Belt hell ie if you thought no question was too stupid you are wrong (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
WTH am I doing wrong????

Baselining a recent purchase, 96 FZJ. One of the alt belts pushed itself to the top of the list by imploding during a ujoint replacement test drive. Limped 5 blocks home but had steam when I went up the driveway. So we will see what mystery that leaves after it is running again.

So took the opportunity to replace idler pulleys and replaced all three belts, with OEM, alt belts 90916-02353-83. A good 2 inches short at full alternator inboard. Got to looking at the alternator, replacement Denso, thought the pulleys or config might be wrong and the PO just got longer belts.

So just installed OEM reman alternator and - same cottonpickin thing (pardon the language). Barely fits if I bypass the pulley, at full inboard alternator position.

WTH am I doing wrong???

Routing the belts wrong is my guess.
Good guess. Just figured it out.

Needed to vent to the masters and then meditate on this. Bingo! Forum to the rescue, even if indirectly!

For the 1FZFE engine the alternator belts should be routed to the outer aspect of the idler pulley, not inner. Been discussed in the past, but the MUD consensus was that pulley functions more like a belt anti-bounce device compared to other pulley types that put some degree of constant tension on the belts. FWIW.

For the 1FZFE engine the alternator belts should be routed to the outer aspect of the idler pulley, not inner. Been discussed in the past, but the MUD consensus was that pulley functions more like a belt anti-bounce device compared to other pulley types that put some degree of constant tension on the belts. FWIW.
I committed the ultimate forum sin, I spouted my frustration before I searched. Of course it goes outside the pulley. Mystery solved.

Deepest apologies and humblest gratitude.

Or as Roseanne Rosannadanna would say,
“never mind”

WTH am I doing wrong???

This: Incorrect

Belts Wrong.jpg

Correct:

belt routing.png

Belt Route.jpg
Belts2.jpg

WTH am I doing wrong????

Baselining a recent purchase, 96 FZJ. One of the alt belts pushed itself to the top of the list by imploding during a ujoint replacement test drive. Limped 5 blocks home but had steam when I went up the driveway. So we will see what mystery that leaves after it is running again.

So took the opportunity to replace idler pulleys and replaced all three belts, with OEM, alt belts 90916-02353-83. A good 2 inches short at full alternator inboard. Got to looking at the alternator, replacement Denso, thought the pulleys or config might be wrong and the PO just got longer belts.

So just installed OEM reman alternator and - same cottonpickin thing (pardon the language). Barely fits if I bypass the pulley, at full inboard alternator position.

WTH am I doing wrong???
Don't feel too bad, l might have done the same thing next week when I put my engine back in.
Now, I'll look like a hero; thanks to you!

@flintknapper you are what my people and I would call a walking T.O. In my field of aircraft maintenance. TO = technical order. Like a walking book of knowledge.

@BILT4ME is too. I’d still be wondering what was missing from my AC service port if not for him. A cap.

Don't feel too bad, l might have done the same thing next week when I put my engine back in.
Now, I'll look like a hero; thanks to you!

It's a common mistake. When you look at nearly all other tensioner applications (serpentine or not) the belts are routed similar to the first pic in my post previous to this. Honestly, I don't see how Toyota considers this routing to be 'tensioned' as much as it is an anti-flutter/bounce device. The belts just barely engage the pulley and many folks run the belts without it.

Not the first time we've seen a person puzzled over their belts seemingly being a couple inches too short. 👍

OP quickly figured it out. I just posted for posterity's sake.

The pics are terrific, hope it helps the next guy.
The belts cremated so I didn’t see where they came from and astutely misassumed they went inside the pulley. Confirmed by a mechanic friend who was sure the PO out the wrong alternator pulleys on and I drank the Koolaid of a new alternator. Not necessarily a bad thing but die the wrong reason.

So successful install, top off w red and distilled, smooth start and test drive, temps good. And I get home and it pukes about 300ml of thin oily liquid on my driveway. Vigorously.

Praying for a radiator overfill. As I search the 1Fz-F market -

Fun fact...many 80s run fine without that little pulley, including mine. Glad you got it all sorted out.

Fun fact...many 80s run fine without that little pulley, including mine. Glad you got it all sorted out.

True enough. As previously stated I consider the pulley an 'idler' at best, not a tensioner anyway, but IF you decide to omit it...I would recommend replacing the shoulder bolt with shorter threaded bolt to maintain the clamping force on the Oil Pump Cover (which is already prone to leaks). Don't just omit the shoulder bolt and leave the open hole.

Oil Pump Cover01.jpg
Oil Pump Cover02.jpg

True enough. As previously stated I consider the pulley an 'idler' at best, not a tensioner anyway, but IF you decide to omit it...I would recommend replacing the shoulder bolt with shorter threaded bolt to maintain the clamping force on the Oil Pump Cover (which is already prone to leaks). Don't just omit the shoulder bolt and leave the open hole.
This ^^^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom