set with whatever tires I want.

I have never seen anyone complain about Michelins and when the LTX M/S first came out I was a huge fan. I am new to full time 4WD and love how it handles in rain. I swear the worst tornado hit chicago this year and I drove my LX right through the center of it at 70mph. It was an awesome feeling! Every other car on the road was stuck and the only other cars moving were semi's. It was raining soo hard that there was flash flooding under bridges and my car was submerged like a submarine but didn't slow down.

Can anyone tell me if I should consider one of these sizes and go with the Michelin LX2 M/S:
265/75R16
235/85-16

The LX2's are rated much higher but I am worried about increasing the sidewall and how it will affect handling? I do know I love the 70's and how I can run over medians and other road debris and not feel it. But a larger sidewall may make it to stiff and not allow for quick lane changes (I love doing them now that I have my supercharger installed).

The ability to run over medians has always been at the top of my list when choosing tires. This isn't another "chasing the vibration" thread is it?

Can anyone tell me if I should consider one of these sizes and go with the Michelin LX2 M/S:
265/75R16
235/85-16

The LX2's are rated much higher but I am worried about increasing the sidewall and how it will affect handling? I do know I love the 70's and how I can run over medians and other road debris and not feel it. But a larger sidewall may make it to stiff and not allow for quick lane changes (I love doing them now that I have my supercharger installed).

The only differences you're looking at in those two tires is a .4" (265) or .5" (235) increase in the sidewall size and 10mm or 40mm skinnier tire width. You won't be able to tell the difference in sidewall size but you might be able to tell the difference in width. I suggest the 265s between those two if you don't want much of a change.

Are you sure it won't affect the ABS or some other system by running a size out of spec? I understand the speedometer will show 1mph off at higher speeds (60+ mph), which in turn may give slightly wrong mileage on the odometer.

Pretty positive, I think you can have those systems reset too once you change your tire size. But honestly it's not a big enough difference to where I'd worry about it. Most guys on here are running 33s and 35s and not many people have had issues with it. So I don't think increasing size by half an inch is going to affect anything that you'll notice. So if those are the options you're weighing then go with whatever you like the best, you won't notice a huge difference between anything but the widths.

For routine travel, I highly favor the Michelin LTX M/S 275/70-HR16. It is only a few bucks more than the S rated tire, but performs better. I typically get about 70K on them with wear to about 5/32, when I get another set. Below 5/32 the ride, noise level, and traction start deteriorating. An alternative Michelin I like is the LTX A/T that I had on my F150 4x4 - 85K miles and only down to 7/32 and super great job in the ice (over 300 miles one day on glaze ice without problems for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom