Bed system for the back of an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tripleplate.com
Now that my 80 isn't my daily driver anymore, I wanted to set it up more for wheeling trips. One of the things that I want to do is build a bed system for the back. For long trips previously, I had always pulled out the 2nd row seats and used a therma rest for a mattress when I needed to sleep in the truck. I'm thinking now of constructing a removable system where I would have a sleeping platform that would be 12-14" off of the floor, with storage under it. For situations where I may have another person along, I'd like to make a hinging mechanism that will allow me to open up the top to allow double the width for two people. I was thinking of simply using hinges along one side of the plywood platform, then attaching another sheet of equal width. When I am sleeping solo, it would just be folded so the plywood was doubled up, then I would just swing it open for the full width.

Anyone here done anything similar in their rigs? I'd like to see some pictures to give me some ideas.

thanx

way back when I built something like that for a van. Used these slotted L beam affairs and essentially constructed a bed frame with intermediate supports. Plywood on top. Worked great, could store loads and easily removable. Very modular too.

As far as the bed goes, I'm planning on making a set of drawers that have the same height as the 2nd row folded down. That way I can put a double air matress on the drawers and the over the folded 2nd row.

You would still have storage in the drawers, seating for 5, an almost level area for 4' x 8' plywood and the air matress. For more storage you can rig a shelf over the cargo area and somehow attach it to the holy sh!t (grab) handles in the back.

I'm also thinking for good ventilation and to keep the bugs out, making mesh insert for the rear sliders and the sunroof.

That is the idea that I'm shooting for, storage drawers under the one side of it, then have it fold out for full width with a couple of screw in legs for when it is open for support.

I'd like to make some screens as well, Photoman made some cool wood framed ones for the back sliders, they seemed to work pretty well.

Not sure where you guys are located, but costco Santa Cruz has the swedish style "memory foam" mattress pads for sale in all sizes. They were about 100-150 dollars (depending on size) and fit in back of my hj-60 nicely. They are about 3 inches thick. Very cozy.

-david

Kristian,

A club member built a system made of heavy gauge aluminum sheet. It bolts to a set of the brackets that attach to the 3rd row seats. Not the ones that bolt to the floor and the wheel well; the brackets that bolt to the seats and then clamp to the floor brackets. This enables the folding base to be removed yet firmly attached when in the truck. He has a lot of angle iron and square tubing for support of the alum sheet(s); it is cut in half for folding up and removing. The legs are braced by fitting into verticle tubes attached to the bottom of the cargo area and secured with bolt from underneath the truck.

I have pics somewhere if you're looking for ideas.

-B-

Yes, there is a lot of storage underneath but I don't think he uses it for a bed. It's basically a false floor. It is carpeted and securely mounted but unlike many that are wood, his is all metal. I will post some pics this evening.

-B-

I have a pretty decent setup in my 80 that I've used extensively. I cut two pieces of plywood to act as vertical supports for a bed. The verticals are bolted into the existing holes where the third seats were mounted before I removed them. I made up some custom brackets so that these verticals are flush against the wheel wells and stand about 13" high so that they are the same height as the back of the second row seat folded half way down. The top is in two pieces that store underneath my rubber cargo liner and then rotate 90 degrees so that the first board lays flat across the vertical supports and the second piece of the top catches the front of the verticals and rests on the front part of the backs of the second row seats folded halfway down. This provides for a perfectly flat surface about 42 " wide so that I can store things on the sides by the wheel wells and about 72" long without moving the front seats forward. Underneath the top in the cargo area is a ton of storage approx. 40x42x13. My spare fits there nicely if needed and storage boxes help keep things accessible. I really like the fact that the top stores under the cargo liner so that I have full use of the space between the wheel wells at full height if needed but can put the top on and secure it in about 3 minutes. To finish the wood I painted it gray like the interior and then covered the vertical supports in grey vinyl. These supports are cut at two angles on the leading edge or frontside to allow my second row seats to recline and the supports also keep all my shiat organized in the back on the sides near the wheel wells. For sleeping I put two exercise mats made out of 1.5" dense foam on the top. They are 24x72" each and fit nicely. They are way more comfortable than a Thermarest and I actually slept on this setup for 6 weeks during a summer trip. It would be a little tight for two guys for that period of time...it works in a pinch but my girl and I were actually quite comfortable. I made screens for the back windows that velcroed in place and they worked well but I am not yet completely satisfied with that setup yet....they are a work in progress. Hope this helps and I'll try to post pics sometime soon.

snowcruiser said:
I have a pretty decent setup in my 80 that I've used extensively. I cut two pieces of plywood to act as vertical supports for a bed. The verticals are bolted into the existing holes where the third seats were mounted before I removed them. I made up some custom brackets so that these verticals are flush against the wheel wells and stand about 13" high so that they are the same height as the back of the second row seat folded half way down. The top is in two pieces that store underneath my rubber cargo liner and then rotate 90 degrees so that the first board lays flat across the vertical supports and the second piece of the top catches the front of the verticals and rests on the front part of the backs of the second row seats folded halfway down. This provides for a perfectly flat surface about 42 " wide so that I can store things on the sides by the wheel wells and about 72" long without moving the front seats forward. Underneath the top in the cargo area is a ton of storage approx. 40x42x13. My spare fits there nicely if needed and storage boxes help keep things accessible. I really like the fact that the top stores under the cargo liner so that I have full use of the space between the wheel wells at full height if needed but can put the top on and secure it in about 3 minutes. To finish the wood I painted it gray like the interior and then covered the vertical supports in grey vinyl. These supports are cut at two angles on the leading edge or frontside to allow my second row seats to recline and the supports also keep all my shiat organized in the back on the sides near the wheel wells. For sleeping I put two exercise mats made out of 1.5" dense foam on the top. They are 24x72" each and fit nicely. They are way more comfortable than a Thermarest and I actually slept on this setup for 6 weeks during a summer trip. It would be a little tight for two guys for that period of time...it works in a pinch but my girl and I were actually quite comfortable. I made screens for the back windows that velcroed in place and they worked well but I am not yet completely satisfied with that setup yet....they are a work in progress. Hope this helps and I'll try to post pics sometime soon.

That sounds about like what I want to do. I like the idea of being able to leave the second row seats in, that could be handy. If you get a chance to post some pics, I'd be appreciative. For the velcro screen windows, did you frame the screen, then velcro it from the inside?

One thing I was considering is taking my sliding sunroof shade, and cutting the center out and installing screen on it. The more ventilation the better as far as I'm concerned.

For the screens I first put them on the inside of the truck but the velcro would stick that well in high temps. Moved the velcro to the outside and it worked much better. Could place screen on at any point and then open window from inside without catching the screen. My new version will definitely go on the outside somehow but I am still trying to figure out how. I may cut a piece of lexan to the size of the window as someone suggested and cut out a hole in it where the screen will fit to that I have a rigid frame that just kinda pops into the outside channel of one of the sliding windows. For the sunroof you'll have to figure out a way to close the shade with the roof open but I would caution you as dew and moisture may be a problem. The rear windows open with a battery fan and your heads by the window really works well....snow

Snow,

That's a very clever setup. Pics please.

DougM

I know Pismo Jim built some drawer/bed system for the back of his 60 and 80. He also has PDF(?) plans on his website for them too.

www.realcruiser.com

I too am looking to do something like this. But currently my trips are just my wife and I and the dog. I just leave my 2nd and 3rd row seats out. In fact I can't remember when they were in. :D

Well, I built the bed before I split out to CO. Took me only a couple of hours. I used 5/8th's masonite and it turned out nice. It's a full 6' long and stands 22" off of the floor. I'm able to slide alot of my gear underneath it and still able to stretch out nicely on the bed. I took some shots but since I don't have a digi cam, will have to post them up when I get them developed. Works great though and along with the wider Confer basket that I picked up from Yooper, I've got plenty of room. Now that I'm living out of this truck for the next month and a half, that's good. :D

If you're 22" up from the floor, then is your face come close to the ceiling when you're laying down?

I need to do something similar and was thinking about using the same height as the second row seat folded down. However, what I was envisioning was a 4x8 of plywood cut to about 6', hinged and folded so that I can shorten the platform when the seats are being used. When the seats are folded down, then open the entire length (sort of like a bifold closet door) and use the backs of the folded seats for support. All space underneath will be used for storage of course.

Anyway, I need to start on this before Cruise moab so I've got some time yet. Looking forward to seeing some platform bed in the back of an 80 pics.

Ali

Pictures Please

Iron Man mentioned the mattress pad from Costcos. I could not find one that was 48" wide. Has anybody found a mattress 48" Wide X 6'-0 or longer? Also could it be rolled up. I have used the Thermorest, and want something a wee bit more comfortable.

SS

Last edited:
snowcruiser said:

Finally got around to taking some pics. This is the bed setup in my 80 without the gym mat that I usually sleep on. Take note of the custom blue-camo curtains. Sorry for the delay...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom